Why Prep?

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Witch Doctor 01, Sep 22, 2011.

1. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

Thanks, but there are a few things to think about.

There is good and bad in everything, sometimes it's pretty hard to see the good when you're going through #&!! . My wife and I have always had a great relationship but now it is gareenteed bullet proof. We have learned lessons and are better prepared mentally for anything life may through at us. I can't say I'm glad it happened but it has taught us things and has allowed us to show our daughter that not everything in life is going to go your way. She has seen first hand that when life knocks you down that it may be tough but when the dust settles and you've gotten back up and dusted yourself off, hard work will get you back on track.

What don't kill you will only make you stronger.

BWM

-06, tulianr and beast like this.
  2. wrc223

wrc223 Monkey+

I prep because I refuse to stand in a line for a handout.
    I prep because I have three little girls who count on me to provide for them.
    I prep because I refuse to let someone else decide my fate.
    I prep because I refuse to let someone else decide how much is enough for my family.
    I prep because I dont trust the Government.
    I prep because I dont trust wall st.
    I prep because I dont trust the utility companies.
    I prep because I have seen mother nature's ability.
    I prep because I am independent.
    I prep because I can see the societal decline.
    I prep because nobody else will do it.
    I prep because it is simply a good idea.
    I prep because I enjoy it as a hobby.
    I prep because it allows me to be in control of my fate.
    But mostly I prep because it gives me a piece of mind that no insurance plan ever has.
    <!-- / message -->

3. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

Well said wrc223...

4. sarawolf

sarawolf Monkey+++

Very good posts.
    We also prep to provide for our family members and don't wish to see our grandchildren go hungry, we did this when we were raising our children. And as they grew they knew we would always hae something to eat.
    We weathered many a storm that took out electric and economic down turns that left us with $5.00 left over after the bills were paid.
    Sickness that left me and dh not being able to get to a store for weeks.
    My mom and dad were children of the 1930's Depression and taught me many lessons just from observing what they did.

5. wrc223

wrc223 Monkey+

Preppin is also a great public service! When bad storms or floods hit and they have travel restrictions or road closures, we can hunker down for days on end without even noticing (besides you dont have to go to work). We had a blizzard here one year that shut everything down for days. When I say shut down, I mean even the plow trucks were off the road for over 14 hours. It was a few days until the state and county roads were passable let alone open for travel.
    We kept throwing wood on the fire and kept watch over the dutch oven filled with something good for dinner. Went out and cleared snow in shifts then came back in for some hot coffee or cocoa....maybe a slice of warm fresh bread. Building tunnels in the snow with the kids was great. Watching the dog jump from spot to spot was quite a sight and she is a large breed dog. In the evening we would fire up the generator so we could watch some TV and run some circulation vents to distribute the heat around the house.
    Come to think of it, preppin makes "severe blizzards" fun!

Heck, instead of sayin why prep, ask why NOT prep?

BackwoodsmanUSA likes this.
  6. CaboWabo5150

CaboWabo5150 Hell's coming with me

weegrannymush and mysterymet like this.
  7. GrandpaDave

GrandpaDave Monkey++

the simple answer is we prep and study survival for the same reasons we study first aide... we do so hoping we never have to used them but if it should happen we have that ease of mind in knowing what to do... and if they don't buy that... play them the theme song for the movie "Deliverance"

tulianr likes this.
  8. Nutpantz

Nutpantz Monkey+

I prep because no one will prep for me.
    I refuse to be late, unprepared or caught off guard for lack of a little thinking ahead or planning.

As a wise man once said:
    Its easier to take off the jacket you do have than put on the jacket you don't have.

tulianr likes this.
  9. bad_karma00

bad_karma00 Monkey+

I don't think I've ever heard that put better.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7