Why the AR-15 Is the Greatest Rifle Ever, and the 6 Men Who are Working to Make It Better

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by HK_User, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Best AK clone I ever owned was a Valmet m76 FS in .223/.556... Tack driver

2. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

What I enjoy most with reloading is dialing in or tailoring a round for a rifle. Tweaking OAL, powder, primer etc.

I missed a Valmet M76 Hunter in .243 by a day. What stopped me from buying it was the caliber. Back then 7,62x39, 5,45, 5,56 etc were so inexpensive as compared to .243. I thought about it over the weekend and Monday after work, it was gone.
    VALMET MODEL 76 HUNTER CAL .243 WIN : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com
    Yes, I am still regretting it; thanks for the reminder.. ;);)

3. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Ouch Tikka.

Back in the mid 80's I found a HK-91. Purchased it and enjoyed it for awhile, but it was subsequently destroyed in a house fire.:rolleyes:

4. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I hate it when that happens.:eek::rolleyes:

5. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

And that's why a good monkey always takes his guns fishing! Lesson learned hard is a lesson learned well! :D

Altoidfishfins likes this.
  6. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

I did find a Tikka M595 Master Sporter. The shop wanted what they were worth. They changed their tune when I said it has been sitting for so long; it's covered with dust except for the hand prints you just made.

All:
    You did report the lost firearms to the police? :lol:
    A simpler solution buy old guns as the lack a pedigree or F2F from a private party. Give them a copy of your driver's license or CCW.

Altoidfishfins likes this.
  7. rjburk

rjburk Monkey

I have used M16/AR15's since 1979.....have yet to have one part break....used them from Central America to Afghanistan and never an issue....have built several from 80% lowers and they run like a champ, from 7.5 inch barrel to 20 inch....S&W IMO makes about the best AR you can buy, I have a custom 18 inch Blackheart with every bell and whistle, but I also have a S&W M&P 16 inch carbine that shoots sub MOA...not seen an AK that is even in the ballpark compared to an AR.....the AK never jams is just a myth....go to Afghanistan and you will see AK's jam....the silt and dust will foul any weapon....

8. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

This is still a great thread.

9. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Just built up a AR 300 BLACKOUT, great pistol!

10. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Not to derail any thing but what do you all think of the mini 14 ranch rifle ?

11. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

As long as you didn't blow the Barrel out, by running a couple of thousand Rounds thru it, the first Day, they make a great Carbine type .223.....

12. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I like them but eventually decided to go the AR route. The Mini-14 is lightweight, durable, and looks more like an ordinary rifle. They are less accurate then an AR, but more accurate than an AK, so they have acceptable accuracy for close ranges. You can take them down for cleaning using a cartridge as a tool and the piston system is easy to clean and keeps the heat and crud away from the bolt.. Ergos are great, especially the safety, but not as good overall as an AR.

Downsides are Mags are expensive, they are LOUD, and not user serviceable. Older ranch rifles have a relatively flimsy front sight and I would avoid those. You can't just drop in a new bolt they way you can an AR. I'd suggest sending it back to Ruger with no bolt telling them you "lost" it to get a spare, but it will ONLY work in THAT specific Mini when it comes back. The other big downside is cost - you can get TWO AR's right now for slightly more than the cost ONE mini.

Yard Dart likes this.
  13. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I've noticed that some of the larger Commiefornia sheriff dept have switched back to Mini 14s?

14. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I wonder if that is because their Constituants do not want their LEOs, carrying "Evil Black Weapons"....

Yard Dart and Gator 45/70 like this.
  15. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Well, your basic 77gr OTP is much more friendly when it's shot from a Mini...

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I was issued a number of M16's, and maintained and shot them well for most of my military career. I had to give them all back. I didn't rush out and buy an AR15 when I retired because I really don't care for them. There, I said it.

Over time I acquired some AR pieces in trades and deals that were too good to pass up. Eventually I had a complete AR15 in the popular M-4'ish configuration. Nope, I didn't like it either. No nostalgic feeling at all. I wanted to put something together, but didn't seem to like anything that I'd seen.

I have seen thousands of different AR's at the range over the years. A few were okay, they just didn't appeal to me.

But all is not lost! I have finally found an innovative AR configuration that I can love. I call it the AR50ML, and as the designation implies, it's a .50 caliber inline muzzle loader. As an inline muzzle loader platform I find the AR to be ideal.:)

1. stg58
  2. Dunerunner
  3. OldDude49
  4. HK_User
  5. Lancer
  6. Big Ron
  7. Oddcaliber
  8. Lancer
  9. Lancer
  10. RouteClearance
  11. HK_User
  12. Motomom34