Why veterans miss war

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OldDude49, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

AndyinEverson likes this.
  2. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Well, yeah, oil, and wheat, and minerals galore! He wanted everything west of the Urals which, if he got, would have changed things considerably; however, he gambled and lost and got a two front war instead. Many say, as well as my old landlord, that Stalin was planning to attack Germany while Germany was tied up fighting in the West, as such, it was a preemptive strike. I know many historians have dismissed this but lots of Germans (high-level too!), like my old landlord, that were there swear what they saw was preparations for the invasion of Germany.

chelloveck likes this.
  3. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

When I first got back I felt something was missing... found it... but my entire family for a time thought I was suicidal...

nope... was a terrible action junky for a time... nearly killed myself doing wild shit...

but the high I got... as the man said... smells are stronger... colors more... vivid...? etc....

and oddly any physical pains I had before it... seemed to be gone after... at least for a time...

realized what it was when I read about people having heroin like withdrawal when they couldn't run for some reason...

slide through and intersection on my back once... was on a goldwing... went down from an oil pool at the light...

was a semi coming from the other direction... when I got up and moved off the road... no pain... and recognized the high...

finally got myself to stop the crazy shit... realized it would not end well... but every now and then... well...

that was pretty much why I posted the first one...

Zimmy, STANGF150 and Bandit99 like this.
  4. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@OldDude49 what was that saying, "If you are not living close to the edge you are taking up too much room." Strange now that I am older and have done it all - well - all that I ever wanted to do, I feel contented and have no desire to test or prove myself. I really know who I am and what I am capable of, the good, the bad and the ugly. I suppose that is a good thing but, like you, sometimes I wonder how in the hell I am still alive... I always tell the wife, "I had no parents but I got an angel on my shoulder instead" and I believe that.

5. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

And Russia would have been defeated by Germany if it wasn't for the U.S. assistance, despite the terrible price the Germans paid in the winter because of Hitler's stupidity. Does the Christie suspension sound familiar? How about every Russian tank that came out of the original blueprints since then, especially the T34. Granted it was Russian ingenuity and hard work that got them the payoff, but much like the U.S. they went with "more is better" and Kursk 1943, the largest tank battle in history proved a great deal.

arleigh likes this.
  6. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

upload_2018-7-27_7-53-21.

mysterymet, Zimmy, BTPost and 2 others like this.
  7. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Some heroes don't wear a uniform.He IS a true American hero.

Zimmy, Alf60, BTPost and 1 other person like this.
  8. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson Black Powder Monkey

I would say that some veterans may miss war.
    Speaking only for myself : I am a veteran and I have seen combat....but I do not miss it.

Many parts of my combat tours were mind numbingly boring* :
    The sameness of doing the same routines over and over...
    Simply being in a not friendly place both land and people at times "hostile" ...where I could not truly relax...
    The lack of sleep and good chow...
    Eventually even the scenes of death and brutality got to be boring...

*Yet that very same , "sameness" or boredom is extremely dangerous...falling into a routine and taking things on appearance alone...can lead to mistakes...in combat some mistakes lead to death or wounded

At the same time combat can be the most intimate experience you can have with another person...even more intimate than lovemaking.
    In lovemaking you can create life...in combat you can take life and "create" life by saving yours or the lives of others.
    You are taking away the ultimate gift of life from another and giving yourself life.

War can also be a paradox....as someone posted earlier : " Because I was good at it "
    I too was "good at it" and I take pride in knowing this....along with the understanding of just why I did what I did .
    Saying as much to others , who have never served , can however lead to sidelong glances and lots of misunderstandings .
    It is a paradox because I was often at my "best" , when things were at there worst.

My service in the Army and my time in combat does indeed shape my thinking at times and my outlook.
    This can be a good thing ....but still I wouldn't say that I miss war.....
    Andy

Edit to add:
    How I felt about war in my early and mid twenties when I was busy in four different combat tours... is vastly different now at age 49
    One thing to to keep in mind when making or reading statements , is just how far one is removed from the event , can make a difference in how one views or feels about said event....

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I tried to go to the recruiting office monday, that lazy bastard was out by 1500L.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7