Wife's new ccw

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by oldawg, Apr 21, 2012.

1. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Wife just picked up a Taurus PT111 Pro as a ccw. Anyone have experience or advice on this weapon? Also noticed they offer this same footprint in 45acp. Probably won't give up my 1911s for it but would like to know anyones experience with it also.

2. jungatheart

jungatheart Beginner's Mind

I got a Kel Tec that is double action only and I find I prefer single action. Lots of others don't feel the same way.

3. Odglock

Odglock Monkey

I'm not a big fan of taurus. They are decent but I have seen a couple of lawsuits where they went off when dropped. They function pretty well though.

4. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

Junga, get you a Sig Sauer P238 .380acp. Like a Mini 1911 without the Grip Safety. Higher Price but Dead Cold Reliable!!! Or wait a few months until production begins of their 9mm version of it, the P938 =)
    sig_sauer_p238_sas_1. sig-238-sas-07.

jungatheart likes this.
  5. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Wife has both the PT111 and the PT745 (single stack .45) and loves them both. 745 is her EDC and the 111 is more her "range gun" as it has identical manual of arms and is much cheaper to shoot. Weight is nearly identical also.

They are both a bit small for my hands, but not so much as to render it unusable. YMMV

She did have to get accustomed to the Heine sights, but not that big of a deal.

Both are SA/DA

oldawg likes this.
  6. jungatheart

jungatheart Beginner's Mind

Thanks Strangf150, that looks like the perfect gun for me.

7. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Thanks techsar. Does she have trouble switching between the two sight types? I must have pulled up a different .45 when I was checking them out. Our pistol round stash is mainly .45 and 9mm so I could see having both with the 45 being her EDC also.

8. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

The sight issue was during the first range trip. After she realized what she was working with, there hasn't been any trouble transitioning from the MilPros to her SP101s or S&W BG380...or any other s :) To quote her - you have to line the dots like a snowman LOL

Do keep in mind that the Millennium Pro is very much an improvement over the Millennium...you don't want a plain Millennium. Both of her models are 3rd generation. The first 2 generations were DA only...3rd is SA/DA.

They do make a double stack .45 version as well - the PT145 - but to my wife the grip was not as comfortable. Slightly wider and IIRC the bulge on the rear was more pronounced...more of a feel than a visual difference.

Don Hume makes some great holsters for them. Will eat nearly any ammo.

HTH!

oldawg likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7