Wikileaks

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Clyde, Dec 3, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

That's why I am so hard on that young soldier and Assange. I have seen the end results of a compromised source. Most sources are not well meaning people that want AFG to flourish... they are looking for personal gain. But, some are. Those are the ones that help you to realize what you are fighting for and how much we really can help a people that are a lot worse off than us. Those are the ones that risk themselves, their family, and even their tribe to pass along what they know. All they are looking for in return is better life without the violence from AQ, the Taliban, Sadr, or whomever else. These are the people that make the mission worth it.

Those idiots are responsible for that person's death. The penalty should be heavy.

2. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I understand that. Every bit of it. And agree with it. It's been tried since the 1920s (I think) with the Fairness Doctrine (or some form thereof). Some corporations are getting away with it right now and I don't agree. That's not my beef. I believe in transparent government. I could care less about the embassy wires that were released. What's the real result... hurt feelings. I could care less about white house memos for the most part. What I do have a problem with is risking some poor guy's life just to make a name for yourself. That makes him the ultimate scum in my book. I don't think more legislation is needed to safeguard this.... just prosecute the crap out of the current violators under current law to set an example. In this case, anyone who handled the classified information to make it public.

3. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I totally agree, Al.

The only problem with it (and I believe we both know) is the fact that this whole situation is much bigger than Assange and this dirtbag traitor. If it all ended right there -FINE. String 'em up, no big loss.

But it doesn't end there, does it?

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Relevance is still lacking in your argument that seems to be pointed at ignoring the treasonous act by a (relatively) innocent dupe. What does it matter if TPTB are also guilty? Behind the scenes corruption does not deface nor denigrate the ideals. In fact, it makes upholding the ideals even more important to encourage the upright to not lose hope, perhaps even to encourage digging out the culpable. So this kid is part of the bread and circuses, maybe. A sacrificial goat, even. But once the charges are brought and the eventual punishment established, belief in the ideal system will be reinforced. Might also eventually result in the uprising you are hoping for.

5. Nigeria Please!

Nigeria Please! Monkey+

<-----------------------------

6. Brokor

Hey, whatever makes you feel better. But as long as I draw breath, I refuse to condemn a SINGLE person, no matter their "crime" as long as this corrupt government is in place. Morals be damned, this IS a police state, and this IS tyranny. Bush said it more plainly than anyone ever could, (surprising, I know) "Either you are with us...or you are with the terrorists." - Pretty much sums it all up.

After reconsidering, as far as I see it Ghrit, you aren't WRONG at all. Your perspective just isn't in line, that's all. Perhaps I am too much of a realist. I foresee a day not too far off in the distance where jaywalking will become just as terrible a crime as this soldier who is being accused of treason. And according to section 802 of the Patriot Act, we can see how far this government is willing to go to make that become a reality.

I see the future being paved, one corpse at a time.

7. ghrit

And so I'm to assume you'll let off murderers and child rapists? I know you better than that, I hope. So your approach is limited to anything the government does that does not deal with actual civil crimes? You are right, I don't get it at all. Anarchy.

8. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

One of the things I like about this forum is that even members in 180 degree disagreement on an issue can still debate and discuss back and forth without getting worked up or offended.

Some of the posts in this thread are great examples of that.

Nice job guys

9. Brokor

If the People cannot defend themselves, it begs for government to do it for them. I say, defend yourself and STOP expecting government to do it for you!

I don't know what horse you got on this morning, but I don't know anybody who got raped or molested. If I did, I would expect my family or LOCAL law enforcement to take care of the bugger. NOT the same thing I started on with this discussion, Ghrit.

You are now quickly approaching slippery slope territory. Do you really want to go down this road? We can argue all day. It won't do a bit of good You are set in your ways. I am in mine. The government is corrupt, it's BROKEN. It's primary enemy is YOU. Don't come around expecting ME to honor your traditional beliefs. THAT system is GONE.

That's it. Take it for what it is. Just don't go acting like some saint expecting me to buy the lie that the police state works because some silly tart got raped. I say carry a gun and don't get raped. I say let your family deal with your problem. I say let your local sheriff rally a posse and hunt the guy down. I say don't bother me with your petty problems. Live free, or go home and shut up. (not you Ghrit, just saying)

10. Brokor

lol spoke too soon.

No, I respect Ghrit. No hard feelings, just being comical not rude.

11. ghrit

melbo, he's right, you spoke too soon. B has his good points, I'm trying to dig them out --- (j/k, B, BYKT.)

[boozingbuddies]

12. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

13. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Geeze melbo you sure know how to be a thread killer .[nk]

14. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Nope, seemed more like gas on a fire.

15. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

[fart] Yea gas for sure.

16. Brokor

LOL, it's all good.

All is well that ends well. We each had our say in the matter. I am finished.

17. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

Glad you guys settled this, thought we'd have to call out the calvary.

18. Brokor

Well, when a person lets emotion into the equation, it is a sure sign that progress is about to end. It is best to back off and just leave well enough alone. The last thing I expect is to change the minds of others, and the very best I can do is present the information as clearly as possible and let the other person do the homework.

19. Brokor

Actually, I just read this for the first time. It would behoove you to know that I actually used to teach rape prevention to females for several years, along with knife defense and close combat training for state police. In my very first class, I would tell every female there that they must first shed the illusion that somebody else will protect them. That is the television indoctrination and traditional perspective of the past, where the "man" is the "hero" and would come to the rescue. The truth is, most rapes can be prevented and I taught them how to react. Since the first rule is to lose the misconception that they will be rescued, it creates the desire for them to learn how to defend themselves, and that is what I excelled at doing. I never had more of a butt whooping than I did in those classes -I made certain that every female walked away KNOWING they can handle an attacker (with the primary incentive based on escape). Now, I ask you, which is better? A police state based on lies and a system designed to enslave the population, or a truly free republic where its people can defend themselves? I see this as case closed. And don't bother with your response, I won't be reading it.

Leave your emotions at the door, friend.

20. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Amazon selling WikiLeaks cable excepts

Cables were self-published as a Kindle e-book

Updated: Thursday, 09 Dec 2010, 12:53 PM EST

Published : Thursday, 09 Dec 2010, 11:07 AM EST
    • DANA WOLLMAN,AP Technology Writer
    NEW YORK (AP) - Portions of the diplomatic cables contained in WikiLeaks are available for sale on Amazon's U.K. website, an odd twist after the company ousted the organization from its hosting service.
    Excerpts from some of the 250,000 classified documents were contained in a Kindle e-book self-published by an author listed as Heinz Duthel. The book isn't available in the U.S.; people in the U.K. can buy it for 7.37 pounds ($11.60).
    WikiLeaks has embarrassed Washington in recent weeks for exposing a trove of sensitive diplomatic documents, some of which contain brutally frank assessments of foreign governments. The e-book, viewed by The Associated Press in London, consists of excerpts along with reports on reaction to the releases from media and government officials. It also has a list of the cables by originating embassy.
    Amazon later added a disclaimer to that effect to the book's product page.
    "This book contains commentary and analysis regarding recent WikiLeaks disclosures, not the original material disclosed via the WikiLeaks website," it reads.
    The e-book does contain the original WikiLeaks material, but more in the form of excerpts than as entire cables. In some respects, the e-book isn't going much beyond what a blog or a news organization might publish.
    The title is an electronic book available for Amazon's Kindle e-reader and the company's software for reading Kindle books on mobile phones and computers. Amazon allows authors to submit their own works and shares revenue with them.
    WikiLeaks has been migrating around the world, using Internet companies in different countries to host the site. Last week, Amazon.com Inc. ousted WikiLeaks from its servers, citing a violation of its terms of service.
    Other U.S. companies have also attempted to distance themselves from the leak. MasterCard Inc., Visa Inc. and PayPal have all made it impossible for people to donate money to the organization behind WikiLeaks. A Visa credit card was used by the AP to buy the Kindle e-book, underscoring the difficulties private companies have trying to stop the flow of information.
    WikiLeaks' website, founded by Julian Assange, allows people to access the documents directly instead of forcing them to rely on newspapers and other media organizations to reprint excerpts.
    Duthel, the book's listed author, also sells self-published books such as "Julian Assange. The Whistleblower. Traitor or Hero?" and "Secret and Intelligence Service Encyclopedia." Another is "Discovering Asian Women."
    This isn't the first time Amazon has come under fire for selling a controversial book. Last month, Amazon was found to be selling a self-published guide that offered advice to pedophiles, raising questions about how — and if — it vets the self-published books it sells. The book later disappeared, but it wasn't clear whether Amazon or the author had pulled it.
    ___
    AP writer Jill Lawless in London contributed to this report.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7