Wild game by the fire

Discussion in 'Turf and Surf Hunting and Fishing' started by Dunerunner, Jan 8, 2023.

1. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

A nod to @Hanzo for rekindling this in my mind. As a child of perhaps 5 or 6, my parents took me to a salmon bbq. This being in the early 1950's, the fish were plentiful and the bbq pits were huge. As I write this I can taste the fresh roasted fish. Made me think of how a community or tribe would forage and provide for all of its members.

Traditional-Salmon-Barbeque-FRV-1608.

Alanaana, Hanzo, SB21 and 2 others like this.
  2. Dunerunner

Whole goat in Argentina...

Argentina-3-480.

Alanaana, Hanzo, SB21 and 2 others like this.
  3. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

The done thing where I grew up was “lamb” on a spit !! A mate who was handy with a welder and electrical made one up that could take three sheep/pigs etc. He had welded up some half beer kegs for the coals. The stands could adjust on or out depending on how many critters were on the pole. Many many fond memories of those roasts !!! My 21st was catered like this along with many other functions.

4. Dunerunner

There is always seafood Piaia... Not my choice of Chardonnay, though!! Seafood Camp.

5. Dunerunner

Foraged mussels simmered in beer, fr=educed fish stock or bottled clam juice, butter, garlic, onion and fresh herbs... Preferably an American Wheat beer like Blue Moon and not what this guy is using.
    Pouring-beer-on-mussels.

6. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I remember as a kid in the 1960s, our big extended family - all the aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. - getting together on the beach close to St. Marks, Florida. Dad and an uncle used a mullet boat to run out a long seine net in a wide loop, and the rest of us dragging the net to the beach. Caught huge red roe mullet and some other fish. Crabs too. The ladies scaled and cleaned many fish, others were smoked with scales on the fillets. The scaled fillets were deep fried. Man, what a dinner! Later I helped Dad in mullet fishing with our own mullet boat he built himself. I learned to make and repair the 400 yard seine nets. But by the 80s, the mullet were getting smaller, overfished. New laws were passed, limits imposed, and we'd be lucky to get enough to sell to pay for the gas. He finally burned the boat, and converted the big trailer to haul his garden tractors. End of an era.

SB21, Hanzo, sec_monkey and 2 others like this.
  7. Dunerunner

Then there is... Venison!

RackofVenison.

Seawolf1090, SB21, Hanzo and 2 others like this.
  8. sasquatch91

sasquatch91 Monkey+++

Use to go fish the river in the fall, would take out cleaned rabbit and doves with us. Wrap rabbit in foil with potatoes and seasonings and throw in the coals, cook the dove breast wrapped in bacon on the fire side. Good vittles

9. Dunerunner

What I eat when I go fishing. And then, sometimes it is just a hot dog. :(

campfire-cooked-brook-trout-920-168-679-600x429.

10. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Hot dog for when it’s not called catching. We do that as backup too.

A past spear fishing trip coincided with a storm. Water and currents were really crazy. We gave it a go. I was a sensible one and decided to come back in. Two crazies stayed out near the drop off. Glad they did not end up in Alaska (where the current was heading to) and actually caught one fish and two tako (octopus). We did not have to use hot dog back up.

One guy wanted to go back out that night. Crazy. It was coming down and the sea was very choppy. Told him it was stupid to go out. Glad he relented.

We go a few days of good fishing after though.

Gator 45/70, Dunerunner and SB21 like this.
  11. Kamp Krap

Kamp Krap Monkey++

Love some fresh catfish, fresh water prawns and onion rings out of the cast iron over a open fire!
    DSC01991.JPG

12. Dunerunner

Elk Pot Roast...Dutch Oven Cooking

cpendley-cooking-elk-4.
    cpendley-cooking-elk-5.
    cpendley-cooking-elk-7.

Gator 45/70, oldawg, Alanaana and 3 others like this.
  13. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Making me hungry!!

Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  14. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey++

This whole conversation is seriously making me hungry!

Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  1. OlDiceGames
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Prepsteader13
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Alanaana
  8. Thunder5Ranch
  9. Dunerunner
  10. Coyote Ridge
  11. Coyote Ridge