Wilderness Survival Gun - Firearm for SHTF

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Tango3, Dec 26, 2009.

1. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

I have one of those myself. Very fun to shoot, but I also have a
    muzzleloading side-by for a wilderness survival gun because I do not have to worry about hulls, fancy wads, and smokeless propellants. I have a tool thatwill also make percussion caps utilizing soda/beer cans and toy gun roll caps.

By going back to black powder weapons for your primary survival weapons will solve alot of your personell logistics that you will not have access to during a SHTF situation.

2. happyhunter42

happyhunter42 Monkey+++

If it was just a week then I would just carry my Ruger 10/22 for potting something to eat, and my Ruger Blackhawk in 357mag for taking care of varmints bigger than racoons. If it was for longer time then I would add any good 20 or 12 ga. shottie.

3. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I agree. Even a .410 is a good choice.

4. boomer.hide

boomer.hide Monkey++

Benelli M-4

5. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I love my little Rossi .410 single shot [winkthumb]

Below, I have pictured my .410 shell case, which is worn on my belt. With a single clip, it unfolds and permits me to immediately draw out either slugs (top row), or shot shells (bottom row). The stock of the Rossi also holds a few shells so I can always have ammo with me no matter what.

I also prefer to use my Savage Mark II .22 LR. It is a bolt action, making it easy to clean in the field, and very accurate and dependable. I currently do not have a scope mounted on it, and I may go this route eventually.

I love the idea of using my AR with a .22 conversion, which I do have -but as Gunbunny already mentioned, the police and wardens in PA are rather serious about enforcement. I once got a $60 fine for having a trout on a stringer which was 1/16th of an inch too short -and that was back in 1991. Some areas of PA are better than others, and most people may not have to worry about Wardens and such, but knowing my luck...I would be caught in a San Francisco minute.

I don't like the 12 Ga. primarily because I am smaller stature, and although I do have a Mossy 500 pump that I love -firing more than a couple shots from it is anything but pleasant. A .410 will take down anything you will ever need. I even hunted buck with one when I was a kid. And I have never been attacked by a black bear, and seriously doubt that I ever will, cubs included or not. Even so, I feel confident with a .410. It's compact enough, lightweight, and accurate. It will not pepper your game too much, and it is easy to clean. A 12 Ga. is awesome firepower, though...no denying that.
    DSCF1207.JPG DSCF1209.JPG

6. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

The shotgun is a good option but for me the ideal would be a Ruger 10/22 for potting meat since at close range and with well placed shots it can take down deer and such without a problem and for small game in particular it can reach out a good bit further than a shotgun. Adding that to the weight of the gun and ammo that can be caried I think I would go that route and if possible add a handgun chambered to .410/.45 LC like the Judge or since its what I have in the cal (carry it as a BUG) a Bond arms Cowboy Defender. That way if you kick up small game at point blank range or come across a snake there is no aiming just point in the general direction and shoot with .410 bird shot but it has NO range, OOO buck holds a pattern for a ways and a .410 slug or .45 LC holow point should stop any predatory animals as well as takeing large game if within handgun range.

In my area I have yet to see a bear in 35 years and only 2 mountain lions and about the only potential wild threats would be snakes, coyotes, or feril dogs so I would probably go with the 10/22 even if didnt get the sidearm but like the centerfire sidearm and a couple mags for the just in case factor if possible.

7. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I submit a Smith and Wesson new Model 63. 8 shot cylinder, 5 inch barrel, lightweight, and ammo is light. A pocketful will put several weeks of meals in the pot if necessary. Variety of ammo is also a plus (shotshells, .22 short, etc). Revolvers aren't finicky if crap ammo is used.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have really spent too much time and money on this topic. The S&W 63 is the best I have found.

8. smitty32303

smitty32303 Monkey++

Recently we purchased a Tri-fector H&R, 243/22/20ga, all single shot, three barrels, comes in a compact soft case. This would take care of birds, small game, large game & security (mild) a great all round bob weapon if you had only one unit to take, with a mixture of ammo......

9. Catdaddy

Catdaddy Monkey+

Wow, what an interesting topic to consider!

My initial response was- one of my semiauto 22's, of course... but the 12 gauge is a better choice, even if it means digging shot out of a tree rat...

Of course I COULD headshoot squirrels with my 9mm carbine, and larger games as well, but I hate to waste meat, so I'd stick to small game.

I've looked at the new Rossi multi-barrel packages, and thought- there's a great idea for a camp gun...

But I think the pump 12 ga wins- and my 40, 45, or my Judge on my hip if I get a pistol, too...

10. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

Mav 88 chopped to 19", ATI T-6 stock, TruGlo sights, five in the tube, five shells on stock, Uncle Mikes swivels, a Black Hawk sling that holds fifteen, in a 40" bulldog case. $ 280.00

11. toydoc

toydoc Monkey+++

Routeclearence you made a reference to a tool to make percussion caps. Would you give more info on that tool.

12. fortunateson

fortunateson I hate Illinois Nazis!

I got this gun for my son. .22 is nice and accurate and he has a ball with it.
    20 ga in this small gun is more punishing than my Rem. 870 in 12ga. He hates it.
    .243 - I can't hit the broad side of a barn with that .243 barrel and it kicks harder than my Mauser. There's something wrong with it and other people have noticed.

Anyway I was just thinking about this topic. 12 ga is the obvious choice when it comes to pros and cons (slugs for deer, buckshot for defense, bird shot for small game) BUT...
    My gut tells me to pick up my 10/22 the stock mag. and a few 25rd. magazines.
    Small game- check
    Defense - check
    Big game - check (if in range)
    Plus I could probably carry 1000 rounds in a fanny pack. Could easily be silenced too.

Dunno - Would just feel more comfortable with my 10/22

13. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

The tool is known as the Tap-O-Cap, it's made by The Forster Reloading Co. and is only available through Mid-South Shooters Supply or MidwayUSA.
    Tap-O-Cap-overview. Punched-Strip-And-Tool. Punched-Caps. Finished-Cap-And_Skirt.

14. toydoc

toydoc Monkey+++

Thanks for the info. Midway is only 75 miles from here. It is funny what is lurking in your area that you don't know about.

15. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Awesome tool and info!
    Thanks!!!

16. malexander

malexander Monkey+++

I seem to like the AR 7 410 22 Hornet version Air Force survival over under. and a 38 revolver for closer in work.

17. fortunateson

fortunateson I hate Illinois Nazis!

My dad's ol' Savage 24VA isn't bad. 20ga and .222
    Can do just about anything with that.

18. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Got a paper punch and cut out a bunch of the aluminum discs ok, the tooling will be a bit more of a challenge....looks to be a punch rod, and a sleeve...tolerances will have to be good on this one.....nor sure IF I can get it to "form" properly, but it's going to be fun trying it anyway!

19. GMan

GMan Monkey++

Well for backpacking, there's always these guys: Henry Repeating Arms Rifles

They're kind of a standard and usually there's for that.

20. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I had a "problem with Henry's re-make of the AR-7s rifle...
    I contacted Anthony Imperato ( owner) gave him the serial number and explained the problem.
    He claims his company did not make the firearm, and it cannot be repaired by his company!
    You see right out of the box, I test fired it in the desert, and it may shoot 1 round, 2 rounds or even 3! ( not a full auto, but enough to make you nervous!)
    I took it apart as this is the 3rd series of manufacturers I have bought one from ( sold the other 2 long ago) and the first I ever had this problem with.
    It's easy to tear down, but, not so much fun to re-assemble!
    I can't find the problem unless a part is the wrong size....(assembly never changed, parts all look ok...)
    I tried it once again out on my land back in May of last year, and it does the same thing...you never know how many rounds it's going to fire, once you pull that trigger!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7