Wilderness Survival Gun - Firearm for SHTF

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Tango3, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I had a Charter Arms AR7 back in the day. It was reliable but it never was accurate enough. I think accuracy in a SHTF scenario is paramount as ammo is limited. For that reason, I would be skeptical of another one. Also, it fits in the butt stock but... the butt stock is quite large. If you were to pack it, it would take a lot of space. I think he Marlin Papoose's take up less space. I think the SAI M6 is a more robust piece of equipment. I would love to get my hands on one.

2. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I've got the Henry U.S. Survival Rifle, and I love it. I got it for FREE, knowing it didn't work. Emailed Henry and they sent me a UPS label to send the gun to them. They fixed it up right (I think the previous owner was shooting hypervelocity ammo, and it broke something as the shells were getting ejected INTO the chamber, to the left instead of out of the chamber, to the right).
    I got the gun back after a week, and it's been a great shooter ever since. I wont say flawless, I have had a couple of jams, but nothing serious.

As far as accuracy, it's so-so, either because of me or the sights - they SUCK.
    All in all, I do like the gun so I'll keep it :)

3. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

With the original AR7 I had made some long distance shots with no problems....
    It was accurate enough out to at least 100 yds. Then I got another, a remake, and it was pretty much junk. Some would float, the 2nd didn't!
    Now this one, the last one, is different....I don't care for their plastic coated barrel, and it is about as accurate as my cat!
    I'd go back to the original design, as those were at least decently constructed and worked! Peep sights alone, they were good. I moded mine to take a low power scope, but never cared for it....I stuck with the peep sight!

4. myriflemylife

myriflemylife Monkey+

a 12ga like M870, plus a .22lr light rifle if possible, the pilot survival .22 rifle is a good choice

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7