Will this setup work?

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Fury, May 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

As long as the Batteries stay Charged, their Temp will only be an issue with the availability of Maximum Current Draw However, if they get discharged, they will Freeze in 15F weather, and that. Will destroy the Plate integrity.... Charging the Batteries, in cold Wx, will heat the electrolyte, and plates.... I live in Alaska and have never had an issue with Temps, with my Batteries, in my Inverter Systems. Now equipment Batteries, are a different story... If left connected, the self discharge rate will drain them and they freeze, and Die... Vehicles that are run each week never see that issue.

Cruisin Sloth and Tevin like this.
  2. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

This ^^ is an excellent point. Most of the better charge controllers have a temperature sensor that goes on one of the battery terminals and allows the controller to tweak the charge voltage to compensate for ambient temperature. These sensors sometimes are an option that costs extra.

If your batteries are in an indoor climate controlled location then you probably don't need the option. But if your batteries will be exposed to excessively hot or cold environments, then the $30 or so extra for the sensor is worth it.

3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The read the power inverter and charge controller manual.
    Some inverters use the negative as the ground, some have a ground terminal and that is the only place the ground should be connected.

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Not at all clear if you intend a separate ground for the batteries or the common ground on the system.

5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

NEC dictates all grounds should be tied in at the same point.
    Even for lightening rods connected to a house.

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  6. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

kikkl.
    May I suggest the kitty cat treadmill power unit? From what I can tell, it has plenty of grounds.
    Do you guys think this is set up right?

:whistle:

(sorry Fury, your original drawings are not nearly as good as mine!) :cool:

7. Fury

Fury Monkey

Outstanding Brokor.

My inverter manual says to ground it. The CC doesn't mention anything about a ground (although it does have a temperature sensor so I'm good there). I was just curious about running a ground wire from the battery negative to my ground bus which eventually leads to the ground pole.

There is only one ground pole which is fed from the ground bus, which is fed by various devices. I just wasn't sure if I wanted to connect the batteries to that ground bus.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
    Brokor likes this.
  8. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Well, you certainly do not want my advice, man. If I see a ground anywhere in the whole system, I see that as sufficient and call it a day. I'm all about the POWER! [winkthumb]

9. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Common ground is needed in UL/NEC/CSA rules , Problem is NOT TO set up a loop , as no one caught on . So since all are helping Fury , I'll back out .
    Sloth

1. T. Riley
  2. TnAndy
  3. DKR
  4. Prepper12
  5. Yad Tsalach
  6. Gafarmboy
  7. TnAndy
  8. Sojourn
  9. Yard Dart
  10. jcsok
  11. Cruisin Sloth