Will your BOB run out?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Motomom34, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Th is would be the next step up the experience ladder. This is where The rubber meets the road

M118LR, sec_monkey, Yard Dart and 2 others like this.
  2. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Instead of a tarp consider a ground cloth you would use under a back packing tent. They are lighter, more compact, typically stronger, quieter and waterproof. They are more expensive, but that is the only drawback..

Tully Mars, Ura-Ki and Dunerunner like this.
  3. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I have an AR7 and it with 3 loaded mags weighs nothing. If there is room, it would be in one of the packs... [winkthumb]

Tully Mars, Ura-Ki and mysterymet like this.
  4. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

The biggest issue I have when building a kit, is that I have a lot of stuff I like, and I have a lot of trouble choosing a favorite to load up with. haha.

I am starting to carry a takedown blowgun in my kit, but I am looking into converting one of my bows into a takedown to carry it along instead. Honestly, it's a hard decision to make.

chelloveck and Ura-Ki like this.
  5. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

I already ran out used my hook and dental floss.

6. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

@Bishop-HAHAHAHAHAHA
    You ever use artificial sinew instead of floss/etc.?

Ura-Ki likes this.
  7. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Super thread with lots of good posts.

Everything about your BOB should be personalized and specialized. The gear for the Northwestern forests in November would differ greatly from the Southeastern swamps in July. And your BOB should contain what you need--not what Bare Gills needs. (Well, actually, his BOB is empty because he doesn't need anything. He can do somersaults out of helicopters and only wears a parachute so his camera crew can keep up with him.)

There are always the basic needs: Sleeping warm and dry. Being able to being able to hunt/fish/ forage and cook expedient foods, Being able to walk a week without your feet falling off. Being able to stay hydrated. Being able to follow your route, or diverge from it and still find your destination. Being able to make a fire, purify (and carry) water.

My BOB has a good pair of broken-in boots and socks strapped on the outside, so the first thing I can do is ditch the sequined spike heels I was wearing when the lights went out, and walk fast and far without getting crippled.

My BOB has a dinky little umbrella that collapses to about 8" in length, and weighs just a few ounces. It's usually better to walk in the shade than in the full sun, and to walk drier than wetter. It also offers wind, rain, sleet & protection (as needed), keeps the drizzle off the fire when I need to start one in the rain, and does a whole bunch of other useful things.

If I was gearing up a BOB with a $60.00 budget, I'd start by hitting every thrift store, auction, and yard sale in town. Buying a stainless steel water bottle for $0.60 beats $3.00 any day. A machete w/ sheathe for $2.00 is a deal, even if it needs sharpening and some rust removal. A cheap yoga mat ($1.00) makes the ground both warmer and softer. A square of the same material also provides a dry place to sit in a wet world.

Aside from a few factory foods like ramen (good also with pouched mackerel),and peanut butter, home-made trail foods can be inexpensive, tasty, and calorie-dense. Dehydrated peas, carrots, mushrooms, onion (super-dry, because it tends to clump otherwise), beef jerky run thru a blender into soup powder, home-made pemmican, etc. You not only know what you're getting, but it costs a lot less, too.

You should probably pack a minimum of 5,000 calories a day, because you'll need that many or more stomping around in the bush.

Since I can't carry a heavy backpack, my custom game cart is an old $3.00 golf dolly--which includes a stripped-out golf bag for a pack. (Well, that saved me about $450.00, and doesn't make me look overly prosperous. Good deal.)

And my expedient long-arm is a 15-Minute Shotgun--a cheap 12-guage that cost less than $10.00 to build. It packs very compactly, and will serve as needed. (Shameless Plug Alert: The how-to book is on Kindle, or I can sell you a copy. PM if interested.)

Sidenote: Once you resort to your BOB and hit the bush, you are (officially) going camping--or fishing--or hunting--or going thereto--or returning therefrom. In some states (Incl. Florida) that gives you the statutory right to open carry.
    See Fl. Statutes 790.25(3). Check your State to see if they have a similar provision.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    M118LR, Motomom34, Yard Dart and 4 others like this.
  8. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Yes I use it a lot

M118LR and Ura-Ki like this.
  9. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

The problem of getting to a distant location with a BOB / INCH bag can be looked at in the following way....

• 1. Whether BOB or INCH Bag, your load carrying capacity (bag weight and volume) and your strength / general health will determine the upper practical limits of what you will be able to carry with you. The closer to the upper absolute limits of weight, relative to personal strength, general health, and endurance is concerned, the greater the prospect of injury / physical exhaustion, and degradation of alertness and reaction time to imminent threats becomes.

• 2. The distance / duration of travel to your objective will determine what consumables (mainly water and food, but also medications, first aid supplies, batteries, ammunition etc ) you will need to get to your objective.

• 3. The difference between #1 and #2 two represents a gap that needs to be bridged by some means of replenishment if endurance, health, and the physical capability of carrying your load is not to be degraded.

Your bag / pack will consist of two types of resources...

Durables: Which maintain their long term utility unless lost or damaged​

Consumables: Items which are single use (like matches, water, rations, medications etc), or of relatively short / finite duration like alkaline batteries.

Suggestions:

Durables - extend their life by having the means of repairing / maintaining them with minimalist tools / consumable resources. Look for items that are rugged, light weight, require as few consumable resources and as little as possible maintenance to operate effectively.
    Minimise the possibility of their loss by dummy cording where appropriate, and being disciplined in securing them in your BOB or on your person, when not being used. Having items that are multi functional can sometimes help save weight / bulk, at the risk of losing multi functions if the item becomes lost or seriously damaged.

I accidentally pressed the post button before completing my contribution.
    To be continued.​

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  10. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Actually, a point I make when going into an area is to check out the guide books for local stuff you can make bowstrings out of. Bowstrings must be thin and strong, and preferably long fibered, and use this as a very primitive rule of thumb for what to go looking for to make cordage out of (not that I am awesome at it, but I get by hen I have to). An efficient one, at least.
    And I can rough out a bladelike object from glass (no local rocks) with just a 10 penny nail or awl, if I have to. I prefer to carry at least a small section of hacksaw to cut my arrowshafts and arrowheads If nothing is more readily available. Especially because arrowheads need to be stiff enough not to crumple and sharp enough to assist puncture, and most people haven't got a clue how hard they are to make effectively.

M118LR, Ura-Ki and chelloveck like this.
  11. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Tunnel in Sky

Looks at just this - what happens when the Bob (or INCH) bag comes up empty.

3M-TA3 likes this.
  12. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Leaving home you need to; eat, drink, sleep, poo, defend, navigate, shelter, clothing identification ,and a destination and a secondary destination.
    With out trusted communications, you don't know any thing about what's going on, or if you can come home .
    If you are blindly venturing into the unknown don't expect to be making any friends, unless you've got skills they are in desperate need of.
    Figure that any one that's been in the woods long, probably doesn't need or want visitors.
    I suspect that there will be locals keeping out siders OUT.
    Preparation is more than stuff .

M118LR, Tully Mars and Ura-Ki like this.
  13. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

How does one practice evading? I do not have a group just a family. Is this just a woods drill or urban also?

M118LR, Tully Mars and Ura-Ki like this.
  14. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Just imagine that someone is tracking you.....and move with a quickness through all sorts of terrain. ;)

15. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Bingo! @chelloveck got it.
    Durables vs. consumables

Ura-Ki likes this.
  16. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

One issue I have is quietness. I do good when concentrating on it but after walking for an hour+,I tend to stop thinking stealth and thinking of getting where I am going.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  17. Yard Dart

The trick of tactical evasion is all the above..... stealth, thinking and knowing what your end goal is. After an hour.... we just getting started. :p

18. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

You can do a lot by choosing what you wear and foot wear especially! Practice keeping your arms relaxed and minimizing movement. Keep your speed consistent and you should be good!

19. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

What @Yard Dart said and be hyper aware of your surroundings. If somebody was going to ambush you, where would they be? If you needed to hide where would it be? If you needed to ambush someone following you, where and how would you do it? Stop periodically, get very still and watch. Is anything out of place? Is there a better, less visible route? Is there a safer route that leaves you less exposed? You should be thinking so much you will not get bored.

You can pretend unwanted relatives are trying to find you to borrow money (AGAIN) if you need inspiration...

20. Yard Dart

Sound proofing your gear is another important aspect....little rattles put off a lot of noise at night.... one can easily give up their position via a rattling sling or a noisy ruck.

1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. ED GEiN
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Coyote Ridge
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
    [ATTACH]
    Thread by: Asia-Off-Grid, Jul 25, 2018, 10 replies, in forum: Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions
  7. DarkLight
  8. Fatum1965
  9. Thunder5Ranch
  10. ED GEiN
  11. AxesAreBetter
  12. medicineman
  13. Oltymer
  14. Imasham
  15. Brokor
  16. Witch Doctor 01
  17. Legion489
  18. TailorMadeHell