Will your BOB run out?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Motomom34, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Imasham

Imasham Monkey

Hmmm...this seems to imply that whichever bag it is they will weigh nearly the same. My INCH is way heavier than my BOB.

If I'm never coming back then I want a lot more supplies than if I'm only going to bug out for a short while. I realize that many people use INCH and BOB synonymously but for me they are two very different things and are packed very differently. For example, my INCH has four changes of clothes, more real food type meals, seeds to plant in my new location, more spare batteries. My BOB has no change of clothes, a variety of protein bars and simpler foods, etc. etc. My BOB will last about a week while my INCH will go for maybe a month.

My small town residence is my BOL so my whole plan is premised on being able to be in my current home. If I ever have to abandon my home alone and by foot then my personal INCH bag is currently my last line of defense. If my family is with me then we have a few more supplies and if we can go by vehicle then I have a lot more options.

sec_monkey and chelloveck like this.
  2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I always use my ground cover, and my bandannas to wrap loose items in. I also use small stuff sacks to keep things separated, all these things will really help keep you quiet

3. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

And help to keep things dry and organized so you can get to your first aid or extra ammunition without having a pile of stuff dumped on the ground. A stuff sack with your coat/clothes in it makes a nifty pillow.

4. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

My BOB is very close to an INCH, when I have it packed (torn the CRAP out of both my bags recently...), the difference to me being that my BOB does not have all the "rebuilding" tools tacked onto it somewhere.
    Kinda like a weapons, I have long and often been accused of overkill. I tend very heavily toward durability...very little consumable about my kit.

5. Imasham

Imasham Monkey

I think the ability to do this may be suitable for you if you're alone. I don't know everyone's situation but I have a four year old daughter. Do you think she's going to be able to practice tactical evasion or learn SERE skills? Doesn't anyone here have spouses, teenagers, young kids, babies, aging parents, sick or incapacitated family members, etc. etc. What is your plan for them? Are they all going to be tactically evading? (If so then WOW! You really are prepared!)

This scenario reminds me of the scene in Galaxy Quest when the crew lands on the alien planet and they are walking somewhere. Tim Allan's character does the shoulder rolls from boulder to boulder with his laser blaster pulled while everyone else just walks!

Motomom34, sec_monkey and Ura-Ki like this.
  6. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Been considering putting my dependents on a travois and footing it. Two pole marks beat corralling kids anyday for "hiding our numbers".

Ura-Ki likes this.
  7. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

It is your job to know the skills, to pass on to your family as you see fit....and as they are capable. My family does not have the same capability as the next.... we each have our own issues to contend with. But the knowledge, experience and training is what I have to give them, to maybe help them get to the next day in a tough environment. We do what we can.....

8. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

This thread is the first time I've noticed the term INCH. My internal definition of bugging out is more along the lines of INCH. Didn't know bugging out was limited to a 3 day scenario. I figured bugging out was "asta la vista, baby (until I come back to evict and/or bury you later)". 3 days is jack unless you have a BOL (or series of caches) less than three very long days away.

9. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Yeah. I really think BOB got overused in the last 10 years or so.

M118LR, Tully Mars and Ura-Ki like this.
  10. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

These things are self defined, except for INCH. BOBs and GHOB are all dependent on personal circumstances and definitions. Even INCH bags will have some variability. For the sake of discussion, one needs to sorta state the assumptions under discussion. (BYKT)

sec_monkey and chelloveck like this.
  11. Imasham

Imasham Monkey

Most definitely...and I would REALLY love to hear how people are dealing with the very practical nitty gritty that comes along from these issues.

That might make a good separate thread.

12. Imasham

Imasham Monkey

This site defines a BOB as "a portable kit that contains the items one would require to survive for seventy-two hours when evacuating from a disaster." Being rather new here I just assumed everyone used that definition.

M118LR, sec_monkey and Ura-Ki like this.
  13. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

For me, My BOB is a layered system that I part wear and part carry! The carry part contains mostly food and water gathering/filtering and cooking, the wearable part is my body armor with a LBE/Climbing harness that serves to carry all the extras like tools, med pack, weapons and ammo, and other gear! The main benefit is that I can loose the carry pack ( Back Pack) and still do fine on what I have On Me! the other advantage is that pack it self is modular and really easy to change from a winter to a summer set up in just seconds. It is also silent due to the way it is packed and dispersed and the load is balanced to bear most of the weight at or just below the hips which makes assents easier!

M118LR, 3M-TA3, Tully Mars and 2 others like this.
  14. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

No, am not implying that....the bags will weigh whatever it is that you choose to put in them...a BOB, or INCH Bag will weigh what you put in them, and what you put in them will differ from person to person, and from purpose to purpose and from situation to situation. Whatever your purpose; BOB or INCH bag, it will only accommodate what you can put inside it, or strap on to it....whether you can heft and carry what you load up in it, is another story....what I am inferring is that there are practical limits to a bag's carrying capacity, and a person's carrying capability for that bag.

[​IMG]

Unless this bag is filled with helium balloons, I'm doubtful that he would travel very far or fast 'on the road' with some of the actual necessities for survival.

M118LR and Ura-Ki like this.
  15. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

INCH? first I have heard the term, help me out here!

16. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I'm Never Coming (back) Home.

It infers that one is either away from one's home, and for whatever reason won't be returning, or one is fleeing one's home, and for whatever reason, won't be returning. It may influence some of the things that one may choose to carry in one's INCH bag, or what one may pre-position elsewhere, thus saving one the need to carry it in one's INCH bag.

17. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I'm Never Coming Home. INCH.

18. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Oh, Ok! LOL I always planned my BOB as if I was never coming back, so by default I guess INCH

Thanks for the definition fellas, Just goes to show how much I have yet to learn despite all I have already! It's a never ending quest!!!

M118LR, Yard Dart, Motomom34 and 3 others like this.
  19. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

I vacuumed sealed everything in my BOB I could by function (fire, water, cooking, light, communications, etc). Even if submerged, very little is going to come out wet. It protects against leaks and humidity. It also stops a lot of noise. Zip lock bags replace the sealed vacuume bags once opened. Food and extra clothing are sealed by day.

Ura-Ki and Motomom34 like this.
  20. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I started teaching these to my daughters as soon as they could walk in the woods. EVERY camping trip and every trip up to the ranch we went over things. Think "tactical" hide n seek for lack of a better phrase. As they got older they were all equipped with a butt pack containing a 48 hr kit. Once they were riding 4 wheelers they had bigger packs and there was a kit on each 4 wheeler. I would take them out one at a time pick a spot and run the quad into the brush and pull the key.
    OK now what? I would pick a different scenario each time. Quad broke down in unfamiliar area, some escaped cons just raided our campsite and you are the only survivor how do you get away and not get caught by the baddies?
    All of these things are teaching the skills needed but in a fun way.
    It doesn't happen overnight. You must invest your time and skill if you want them to have a chance.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. ED GEiN
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Coyote Ridge
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
    [ATTACH]
    Thread by: Asia-Off-Grid, Jul 25, 2018, 10 replies, in forum: Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions
  7. DarkLight
  8. Fatum1965
  9. Thunder5Ranch
  10. ED GEiN
  11. AxesAreBetter
  12. medicineman
  13. Oltymer
  14. Imasham
  15. Brokor
  16. Witch Doctor 01
  17. Legion489
  18. TailorMadeHell