Windows XP-PRO

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Kingfish, Dec 23, 2014.

1. scrapman21009

scrapman21009 Chupacabra Hunter

Still rockin the XP on my two desktops, stuck with 8 on the laptops :(

2. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

you're not getting updates, you're getting a monthly malware removal tool. You definitely don't want to still be using IE.

3. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Im using Firefox, Kaspersky and spy hunter. All of them are updating along with my flash player and other software. I stopped using Explorer years ago.

4. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

@Kingfish , there's no reason your XP system wouldn't still be working. M$ just stopped doing the patches and updates for the OS, and should you have any OS problems where M$ would need to be involved, they won't help.

All of your other software that updates automatically will continue to update, it's not tied with M$ update. If someone had the disks and really wanted to, there's no reason they couldn't install DOS 6.1/Win 3.11 on a system.

DarkLight likes this.
  5. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Which I have done a couple of times on virtualbox and VMware...just so I could. I actually have a copy of MS Bob of all things. *shudder*

6. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

That is my exact outlook on XP. It works fine and as long as it keeps working Ill be able to skip 7 and go right to 10 which is coming out in a few months.

7. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I was upgraded to 8.1 at work after my last laptop bit the dust. I don't mind it, it's just another windows box to me. Don't mind the new "start menu", gotten quite used to it as well.

8. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

rather than trying to make XP continue, I'm converting the XP boxes to Linux Mint. There are some things that won't work (or at least I haven't figured them out) but for the typical user who wants email and internet, it's much better. I'm pretty sure Microsloth poisons old OS's to make them run badly. XP was never as slow as it is now.

3M-TA3, Brokor and Homer Simpson like this.
  9. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Don't know about the poisonpill...the xp laptop I use for ham radio apps is doing just fine...so far. It doesn't get to see the net very often though.

10. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Well I finally had to stop using XP . Just too many problems loading pages and stuff. Adobe Flash stopped updating as well so we now have Windows 7. Im not real impressed with it so will be going to 10 pretty soon. Lots more options with 7 so far but Im sure those wont last much longer.

melbo likes this.
  11. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I will run Win 7 as long as I can on my tower..... I have no interest in Win 10 at the moment.

Sapper John, Ganado and Brokor like this.
  12. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

This is kind of funny...ME and XP had very little relationship at all, while XP was just 2000 with bells and whistles...from a networking POV, 2000 was probably the epitome of Windoze.

Brokor likes this.
  13. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Moved to Windows ten today complete with the tracking turned off. It is fast and works well so far. W e shall see.

14. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Will watch and listen for your satisfaction trend. I do NOT like 10 after a couple months trying to fall in love with it.

15. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

So far today running Firefox it is blazing fast and have had zero issues. I had it installed by a tech who completely erased the hard drive reformatted and installed the new operating system. She has the program to disable the tracking issue many have with ten that will also slow the machine down. Im using the latest firefox with no issues as well. I also have Google Chrome and internet explorer latest versions to use as back ups. So far so good. :)

16. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

I XP Pro and Win7 64 are still on my machines no plan to update in any near future they work well for what I use them for.

AD1 likes this.
  17. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

10 is blazing on the net. :)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7