Wisconsin Deer Hunt, How'd ya do?

Discussion in 'Turf and Surf Hunting and Fishing' started by griffin1340, Nov 18, 2007.

1. griffin1340

griffin1340 Monkey+++

Hello hunters, how did the WI deer huntin go for you?
    Me I got two on opening morning. First a spike 1 1/2 old buck at 7am. And later a buck baldie around 11am. I figure I can't eat the horns but still have some venison for the freezer. Do'in my thing for the DNR's profit..er deer kill numbers.

By the way...Federals .308 150gn Nosler Partition work great.

2. sheen_estevez

sheen_estevez Monkey+++

Haven't gone in some time, too many people hitting the woods around here, at first light this morning it sounded like an ambush outside behind my yard, think I'm going to hunker down in the basement.[sawgunner]

A few more years and my oldest will be old enough to hunt, we'll go then.
    both boys just started getting into the hunting shows, they have been fishing since we had to put the bouncy seat in the boat and a pole in their hands. I look forward to the day of the hunt

3. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I'm out this year. We do have a few other hunters here that haven't weighed in yet

4. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

braggart, congratulations! I haven't been out in along time...public land gets a littletoo crowded around here...
    Last time I went: sitting down on a "knob"0530 full blaze orange still dark 15 rounds go off (9mm handgun)... then 0700 car doors are slamming and folks are moving into the woods. A guy walks down the trail starts up the"knob ". I stand up in full blaze ,he continues and walks all the way up stands within 2feet of me and says"I've hunted this dome for17 years".I said "aint it time to give someone else a chance?"we stood side by side for 30 minutes, I finally got pissed and went back to the truck.That's it till we buy our own parcel.

5. griffin1340

griffin1340 Monkey+++

Damn T-3 that sucked! I told a DNR Warden that I did not like being shot at in other countrys much less my own. Public land stinks.
    I'm back out Thanksgiving and through the weekend, I have about #60 of venison in the freezer and really don't need more [or have room]. I have 4 earn-a-buck CWD tags and the kid has tags to fill.

6. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Dang T3, that really sucked, at least the guy didn't shoot at ya!

I haven't been huntin' in about 12 years, I want to, but I'm holdin' off until I can afford to buy some land. Seems every year there are more and more reports of people gettin' shot by other hunters who aren't takin' the time to make sure what they are shootin' at.

7. sheen_estevez

sheen_estevez Monkey+++

That seems to happen quite a bit on "Public Land" my last year hunting I jumped a doe, when I leveled my scope on it all I could see was blaze orange behind it, he was aiming at the same deer, good thing we both saw each other. I walked out of the woods and went home, haven't been back out since. In a few years I'm going to have to buy some land just for the boys so they have a safer place to hunt. At least that's the reason I'm going to use with the Mrs. :shock:

8. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

guess I should of worked my way alot farther back in, I 'll go back sometime(...?)I like venison.

9. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

10. Nailbender

Nailbender Monkey+++

Of the 4 childs I have and my grandkids they have 8 or 9, I forgot already.

11. BuckBall

BuckBall Woman Hater

All the hunters by me HATE my folks...the deer use my parents pine trees for cover and stay in there all through the season. Oh well, more deer for me come next year [dancindevil]

12. weapons_762

weapons_762 Monkey+++

i didnt go this year , no space left in the freezer after killing the pig

13. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

Dropped 2 bucks this year. One with bow and one with rifle. 6 pt & 8 pt. All in all, I had a great season.

14. griffin1340

griffin1340 Monkey+++

I'm glad I got mine on opening weekend. We [brother's & I] busted our butts thanksgiving and the rest of the weekend pounding marsh's, ditches and grassy fields and never saw a tail.
    First year in a long time my oldest Brother never even popped off a round at a deer.
    And with the venison drought I've had the last few years I was glad to get what I did.

Best thing was that as a hunter safety instructor we all had a pretty safe hunt this year.

15. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

Thats always the best thing. [winkthumb]

OGM

16. RaymondPeter

RaymondPeter Simple Man

Didn't go this year...no time. :(

Congrats to everyone that bagged one (or two if you had to earn a buck!).

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7