Wolf Ammo?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Seacowboys, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Has anyone used any of their 5.56? I shoot this stuff in 7.62x39 all the time but I've never used any in an AR.

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yup, I have. Often. No problems, in fact it runs better in my Fulton carbine (roughly 1000 rounds of 55 grain so far) than anything brass cased. Next time out, will test it in the Oly. Make SURE you get the polymer coating, not the previous gunk. If the ads don't say polymer coated, don't buy it. Sticky stuff, extractors break when the cases hang in the chamber. With irons, 3 MOA with old eyes.

No problems with it in 45, either, that were not traceable to break-in troubles.

3. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Well, I'll try it then. I just ordered 2000 rounds from Sportsmans Guide.

4. magnus392

magnus392 Field Marshall Mags Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I run it in my Bushmaster AR and my AK-102, runs fine. I did have ONE instance where a spent case stuck in my AR chamber. Popped right out with a bang of the cleaning rod.

5. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

I've shot quite a bit of it through 2 AR's...... no problems at all.

6. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

No idea, never shot any in .223. I've heard of plenty of folks never having a problem with poly-coated and heard mixed reports of the lacquered coated stuff. Clear the chamber and move on to the next round.

Don't you know that American made firearms don't do well with Russian made ammo? :lol: Sorry, just trying to be a smartass [troll]

Never had an issue in 7.62x39mm but that's a different story, goes bang everytime, well almost [gone]

7. franks71vw

franks71vw Monkey+++

Most manufactures tell you not to use wolf because its a steel case. When shooting this ammo some chambers have issues in pressureizing and preventing the gas from going down the barrel, thus the gas blows back around the steel case and the bolt? I have never shot it really in an AR but will find out soon my biggest question with Wolf ammo is accuracy and dont mean to hijack i guess but for those that have done it can you also report this variable.

8. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Krieg Hündchen

I have been around when the Wolf 5.56 stuck in an AR chamber. It happened when the weapon got hot....it was an Armalite AR (not my favorite company, and not my weapon).

9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I believe that was a common thing when all that was available was the laquer coated cartridges, and as you say when things were warm. The polymer stuff doesn't have that reputation. In my experience, over 100 rounds rapid fire (as fast as I could swap 20 round mags) will boil spit on the barrel, and the Wolf performed without a hitch.

10. badkarma

badkarma ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

i've had it stick before...but it was laquer coated, never any problems with poly coated

11. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I shoot the crap out of it, case after case no problems.

12. Claymor

Claymor Monkey+++

Years ago (like in 1994) SGW/Olympic Arms put out a notice to not shoot lacquer-coated Wolf .223 in their rifles. They said that the coating would adhere to the inside of the chamber, and that it would render the barrel assembly worthless. They said that when the lacquer stuck in the chamber, it would not come out with cleaning brushes or solvents, and they could not even bring it back with a reamer.

(Some people don't hold SGW in the highest regard, but they did make National Match Barrels for the U.S. Government, so they should know a bit about barrels.)

I think that there were 2 factors here. #1 was the inferior lacquer coating. #2 was folks firing the rifle enough to get the chamber heated up enough to have the lacquer get tacky and stick to the chamber.

It sounds like the problem has been taken care of with the newer stuff. If in doubt about the age of the ammo (or the coating), it may be wise to restrict its use to slow-fire only.

13. ricdoug

ricdoug Monkey+++

I use their Match .22's. Very consistent. Ric

14. BuckBall

BuckBall Woman Hater

I used the stuff in a Mini 14/20 GB (with bayonet lug and select fire) and that particular rifle couldn't stand wolf. Black Hills and home run ammo was much better.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7