Woman of the Year

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ganado, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Then he will get another award for having the balls to change back. Bad pun?

Cruisin Sloth, Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  2. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Really bad pun but so bad it was good [LMAO]

Hanzo and Motomom34 like this.
  3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Some of us know what a burden it is to be thought of as a sex object. To be constantly thought of in lustful conitations, and persued for reasons of passion, rather than just intellect. It is indeed a heavy cross to bare, but I will persevere, anyways. Have no fear.

4. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

There is a difference between being a fetish object and a sex object, though sometimes both classes of objectification can overlap. I realise that you are making light of the subject, but I think you'd probably find being a fetish object in the workplace or elsewhere would become tedious quite quickly.

Ganado likes this.
  5. kellory

"A fetish (derived from the French fétiche; which comes from the Portuguese feitiço; and this in turn from Latin facticius, "artificial" and facere, "to make") is an object believed to have supernatural powers, or in particular, a man-made object that has power over others."
    Ain't you seen that big red "S" on my chest?
    [​IMG]

6. chelloveck

It's as like that your zippered pelt is probably more of a fetish object than the superman suit that you are wearing beneath it.

7. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

LOL Kellory is a furry! :D

8. chelloveck

[​IMG]

I'm pretty sure they're furries too...they speak, except for Pluto who is none too bright.

Ganado likes this.
  9. kellory

[​IMG] I SAID "READ ME A BEDTIME STORY.

10. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

Sorry, I just can't get past seeing a
    [​IMG]

11. kellory

SHHH! Everyone will want one!:eek:

12. Seepalaces

Seepalaces Monkey+++

My neighbor in college had turner syndrome. To my knowledge no one ever made fun of her or ridiculed her. This was 20 years ago in evil Texas. Probably because she was quiet and kind and didn't spend every spare moment demanding attention. Go figure.

Sapper John, mysterymet and Ganado like this.
  13. chelloveck

Perhaps the capacity for compassion from most people may be under-estimated with regard to some medical issues over others.

There are a number of significant differences between people with Turner Syndrome, and those with Gender Dysphoria that may contribute to the differences in attitude by society, and by individuals within a community, of those with Turner Syndrome and those with gender dysphoria.

Firstly, Turner Syndrome is seen as a genetic abnormality, experienced due to no fault of the person with that condition. Women with Turner Syndrome are perceived as women, and are treated as women, even if their physical appearance may include features that are not commonly presented by women who do not have Turner Syndrome. Unless a women with Turner Syndrome also has gender dysphoria, and does not conform to the gender identity norms that are expected of females, she is unlikely to be rejected as female by the sisterhood of women, or seen as a threat as "other" in the same way that trans-women are often perceived to be.

On the other hand, trans women are often looked down upon, as a perversion from normality. The assumption made that being a trans woman, or trans man for that matter is merely a superficial
    lifestyle choice; a moral sin against the "natural order"; i.e. against "god's" "perfect" creation.

Much fear and ignorance about trans folk is peddled by those who, more often than not, are fearful and ignorant themselves of the nature of gender dysphoria.

4 Celebrities with Turner Syndrome and Great Achievements | New Health Advisor4 Celebrities with Turner Syndrome and Great Achievements | New Health Advisor

Gender dysphoria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2015/06/15/transgender-health-care_n_7587506.html?ir=Australia

Transgender Discrimination

The National Journal of Sexual Orientation LawThe National Journal of Sexual Orientation Law

(1) Many transgender folk are loath to draw attention upon themselves, and often live closeted lives. Some trans women are much more public about their gender status, which often places them in positions of being vulnerable to abuse, discrimination and threats to their personal safety and well-being.

Most forms of discrimination, such as racial discrimination, religious discrimination, women's suffrage, LGBTQ discrimination, anti miscegenation laws, disability discrimination, and other forms of inequality have not changed over the years, because the people suffering discrimination just kept quiet, remained invisible, and just sucked up and meekly accepted an inferior status to those who were supposedly their privileged betters. Sometimes change only happens by being highly visible, by being heard, bringing attention to oneself and seeking to redress wrongs done to them. The meek usually can't count upon inheriting the earth: they more frequently end up becoming an inherited serf.

It is quite possible that your neighbour also had to contend with fewer negative stereotypes than some trans women. It's a little more difficult being compassionate with someone whom evokes feelings of disgust, discomfort and distrust.

14. Seepalaces

Seepalaces Monkey+++

"It is quite possible that your neighbour also had to contend with fewer negative stereotypes than some trans women. It's a little more difficult being compassionate with someone whom evokes feelings of disgust, discomfort and distrust." Or perhaps some people are simply jerks and have no issue with using gender issues to create drama. YMMV

Because Turner syndrome gives you X instead of XX, so there are serious gender issues. She could have been one of these attention sponges you see, but instead she was simply a very private, kind young woman. She died when she was 35.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2015
    Cruisin Sloth and Sapper John like this.
  15. chelloveck

I understand the seriousness of Turner syndrome to women who have it, as I do the women who have Down Syndrome. Both have genetic aetiologies. Brief lives and reproductive issues are unfortunate aspects of Turner Syndrome, and their lives are fraught with many challenges.

I admire your neighbour's stoicism, and her generosity of spirit, but transgender women as a class shouldn't be disparaged because some are "out there" and vocal about their concerns. It ought be acknowledged that for every outspoken transgender woman, or man...there are others who quietly go about living without making a big deal about it, and that many of them are kind, considerate, generous and display all of the attributes that other citizens of good standing would also do.

The life expectancy of Turner Syndrome is usually not long. and that is tragic. However it has to be said that trans folk also have their life expectancy issues too.. There are medical risks in transitioning, and there are medical risks for some of those who don't transition. Transgender women, (particularly transgender African American women) are at higher risk of murder, common assault and sexual assault than their cisgender counterparts. The essential difference in attitude between women with Turner Syndrome, and transgender women, is the moral and social stigma that is attached to transgender women by society that Turner Syndrome women don't have to carry.

The thing with attention sponges, is that they divert the attention away from those who are not. Should we be down on all cis women because the Paris Hiltons, the Kim Kardasians, and the Miley Cyrus's of the world are loudly, vulgarly, hogging the limelight? Apparently it is an awful thing when some transgender women are claimed to be doing it.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  16. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

[​IMG]

Seepalaces likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7