Woman survives by eating twigs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Motomom34, Dec 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

Apparently these people had nothing. No siphon hose. Jacking up and removing a tire from a car stuck in a ditch would not be easy.

2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Something like 10% to 15% of new vehicles sold since 2008 do not include a spare tire, jack and tire iron.
    Guess the car manufacturers some how figured out (focus groups) that a lot of their generation snow flake hipster douche customers don't even know how to change a tire.

3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

This is off topic but since these people got stuck.....

Are these snow grips any good? Amazon.com: Set of 2 Tire Snow Grips Traction Aids: Sports & Outdoors We just had to get a car unstuck and we gathered twigs and stuff to put under the tires. Someone told me about these grips, they had some but had never had to use them. It is one of those gadgets you have and do not use until you need it then you discover whether they are junk or not.

4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I would just use snow chains.
    I know snow chains cost a lot but that's because they are worth it. And you can use them in the mud too.

5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

If you travel OFF the Paved Roadway, then an All Wheel Drive Vehicle should be considered Mandatory.... Alaskachick & I wouldn't even consider a Two Wheel Drive vehicle, for our FlatLander Ride... We rarely use the 4WD, but it is there if we need it, and very handy, when it is Needed... Mostly we use our White Toyota 4X4 Pickup for short trips, around Seattle, but in the winter, Seattle (a Town built on Seven Hills) does get Snow & Ice on the Roads, and with all the Kommiefornia Folks moving North, most of them do NOT know how to drive in Seattle, in the winter time.... We do drive on vacation to Utah & Texas, in the late Fall every year, and have had to engage the 4WD on Mountain Passes, and once in a Buffalo Stamped in Jellystone Park.... We ALWAYS figured that 4WD is a Prep'er Item in our household..... YMMV...

chelloveck likes this.
  6. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Having grown up in the mountains, I never really feel safe in anything less than an SUV/truck with AWD or 4WD.

7. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Tire- Gas- Battery-Wire-Arc-Spark-Fire

8. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Personally I would not waste money on Gizmos or Gadgets and just keep a set of very aggressive big snow/mud knobbies for the off season when I don't do much road driving, and a set of on/off road for April-October. When you gotta work in soup that is turning to ice like the pic was you really don't want to F around with chains or being stuck. Right set of tires, with a good tread pattern that sheds efficiently and some common sense and you just don't need more than that. And when I do get stuck I sink it to the frame, no point in doing it half assed :) Then I call the wife to bring the little white truck to pull the Big Red Thunder Chicken out and suffer the embarrassment :(

12274257_1082925781718204_2007351769417493327_n.

9. Lone Gunman

Lone Gunman Draw Varmint!

I was struck by the fact that nobody in the Klein's car had either of two items that I, always, always carry with me wherever I go: A very sharp Swiss Army knife, and a small disposable propane lighter. When we travel I also keep a Silva, 'Orienteering' Compass in an outer jacket pocket, oftentimes along with a large caliber handgun on my belt; (but that's neither here nor there)!

Not anymore, but, years ago I would have also traveled with a very well trained (It was my hobby!) Doberman Pincher, or American Pitbull Terrier guard and/or search and rescue dog. (Our dogs were, 'the best' at what they did; and they won many competitions and awards!)

Traveling with dog(s), sometimes, made it very difficult to find a motel room in states like, say, North Carolina, or Maine where the local laws and/or exorbitant, 'pet deposits' disallow many places from renting rooms to people who are traveling with dogs; but, one time in Virginia, when two young men tried to break into our room late at night — and even before I got out my pistol — my, 'star pupil' Bulldog (Who, of course, heard them first!) convinced those two fellows that they'd be much better off trying to open the door to another room! That 78 lb male was the hardest hitting dog I ever trained — A regular fur-covered chainsaw with a real attitude, and a mouthful of nice heavy teeth!*

Another thing: It's more difficult to get lost in the woods when you have a large, intelligent, and well-trained dog with you. Why? Because what you don't know, or can't handle, the dog often will! (They aren't stupid, and can often anticipate what you need before you tell them.

Years ago my wife and I were stalked by a hungry black bear. I had no gun; and we were, at least, 10 or 12 miles from anywhere. If it weren't for two of our Pit Bulldogs I'm 100% certain that bear would have ambushed us. He must have been very hungry, too! Because, in spite of the dogs, he kept on trying to get at us — He was very clever, repeatedly moved ahead of us on the trail, and picked out the best spots to wait for us to walk into. That bear didn't break-off his relentless pursuit until after we were within only a few feet of our vehicle. Was I ever really worried, though? Naaa, ....... ;)

* I will, however, admit that there ARE dog owners who live like slobs and can be both sneaky about avoiding the damage that their animals do, and/or do everything they can to avoid responsibility for their dogs' bad behavior. (Like hiding the damage!) As I've often said to a motel manager/owner: My wife and I are NOT that kind of dog owners; our animals are very well trained; and I'm perfectly willing to have you walk through the room with me BEFORE we check out.

(A word of caution, though: If you should ever make any such deal with an innkeeper then insist — INSIST — that the innkeeper should also walk through the room with you BEFORE you take final possession; so that the two of you can examine everything TOGETHER. One time in Maine I got caught in a room rental snafu like this; and we ended up having to pay for another pet owner's damage!)

chelloveck likes this.
  1. OlDiceGames
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Prepsteader13
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Alanaana
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Thunder5Ranch
  10. Dunerunner
  11. Coyote Ridge