Won a custom folder

Discussion in 'Blades' started by TLynn, Oct 13, 2005.

1. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

On another board a bunch of people got ripped off (knives and/or money) by a guy who well let us just say is no longer a member there and probably no longer a member on some other knife boards by now either. I'm not even going to go into details.

A couple of upstanding members of that board held two raffles donating their own personal knifes (other people donated knives as well as secondary prizes) to help pay the people back who had lost money to the scumbag who had ripped them off. These gentleman are in every sense of the word awesome. I don't know that many people who would do that. I didn't win anything in the first raffle (which didn't bother me one bit), I just had a lot of fun. The guy who did win tried to not take the knife (he wasn't allowed to do that). He then turned around and did the second raffle so that enough could be raised to not only finish paying everyone off but help send money to feed the animals who got abandoned during Katrina (hey we sent enough stuff to the people - in some cases way more...it's time to help the pets and such for a change).

I threw in my $25 ;) , others threw in a bunch more and other stuff as well. They drew the names early Monday with the top winner to choose whatever item they wished, and then the 2nd person, etc...

Turned out I was the top winner. Oh goody??? First off he wouldn't let me have him keep his knife (I tried that). Second off, I didn't have a clue (still don't) when it comes to folders...

I chose the first one offered...a Snody Custom

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm glad I did, especially now that I've received it (it is after all my very first custom folder). On the other hand if I'd of any clue in the world what this was valued at I would of not only fainted dead away I would of never, ever, ever, ever said this was the one I wanted (let alone accepted it). But he made sure I didn't know until after I had posted. I think he had a pretty good idea I was clueless as to the value of the knife...

Damn thing costs more than the Colt 1991A1 I just bought for my birthday last month :eek:

Gorgeous knife though...I dont' even like folders and I like this one. :lol: [ROFL] :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
  2. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Congrats! I didn't get into that, being a poor knifemaker. Sniff. :D

People were donating some sweet knives - you took the right one!

Aside: During my Loveless visit I asked him about making folders and he said he never made one, just the blades for some. So he makes only fixed blades then proceeded to tell me how a guy SHOULD make folders. He said a guy will wear a fixed blade once or twice a year but can carry a folder every day. Strange stuff.

3. Cousin Jack

Cousin Jack Knifemaker Founding Member

Congrats TLynn! Your knife collection sure is growing this year! :D

4. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

nice! Wanna raffle it here? :D

5. TLynn

[stirpot] [kissit] :lol:

NO

6. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

Karma. You've done so much to help other people, you deserve something nice.

7. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Well said, I agree! You deserve it T [bow]

8. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Way to go TLynn, you must have been rewarded "tenfold" for your generosity. You are a sweetheart and deserve only the best. Congrats!!!!

9. TLynn

Ah thanks guys. I myself feel honored to of won the knife. Plus the dang thing just fascinates me...terrible I know. I'm almost thinking it may become my EDC (every day carry). Guess there's no point in having something if you don't use it - right? It just feels so dang nice in my hand...weird.

On a sad note...I still can't find my Camillus Ka-Bar I won in an auction...and my knife wall is really bare since I sent my other Ka-Bar off to a gentleman in New York who works disasters with his dog looking for people or bodies. He lost his last fixed blade down in New Orleans.

It's got to be in this room somewhere... :lol: [ROFL] :lol: (in otherwords I've got a lot more cleaning up to do I think)

10. Valkman

T, I went to SoCal this weekend and got the free drill press I was offered on USN. The guy also threw in a precision-ground flat granite block which I needed, and gave me dinner. Sweet! Then today was a Meet & Greet and I met at least 20 other knife nuts there, and in a drawing won a tan Buck Strider. It was a great two days! :)

11. Cousin Jack

Sweet deal Don!

12. TLynn

Congratulations Don!!! That's wonderful news. I understand you gave him a knife. That was nice of you.

It's been a grand week all around for me as well. I think you and I have been blessed of late. Saturday I got badged and yesterday I won an E2d light.

Can't get better than this my friend, it just can't get better than this (okay it would be nice to win the lottery...but of course I would of had to play to win) :lol:

13. Cousin Jack

I'll say....like Christmas in October... b::

14. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

I know where a Holiday Inn Express is.

15. Valkman

Yes, I am waiting to be badged, and a big congrats on that. Kind of embarrasing to go to Blade and these meets and being the only one without one. But hopefully sometime it will happen!

Now I'm tearing my whole garage apart - it has never been given over to knifemaking but that will happen now. Alot of the reloading stuff will go elsewhere and that will clear alot of bench space. I have 16' of workbench and every inch was covered in some kind of crap! I need room for this piece of calibrated flat granite to sit, then my precise vertical sciber will go on it. That will be the new way to scribe blade lines into blanks prior to grinding - alot more precise than using calipers. :D

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7