Wood / coal furnace

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by oil pan 4, Dec 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Always thought wood pellet stoves left you captive to the pellet supply makers.

johnbb, SB21 and Dunerunner like this.
  2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

And the firewood providers, once you get too stove up to go out and cut your own... I can remember the olden days cutting alder on our own property with my dad. Hard work, but put up three to four cord of wood for every winter. Sadly, those days are long gone for most folk.

SB21 likes this.
  3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I'm going to try it on bigger stumps. The smaller stumps will juat be all dirt. I can shovel the wood chips into my clinker recovery sifter to separate the dirt. The 700 series wear sharp teeth look like they will make some real chunky wood chips.

SB21 likes this.
  4. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Its not like the coal is going any where or has an expiration date.....it's tens, if not hundreds, of millions of years old. A truck load of coal needs almost no upkeep, maybe just a tarp or shed . Coal is an even better store of energy than propane, and both will last longer than all of us. I've got propane at my house for emergency heat and my Sister heats with it, and I'm planning to add a tank of propane at the barn, soon.

5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Don't store low grade lignite, that shit can spontaneously combust.

6. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Not gone for me ! 3 sheds full now (12 cords), and I'm filling a shed for the winter of 23-24 right now. We use 4-6cords/yr depending on the winter.

[​IMG]

I used to spray the fill date on the wood, but it faded out bad....so I finally around 2016 started painting it on the posts

[​IMG]

What my basement looks like around November when we move 4 cords out of a shed and into the basement for winter.

[​IMG]

7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I tried wood chips with used motor oil on them inside the coal furnace, yeah works pretty good.

8. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

Gotta ask here in SC wood I cut and stored usually only lasts 2 years from the bugs getting in and chewing it up. I cut oak and hickory. How do you keep it from turning into a pile of saw dust

9. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I can't speak for coal but I know that having a dogleg configuration in my stove pipe improves stove efficiency.

10. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I changed the central heat and A/C air filter after the fall A/C season. It still looks brand new. I think it only kicked on twice.
    The coal furnace didn't pay for its self this year like it did last year but it saved at least hundreds of dollars.

SB21 likes this.
  1. hot diggity
  2. ColtCarbine
  3. Prepper12
  4. Thunder5Ranch
  5. DKR
  6. TnAndy
  7. Dunerunner
  8. oil pan 4
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Southbound
  11. sdr