Wood Gasifier

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by earthsuit, May 8, 2013.

1. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

Looks pretty low on capacity for a farm welder but appears might be good for a hobby shop and light duty work and certainly appears could be good to run on a gennie post SHTF. Need to learn a bit more on this and if other alcohols like ethanol or methanol can be used in place of isopropyl.

2. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

You will have to answer that for yourself. Keep reading and learning about them and you'll eventually discern the answer... And when you do, you may know enough to determine if you could operate one.

3. guitargirl23

guitargirl23 Neophyte Monkey

Yall are awesome! Another quick question, are any of you or do you know any experts in the field i could talk to?

4. guitargirl23

The question is do you know an expert on gasifiers or are you one? Sorry for the confusion lol

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  5. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

Have you read the articles in the link in post 7 above?

If not, you need to understand the basics of the Imbert downdraft design before talking to an expert. You'll get much more out of the conversation and will be able to ask substantive questions.

6. guitargirl23

Do you make a living in the field? I have a paper due Monday and it's required that I talk to an expert, I can't get any of these companies to answer me. Haha

7. guitargirl23

Thanks for the info!

8. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

I do not make a living in the woodgas field. I am a engineer with diesel engine experience who has dug into their design a bit out of interest, that's all.

Ganado likes this.
  9. guitargirl23

Have you actually made one?

10. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

Not yet. Slowly (very slowly) working on one.

11. Aeason

Aeason Monkey

I am like you not young and used all you mentioned. I bought the Multiplaz to have when there was no oxy-act to be got. In one mode is like gas welding good for thinner metal it does cut good if not thicker than 1|4 inch. I haven't tried to cut or weld stainless with it yet. Even though I have used it several times I still prefer stick, or tig for welding and a good wire welder speeds things up. I don't regret buying the Multiplaz for a backup. Takes some getting use to as it is awkward to use.

Airtime likes this.
  12. Aeason

Aeason Monkey

I am expecting mine to come in any day now, I ordered a stak 10kw. Will be happy to let you know how it works, the FEMA ones would be easy to build but I think would be difficult to run a engine on, plan on building one next spring to try out

13. guitargirl23

I've been thinking about building one for a while and this research paper has kinda got me in gear to do all the research i needed to do to build one. I'd love to know how it works, what are you trying to power from it, if you don't mind my asking.

14. guitargirl23

Hey, whatever gets the job done!

15. Aeason

Aeason Monkey

I plan on running a generator with it, there is a lot of into you can download from internet.

16. guitargirl23

That's what I'd like to do. How in the world do you convert the gas from the gasifier into something that will run the generator?

17. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

You run it thru a Filter, to get the chunks out, and to clear out, the Tar, generated along with the Methane....

18. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Like BT said, filter and clean the gas, then just run it to the carburetor on your gennie. It is flammable all by itself. Be aware that starting the gassifier and keeping it running so the gennie can run is not a trivial task, you will be BUSY as long as the gennie wants to run.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7