Wood stoves

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by ghrit, Oct 13, 2008.

Tags:
  1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I have been unable to find any information on the stove I have that came with the house. It is a Fisher "Coal Bear" of uncertain age but apparently in good condition. Can anyone point me toward good scoop on maintenance issues?

Also, what brand/type do you use? Any thing in particular to look out for other than the obvious fire protection items and codes?

TIA.

[ghrit]

2. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

I currently have a Jotul. I love it!

Here's a discussion on Fisher Stoves. I looked for a bit, but could only find the "family" line (mamma, papa, etc) of Fishers, not the Coal line.

Seems that owners don't have many problems with them, other than code issues, but if it's already installed you should be grandfathered in on any codes. Insurance might be a challenge (according to readings).

Most say they're great!

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Thanx, T, that is the best scoop I've seen so far. There is (come to find out) a dealer about 35 miles from here, will go chat them up a bit in a day or two,. Firebrick in mine is in good shape, it carries a UL label, and the insurance went thru with no questions.

[beer]

4. tommy20/69

tommy20/69 Monkey++

i have been thinkin of makin me a outdoor stove and oven combination out of 3/8 plate. to many power outages with the huricanes and no hot meals unless you have the propane or the generator .but after a huricane wood is scattered everywheres and the land fills are full of it.a good thick outdoor stove would be able to cook anything.

5. homeshow

homeshow Monkey++

Tommy don't forget the fire brick. also we want pictures of this project. a measured drawing and materials list would be great too. :)

6. tommy20/69

tommy20/69 Monkey++

speaking of fire blick my whole front yard is lined with fire bricks. i live a 1/4 mile up the road from a city dump and i do a everyday evening trip to pickup metals because i recycle for extra cash. well people take down these old houses and they break apart the old chimnies and fireplaces and throw away all the old bricks . when i say old i mean old some of the wood with them even has the old flat type of nails in them. well i go and get me a load with my hpx gator every time the dump them off and now my whole yard is covered with these fire bricks.i'll take some pictires this afternoon and post them for you guys but you would be amazed at what i done with trash out the dump.

7. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Tommy,

Are the bricks that line your front yard from inside the firebox or from the chimney?

Firebrick and clay bricks used to build a fireplace and chimney are two different animals. Firebrick is usually made from a ceramic based material and commonly known as refractory. If you are going to build a woodstove, make sure you use actual firebricks/refractory inside the firebox. Bricks used for building the fireplace will not bid well with the heat inside a firebox.

8. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

ghrit-

No sense in repeating info that's already covered in the linked thread. I would imagine making sure the stove was installed properly and isn't going to burn your house down, you have already checked out.

From what I can remember most Fisher's had a large firebox. Does your Fisher have a large firebox? We are using a cast iron Jotul with a smaller than I like firebox but since it came with the house I'm not changing it out anytime soon. I wish ours had a larger firebox for overnight stoking but sometimes there will be some coals in the box in the AM.

Yup, be careful not to back-up too close to the stove, it gets hot [troll]

9. tommy20/69

tommy20/69 Monkey++

i don't really know .i know i have a few diferent types of fire bricks in my yard. some are so old they are like a shale type of rock and they are very light in weight . let me up load some pictures these bricks came from chimenies out of houses way before they came out with that ceramic stuff. these bricks are the real thing. i know the stuff your talking about though. i got all these bricks out the dump from people taking down them old slave houses and 150 year old shot gun houses.

any ways here's the pictures .these bricks are antiques i have alot of money laying around in my yard. there is alot more i have a 1/2 acre yard and 90% is bricked. i got all my land scapeing stuff from the dump.lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. brotherpoop

brotherpoop Monkey+++

Those bricks look indentical to a kiln I tore apart. They were the outside brick of the kiln. The inside of the kiln was lined with the actual fire bricks which were extremely light and fragile.

I know one can buy fire brick still...spendy stuff.

11. tommy20/69

tommy20/69 Monkey++

your right but very few of them are the outside bricks most are the inside bricks they are very light compared to a regular brick and if you drop them forget it they will splinter up. they are good to walk on but they can't take any kinda force impact.i have about 3000 of the fire bricks for the inside and a few hundre for the outside.i'll snap a picture of the two side by side.

12. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

The one thing I would suggest is to get a few extra lengths of stove pipe and maybe a couple elbows and set them aside. Most of the stove pipe tends to rust out after a year or 2 when its exposed to the heat and the rain on the outside and haveing it let go when its -10 and maybe a holiday or some such when you cant ret replacement parts SUCKS particularly if its the only heat, it also smokes up the house since it then wont draw right.

A couple little tips to get more heat out of the stove. Have 2 dampers in the stove pipe about 3' apart so you can slow the air going up the pipe more and give the heat more time to radiate out through the metal rather than just going out the chimney. It also makes a world of difference in heat (as well as helpful to avoid any leak problems) if you put an elbow in the pipe a little ways up and run it horizontal in the room for a few feet then out the wall rather than the ceiling and then turn up on the outside to go up. This also helps heat rise through the pipe into the room rather than out the top of the stove pipe.

1. Gator 45/70
  2. 3M-TA3
  3. Motomom34
  4. VisuTrac
  5. Hillbilly549
  6. BenP
  7. BenP
  8. Retread
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. duane