Wood working building Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ganado, Jul 19, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

[​IMG]

Below is the simple version of the above Japanese bedframe made using no nails.

I'm wondering if this simpler style below could be adapted for a move able compost pile app 4' x 4'
    [​IMG]

If I did the Same thing on the bottom will it make the main posts too weak?

My goal is to just move the compost pile every year so I'm moving it around the garden in my planting rotation.

If I can't get this to work I may have to add more key hole gardens.

Right now I just nail the boards up and move the pile each year but if I can get something that slides together it would make composting easier.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Any ideas or thoughts

2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

You do not need a solid wall, correct? Slats would do?

3. kellory

Leave the thinner cross pieces raised slightly, and add a corresponding crossed notch to the bottom of the square posts. This will allow them to be stacked securely. Like leggos.

4. kellory

[​IMG] This will not have a lot of strength, though. Keep this in mind. The hooked pieces are thin, and will break with the grain. It is designed to have strength straight down.
    I would suggest more of a split rail fence design.
    With four corner posts bypass cut like this corner post. It could remain mobile.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
    Brokor likes this.
  5. Grand58742

Grand58742 Monkey+++

I would say yes, it will make it weaker especially when you start putting lateral pressure on it from the compost. As Kellory stated above, the posts will split along that vertical line as you add more compost and it gets wetter. Add sun/rain/weather/bugs and you won't get that many seasons out of it.

Now what you could do is miter out the bottom boards to 45 degrees and attach hinges to two of them to connect them. Attach a hasp and lock at opposite ends of the exterior boards to where you latch them together. You would have two halves of your square that would connect and lock. Leave the top as it's pictured, but place the bottom boards on the outside of the post. You would have a gap, but not much to mention.

Just an idea

Ganado likes this.
  6. kellory

What I use for puppies is similar in concept to what you just described. I have several board sections all connected with hinges. Pull the pins. And they fall apart. Reassembly is just dropping hinge pins in holes.use as many sections or as few as you need.

Ganado likes this.
  7. William Warren

William Warren Monkey+++

For compost, just get some pallets and staple chicken wire to them. Nail four of them together, and use a couple of old broom handles to hold in the "door" on the front. It works very well and usually costs nothing.

8. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

There are lots of instructions on constructing your own compost tumbler.
    Compost Barrel Instructions - - Yahoo Video Search Results
    I don't know if you would prefer this tumbler method, but it does save space and is mobile. I think the other guys already covered the framed aspect for a ground compost setup. Whenever I used a ground compost pile, I just kept it in the same place. Good luck!

Tully Mars likes this.
  9. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I may try the pin and hung method. Ty gentlemen your suggestions are much appreciated

10. kellory

Still got me on your mind, I see....:rolleyes:[sarc1]

Ganado likes this.
  11. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I hate pallets...

12. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Better yet, Just get a Man to build it....
    [LMAO]:lol:[lolol]

Sorry, I couldn't help it-I'm unsupervised today...

13. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

I use concrete blocks. Leave one side open so you can turn the pile with ease. Close up that side with a moveable wood "fence".

Ganado likes this.
  14. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@mars tully. *smack* shots fired. I may do that. Get some muscle into it and I get to watch. O.O

@HK. I literally move my compost pile annually and only turn it 2x a year
    I'm a lazy gardener.

@Tobit. I love those beds frames too mine are a little taller so I can slide stuff under the bed And I Have This Kind Of mattress.
    Amazon.com - Tuft & Needle 10-Inch Mattress, Queen -

These guys are the best price for this kind of mattress

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
    Tully Mars likes this.
  1. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 11, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Starfruits!

In flight
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
  4. Alanaana
    Foot hooping
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 28, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
    I love Sundays!
  8. Alanaana
  9. Alanaana
    I'm always happier outside!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  10. Alanaana
  11. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  12. Alanaana
  13. Alanaana
  14. Alanaana
    Media

Garden

My herb garden loves the rain.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  15. Alanaana
    Somewhere... can you see it?
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 24, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  16. Alanaana
    Media

Blue_skies

And sunshine
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 20, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  17. Alanaana
  18. Alanaana
    Blossom
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Oct 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  19. Alanaana
    Tropical flowers
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Oct 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  20. Alanaana
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7