1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

Wooden bullets?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Gallowglass, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Winter is coming

I have a found some wooden 7.62x39 "practice rounds" that are very inexpensive. As I am sighting in and training some people in the use of the SKS, I am buying a lot of brass these days.

I have never even seen wooden practice rounds and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with wooden practice rounds and if they are worth purchasing, and what I can expect from them as far as performance vs. the 122gr FMJs that I shoot now?

I would appreciate some advice.
  2. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Adventure Riding Monkey Founding Member

Back in the old bolt-action days, wooden bullet loads were used in conjunction with a unit fitted to the rifle muzzle that would fragment the wood, not allowing it to be 'fired' any distance. I remember Sportsman's Guide selling these years ago to fit various Mausers.
    If fired, I would expect very different ballistic performance from lead bullet loads! I see no real practical use for them.
  3. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

I've fired plastic bullets for a 50 cal., and the wooden bullets definitely have a use, for short range, basement, or rural back-yard firing.
  4. magnus392

magnus392 Field Marshall Mags Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

At about 5ft a guy on another board couldn't recover any pieces of the bullet. I think it is just balsa. I don't recall if it would cycle the action of his AK or not. The brass is BERDAN primed so reloading it would take a bit of work, but is do-able. I haven't heard of anyone doing it yet and their is concern about the quality and uniformity of the cases.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary