Woodland over nighter.

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by sticks65, Apr 12, 2010.

1. sticks65

sticks65 Monkey++

Well i decided to go spend the night in the woods that i have just got permission to use,i have guerrilla camped here before but its much nicer knowing if the farmer turns up it just for a cuppa and a chat.

My Wife dropped me off at 4pm and it took about an hour to set up camp,first priority was get my tarp up and my kit underneath it as you never know when the skies will open up here in England, i also Set up my hammock with sleeping bag and self inflating mat.
    [​IMG]

I got the fire box going so i could boil some water for a coffee and while that was heating up i unpacked some more gear and i collected some wood for my fire.
    [​IMG]

I took a bag of split wood in with me which put me a head of the game
    [​IMG]

Id already had my Sunday dinner but i was starting to get hungry so i eat the sandwiches that i had packed,had a nice cuppa and the collected some more wood.

So now my camp was set up and id had some food and a coffee i chilled out in my hammock for 45 minutes.

View from my hammock.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hammock.
    [​IMG]

Then i went for a walk about.

I found some old dried up puffball fungi,you can see all the brown spores.
    [​IMG]

Lots of bluebells.Non edible.
    [​IMG]

Nettles,ive made soup in the past with nettles.
    [​IMG]

Lords & Ladies[arum maculatum]non edible.
    [​IMG]

Standing dead wood that a woodpecker has been busy chopping at.
    [​IMG]

Don't know who lives here,probably a wood sprite.
    [​IMG]

Found some flint and tested it with my knife and got some sparks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It started to get a little cold after sun down so i got my fire going for the night.
    [​IMG]
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

2. sticks65

sticks65 Monkey++

Next morning i woke at 5.45am.

There was still embers glowing in the fire so i got the billycan going for a coffee and breakfast,while it was heating i started to pack my kit away.
    [​IMG]

Made a coffee and some instant chicken noddles and two rounds of bread.
    [​IMG]

I was fed,packed and ready to move out by 6.50am and had a 5 mile walk home.

Pics from my walk home.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Wow that was nice and relaxing to read and enjoy... thanks for posting!

4. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Very alright! I like to slip into the woods here for some 'stealth camping' too. I'm very close to the local National Forest, and sometimes pack my kit on my Dual Sport bike, and motor into the woods near a water hole. One night, heard a pack of coyotes around me - letting me know they didn't like an interloper I guess. I use a little 2.5lb bivytent. Don't use a fire, as it would be too visible - bubba likes to motor back there with his 4X4 trucks. My bivytent, bike cover and tarp are camo - I'm invisible from fifty yards away!

5. sticks65

sticks65 Monkey++

Sounds good to me,id think i may invest in a dirt bike that is road legal so i can get further a field.

6. sticks65

sticks65 Monkey++

Your welcome Bear.

7. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

Very cool judging from the pics I could get to load (crap 3rd world bandwidth). I wish I was there. I think my first order of business is to take my little girl camping/fishing when I get back.

8. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

Nice.

9. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Are there any public lands (forest) that a person can go camping primitively or are most forests privately owned with commercial-style camping with all the amenities?

10. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Camping is legal in the various National Forests, but to carry a gun you need a CCW if not hunting season. Camping in other than a developed campground is not allowed during hunting season.

11. sticks65

sticks65 Monkey++

Yes there are some public land you can camp on including woodland and mountains.

I hate commercial style camping with all the amenities.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7