Woohoo - Stainless Knives a-comin'!

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Valkman, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

A while back I ground a bunch of blades in ATS-34 and sent them off to Paul Bos, the best there is at heat treating stainless. There was also TLynn's stainless Damascus knife - but who cares about that. [tng2] LOL

There's 3 of a new Bird & Trout model, 9 of my popular Small Skinner and 3 of my big new Camp Knife - pics will be taken! :D

Also have Bos stencils coming - it's such a big deal to have him HT knives that makers and buyers want to see that stencil on there.

I have 4 knives to finish in O1 and then I'll start finishing these! If you want to see something let me know - as always I'm giving people here first chance.

I still have to work out prices for these, but from now on Ironwood is $25 extra - I'm going broke buying this stuff!

2. Cousin Jack

Cousin Jack Knifemaker Founding Member

[drooling]

3. Valkman

Heh - that's how I am too!

Here's the new Camp Knife - 6" blade, 11 1/2" overall:

[​IMG]

Here's 9 of my small skinners to the right and three new Bird & Trout to the left:

[​IMG]

Here's the new B&T's with a small Skinner on top for comparison. The B&T have a 3" blade and are about 8 1/2" overall.

[​IMG]

4. Valkman

And Ladies, that Camp knife is great for those pesky ex's who won't leave you alone! Of course the Bird & Trout is nice for the light torture work once you have 'em bound up. :D b::

5. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

NOOOOOOO!!!!! Don't give them any ideas. That should be unethical marketing.

6. Valkman

Um, yea, I meant once you have the bird or trout bound up. [beer]

7. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I like the way you think...

PM sent... ;) [ROFL]

8. ghostrider

See, that has to be unethical marketing, CRC doesn't need any help.
    Glad none of them will cut ectoplasm. b::

9. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Did I mention I am a practicing Wiccan??

[ROFL]

10. ghostrider

How many wicks can a wiccan can if a wiccan can can wicks?

11. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Yeah thats what Tina was mentioning before it was ever read about anyone elses ideas on them just based on the design. :shock: Aint she just so sweeeeeeeet! lol :p :D

12. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

[rofllmao]

I can't wait to see the finished product Valkman!

13. BigUglyOne

BigUglyOne Monkey+++ Founding Member

What does it cost to have Bos heat treat a blade ??

Very nice blades. btw !

14. Valkman

One blade is like $14, but 20 blades is $70 so knifemakers try to send at least 20 at a time. I sent 17 knives and it was $70 + $2.50 + $8 shipping. One knife would be like $24.50 total and that's rough btu he has to use the same power in the oven for one knife or 20.

http://www.buckknives.com/downloads/Paul_Bos_Brochure.pdf

15. BigUglyOne

BigUglyOne Monkey+++ Founding Member

Is there something special in the heat treat process that makes it harder to do ?

16. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

melbo<-------------------------likes

I'll carve someone up if that's their thing. I'm open to testing my blades on anything...

I have had offers for my Snakewood/Damascus for well over 2X what i paid for it. I should just sell and order another. Do it the AMerican way and be a Valkman middleman... [peep]

17. Valkman

I knew I was too cheap... I mean I sold it too cheap! :oops:

I'm tellin' ya, my stuff could be worth tens of dollars someday!

I almost have a Bird & Trout ready with green canvas micarta handles - sweet. There's only 1 first knife and I'm trying to really make it nice.

BigUglyOne, yes SS is different from carbon steel and really benefits from soaking at critical temp, and that requires a digital oven. Some guys have their own, but Bos can also cyro treat it after HT and that completes the cycle.

I'll see if I can't ask and see who has an oven and if they'll do it for you. :D

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7