Wool blanket for survival/camping

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Coyote Ridge, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Coyote Ridge

Coyote Ridge Monkey

Great survival/camping blanket.

Brokor and Oltymer like this.
  2. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

I got 4 some time ago on sale.

Brokor likes this.
  3. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I have a few companies I buy from, depending on what I am wanting to do with them.

4. sdr

sdr Monkey++

I picked one up last year. People weren't kidding when they said it stinks. I hung mine outside for a few day before bringing it into the garage. Took about a month before the stench left. Its a pretty thin blanket but for the price its a good deal in my opinion

5. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Made in China no doubt.

Not that that's a big problem, but my wife bought some nice flannel po-jamma bottoms from China last year for me. Pretty comfortable and warm.

Problem was, in a couple of weeks my legs were covered in ringworm. Took about two to three months of over-the counter fungicides to get rid of the damn stuff.

Buyer beware.

Witch Doctor 01 likes this.
  6. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

I like the Harbor Freight moving blankets. They are really warm and more durable than the wool.

DKR likes this.
  7. duane

duane Monkey+++

While I have no problem with Harbor Freight, etc, wool blankets and have some surplus army blankets, US WW2, Swiss, German, be careful and get Army blankets, not Camp blankets. Lot of thin wool blankets are designed for either summer camps or emergency shelter use, and were not meant to be a survival tool. While expensive a Faribault or Hudson Bay type heavy wool blanket can never be beat for warmth and length of use. A side note, nothing ever beats a smaller tightly woven blanket meant to be used as a robe, bed roll, etc. Pendleton used to make them, don't know if they still do as they now make fancy blankets at a fancy price, might have had to do that to stay in business. They were so tightly woven that once damp, they would repel most water and you would stay warm when wet. Not as heavy as a fluffy blanket, but they could not be beat under a poncho or a slicker.

8. also wool keeps a lot (60% or more) heat retainability when wet vs other materials. I also like the moving blankets!

chelloveck likes this.
  9. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

its very hard to find those tightly woven, almost water proof wool blankets. if you find em let me know where ;D

chelloveck likes this.
  10. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Just got to thinking,
    If cooling trends continue, so far as survival issues are concerned , one might considder worst case scenarios.
    "Day After Tomorrow " level event.

1. JC Refuge
  2. OlDiceGames
  3. Andy the Aussie
  4. JC Refuge
  5. Coyote Ridge
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Coyote Ridge
  8. Coyote Ridge
  9. Prepsteader13
  10. Dunerunner
  11. Alanaana