Words to think about

Discussion in 'Faith and Religion' started by -06, Feb 27, 2012.

1. -06

-06 Monkey+++

"If you find yourselfloving any pleasure more than your prayers, any book better than the Bible, anyhouse better than the house of the Lord, any table better than the Lord'stable, any person better than Christ, or any indulgence better than the hope ofheaven - be alarmed." - Thomas Guthrie

modernwoodsman, Minuteman and BTPost like this.
  2. Redneck Rebel

Redneck Rebel Monkey++

Prayer has it's uses. As you know I am a heathen. I say prayers but those prayers are more an exercise in self awareness than conversations with gods. I practice the rituals of my faith with the awareness that the gods aren't existential in any real way. They are simply metaphors that help to understand life in a way that is comprehensible to our limited minds. The gods, rituals, "magic", runes are just tools that help bring forth what our subconscious already knows. Awakening the mind on deeper levels and enabling more thoughtful control over ones own life. In many ways I'm not truly an Asatru. Our ancestors (and most modern day pagans) think they are being guided by those who lived before us, enlightened by the gods, etc. but its really nothing more than a form of meditation.

tulianr likes this.
  3. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

Wise words -06. I am not familiar with Thomas Guthrie. I will have to google him and see who he is. Thanks for posting.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7