Words we hate

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ghrit, Aug 28, 2015.

1. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

It doesn't bother me when it's a skater using it, but when marketing companies apply it to everything from cheesy romance novels to a new flavor of Doritos, it's time to retire the word. Much like "racism" it no longer has any meaning.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
    Mountainman, Yard Dart and RightHand like this.
  2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I hate that too. Every time I disagree with a black. Suddenly I must be a racist. (No, I dislike you because you're an @$$hole, not because you're black)

3. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

EXCELLENT. Dude I just loved that movie.

kellory, Yard Dart and ditch witch like this.
  4. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

"Dude" <--- There's another one. NO!![hearno][tongue]

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Shades of the surfer boy craze in wayback times.

Yard Dart likes this.
  6. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Legit - "I am so legit tired/hungry/bored/sweaty/awesome."

Puulease!

RightHand likes this.
  7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Lockdown. Yeesh. Only makes sense in the context of a cell block. Lockdown a day care center?

8. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

"reasonable"

Marck and Seawolf1090 like this.
  9. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

"Common Sense Gun Laws"........ an oxymoron to beat them all.

Capt. Tyree and kellory like this.
  10. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

Can't bring myself to hate words. Words=communication & I like to communicate. I have no problem strongly disliking a message that words might convey. No problem with strongly disliking the messenger, as well. I'm only a picky human after all! On the flip side, I also understand that anybody else is free to reciprocate in kind.

Marck and Ganado like this.
  11. Capt. Tyree

Capt. Tyree Hawkeye

Two talking point phrases that used to be favorites mostly used by politicians and pundits on the political left is: "at the end of the day" and "the fact of the matter is (or remains).....". I first noticed these two phrases years ago when Teddy Kennedy used them repeatedly as a summarizing phrases for several of his viewpoints. They still comes up every once in a while (Dem Party Chair Debbie Wasserman Shultz lately), but appear to have been put on the back burner by them due to over-use.

Another phrase most often used in attempt to churn up public sympathy for some new federal law or regulation is: "if it just saves one CHILD" and its cousin "it's for the CHILDREN". Again, it seems that the big govt-leaning politicians and pundits spew these out on a regular basis much more than those on the conservative side.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
    Marck, RightHand and Ganado like this.
  12. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

"Comprehensive"

All political solutions must now be "comprehensive". They only succeed in creating division, expense and a need for more "comprehensive" solutions.

RightHand likes this.
  13. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Booh

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7