Would you buy affordable guns to hand off in an emergency?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by wideym, Jun 2, 2020.

1. wideym

wideym Monkey+++

Lately the gunshop I help out at has been selling handguns and pump action shotguns in record numbers. As I scour the back room looking for guns to put on the racks, I've come across a few guns that were priced pretty good and put them on layaway, although I don't particularly need them. The main reason is to hand them off to others if I need to arm someone in need without giving away too much money.

One is a Keltec PF9 with three mags for just under $200 out the door and the other is a Walther PPX 9mm with two mags for under $200 out the door. I actually sent the Keltec back to the factory for repair about two years ago and they practically re-built it and the Walther is like new internally, but one side has issues with the finish.

I've had one friend tell me that he would not keep an "extra" gun to hand off because "They should have bought one before they needed it". Later his house burned down with all his guns, ammo, and preps inside. The only thing left was his garden shed with his riding mower, weed eater, and Christmas decorations. I traded a Ruger P89 with five loaded mags for his John Deere mower since I felt sorry for him.

duane, GOG, SB21 and 1 other person like this.
  2. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

No.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. wideym

wideym Monkey+++

Any particular reason why? Funds? Liability? Just don't care?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

Sorta.
    My grand dad, WW I & WW II vet, told me I should prepare to have a long gun, a side arm, and a standard ammo load out for each member of the family that lived within reasonable driving distance. He actually had enough for a couple close neighbors, but more as a backup since they were all well equipped anyways.
    To hand off to stangers/aquaintenances ? prob not.

Yard Dart, 3cyl, Tully Mars and 5 others like this.
  5. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Liability.

being a co defendant in a murder/manslaughter case holds no appeal.

STGThndr, STANGF150, 3cyl and 5 others like this.
  6. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Two things I won't share, my woman or my weapons.

7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I have a Policy that I NEVER loan FireArms to ANYONE... I may allow another person to shoot my firearms, in my presents, but Loan, No Way.... If they want to buy it, they can do so, if I am willing to sell, but they go thru the Whole 4473 form & NICS Check thing, and fork over the cash, before delivery.... PERIOD... Been that way since i was 12 years old, and presented with my first FireArm... See no reason to change...

Capt. Tyree, STANGF150, 3cyl and 8 others like this.
  8. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I loaned out an 20 gauge pump once to a friend....
    When it was returned it looked like he left it in the bottom of a pi rouge all day...Nevermore!

9. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I have AR's and ammo for close family and friends that are still dreaming the dream and will soon wake up. Bought while prices were low and nobody was paying attention.

Why?
    1. I care about them. I don't want to condemn them for their ignorance.
    2. No man is an island. I can't stand alone so it's in my best interest to have armed people I can count on.
    3. I bought while AR's and ammo were inexpensive.
    4. The intended people, in addition to being loved, bring skills we/I need in order to survive.

Navyair, STGThndr, john316 and 6 others like this.
  10. wideym

wideym Monkey+++

We have at least one of the two in common.

I also have AR's and pistols for close family and friends, though I usually give it to them when I see that they are responsible instead of waiting until there is an urgent need arm friends and family. Many of the younger family members will have to wait for awhile longer since they are not even in the double digits yet.
    When I gift anyone a weapon, I do not put conditions on it. No, "You can never sell it" or "You must keep the ammo for an emergency only" or "If I don't like how you are living your life, I can take it back".

My usual formula is: 1-semiautomatic rifle (AR usually) and ten standard mags (30 rounders)
    1-semiautomatic pistol and five standard mags
    1 set of web gear or vest (4 rifle pouches, 1 pistol pouch, holster, 2 canteens and cups, buttpack, belt and suspenders.
    1000 rounds rifle
    250 rounds pistol
    1 cleaning kit
    I would rather they get used to the kit and sight in the rifle before hand. And I never loan, only give. So far in 30 years I've never had an issue with it and I've given away over a hundred weapons in that time.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2020
    Gator 45/70, 3M-TA3 and duane like this.
  11. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

So is she any good ?

Guns are recorded in Canuk land and they (Police , from the police state just outlawed hundreds of guns )) They know the fight is coming !
    S

12. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

The extras I may or may not have ,,, I will gladly loan them out ,,, if they are sitting beside me fighting off the ones trying to take them. Otherwise ,,, probably not.

Gator 45/70, 3M-TA3, duane and 2 others like this.
  13. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

^^ This ^^

Gator 45/70 and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  14. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Not just no, but hell no.
    I might sell some at gloriously inflated prices but even that is unlikely.

15. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

I bought a couple of AK's some years back when they were dirt cheap. Wife's sister/husband come over for dinner from time to time, and husband/I often target shoot after dinner for entertainment. I've gotten him into prepping some at their home.....putting up food/buying some silver, etc, and knew he had no long guns, so after teaching him to shoot one of the AKs, I gave one to him because I wanted him to have something for defense.

16. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I’ll loan out my Shepherd’s Sling. Untraceable, I hope. :D

chelloveck and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I only buy good stuff. The only junk I have is that hi point 380 carbine and even it's getting it's barrel threaded and a cheap form 1 solvent trap silencer.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I specifically purchased a S&W AR (M&P-15 Sport II) when they were on sale here dirt cheap ($500) to hand out to my neighbor if things go really to hell.

He has an AR for himself but not for his wife and he doesn't make a lot of money so they currently don't have a second one. Pistols are fine but in a offense scenario and you want to truly hit something then I believe one needs a rifle so... He is one of the few people around here that I know I can depend on in a crisis. He's wife is an Idaho country girl and knows firearms but they simple don't have the money yet to purchase a second rifle so... Yes, I have done exactly as you stated...and I admit it truly wasn't out of altruism but more for self survival in an emergency. And, if he never needs it, good, then I have a third AR. Hell, I wish I purchased two! It's a nice little gun, good shooter and a steal for $500...

wideym, GOG and Gator 45/70 like this.
  19. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I do not loan tools, and my firearms and fishing equipment are tools. Ask yourself if you would loan your car or truck to a neighbor.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    Seawolf1090 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  20. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

Actually I do.
    I have borrowed a neighbors Bobcat on occasion, and he has used my tractor and/or dump truck as needed. I have also let him borrow my old Model 12 for a weekend of upland bird hunting. And he lets me use his .338 for a high-power competition.
    That said - he was my best man many years ago: a relationship that out lasted the marriage.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7