Would you buy affordable guns to hand off in an emergency?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by wideym, Jun 2, 2020.

1. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

We have enough extra that in the unlikely event our already heavily armed friends needed one we could find them something. Might be a WW1 Mauser or a single action revolver but beggers better not be whiners unless they wanna wind up holding a rock and a prayer.

But go out and buy guns for that day? Yeah, no.

2. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

I'd find something else - hell go buy something else - before letting someone take a Model 12 into the field hunting >>> can't buy a beat up POS for under a $1,000

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

I'll add this by way of 'loaners'

I wanted my kiddos to have a specific set of firearms, and even certain calibers. (shotty in 12 ga, center fire rifle, center fire pistol (yes, 45 ACP, are there any other even worth owning? 22 rifle & pistol)

For several years, Sanata was very, very good to them.

After awhile, all they got was ammo.

Now - they just get is - nagged to hit the range and keep their muscle memory topped off.

outside of the family - AMF....

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    Tully Mars and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Short answer, Nope! I don't plan to support anyone outside my close family, who are also well equipped, so anything I may have would only be used or passed out to replace lost or hard bent weapons others already have! Strangers, Not a chance in hell, they should be able to scrounge what ever they need ( after all, were talkin TEOTWAWKI, so...) Their on their own!

Alf60, Tully Mars and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Well, Perhaps one of my neighbors whom went thru Fallujah killing everything that stuck its head up.
    My kind of friend,Rather have him beside me vs facing me....

DKR likes this.
  6. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I'm thinking he wouldn't need a hand off from you. Maybe another full mag so he can keep shooting, but probably not a firearm.

mysterymet, Ganado and OldDude49 like this.
  7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I think I know about a dozen people I can trust my life with.

mysterymet and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

One of the things I think is overlooked here is who you may get stuck with. The boyfriend you did not know your daughter had, cousin Bob, your prepper friends who was overrun and lost everything. I pick up guns when I can, off caliber what ever, and try to get 100 rounds for it, some I would trade if needed and the deal was right, Like if on the road and need fuel to get home, some farmer may have a new gun.

I may need to replace lost or broken arms, and if not I will bury then as a fall back.

wideym, Ganado, Gator 45/70 and 3 others like this.
  9. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

A collection of cheap but functional firearms (with the reloading wherewith-all to keep them fed) is good insurance. I'd be careful of handing off to others outside my family / tribe though unless I had compelling reasons to do so. Probably would limit the spread of calibres, and avoiding uncommon, oddball calibres. Having a collection of spare parts for maintenance and replacements is wise also.

7.62mm / 5.56mm / .303 /.357 Magnum /.22lr / ,22wmr / .22 Hornet / 12G / 20G .410G

mysterymet and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

If I’m in a gunfight I would sure like the guy next to me to have a gun also. Damn right I would give him one of mine if he’s without. Anyone would. Damn the liability. Dead men don’t stand trial either. I don’t buy guns for that purpose, but I might have a few more than I can fire at any one time.

11. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

If the need arose, I likely would loan out...but most around here have their own arms.

But no, I would not purchase solely for the purpose of handing them out.

12. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

They would get my toothbrush before I would give them a gun. There's only a couple of people I can trust with my guns and life!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  13. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Now is a time to sell, I'm personally fearful of firearms because _ _ _ _ _ _ _!

Alf60 and Oddcaliber like this.
  14. STGThndr

STGThndr Monkey+

15. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

Guns and ammo to my immediate family only. Anyone else would be looking for trouble.
    [flag]

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. I have a variety of calibers but they fall into limited diameters, .450", .350" .300", .220" . An awful lot of cartridges fall into those four sizes. I've layed-by components, bullet molds, and reloading dies for many of them. from .450 Marlin to .223 Rem.

Oddcaliber and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I posted about the idea many years ago, and it's a good topic for discussion. The idea is centered around the condition of without rule of law (WROL), and it is not meant to be construed as a method to do anything illegal during times of law and order. With this in mind, I favored the purchasing of lightly used .22 cal rifles from local sources, roughly around the price range of $150 or less. Some skill at maintenance of firearms may be required, but if handled correctly, a hefty arsenal could be acquired. The primary reason would not necessarily be to arm citizenry for defense, although an argument could be made for a few dozen people with relatively silent and highly accurate small caliber rifles, but for procuring food from small game in time of great need. The .22 cal rifles would serve as a solid barter item, or to use in a time of emergency to assist a town.
    With the Obama scare recently in our rear-view, the scarcity of .22 ammunition promptly placed a massive exclamation mark on the importance of planning ahead. The entire event I just mentioned both lends itself to the cause for having .22 rifles and pistols, as well as deters from it. On one hand, you can be assured a whole lot of people out there will have a plethora of .22 ammunition, and on the other you won't find any for sale shortly after any kind of gun grabbing fear campaign emerges. Therefore, if a person plans accordingly and acquires both the rifles and the ammunition, there should be little issue.

Gator 45/70 and Ganado like this.
  18. Peyronie kid

Peyronie kid Monkey

Nope

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I'm scared of guns, I'm standing at the front door when looters come,Throwing rose peddles and passing out Ressees cups is my Peace plan !

Oddcaliber and mysterymet like this.
  20. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Maybe friends and family only and not even all of the relatives. However, I lost all my long guns years ago in Craig's list sales to people with valid CWS and the hand guns I lost boating. I am obviously a horrible kayaker.

Oddcaliber, OldDude49 and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7