Wounded Warrior Project

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by melbo, Jan 30, 2015.

Tags:
  1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

As some of you will remember from a few years back, SM raised funds for the WPP and many of us have continued to donate. I'm not opposed to Executive Directors of charities making large salaries but the amount of gross revenue vs amount paid out to vets is a little disheartening if true.

Snip of a recent email from a trusted friend:

I recently pointed out in an article that I thought it was obscene that the executive director of Wounded Warriors is paid well over $300,000-a-year. I also wondered how the group could afford to advertise as extensively as it does on Fox News.

But, I recently received an email from Dr. Richard Stiso that exposed exactly how the charity spends the money it receives from patriotic Americans. According to Guidestar, a group that investigates charities, the Wounded Warrior Project might as well be run by the Mafia. In 2012, the WWP received an astronomical $154,958,901, with a measly $4,857,084 going out in grants to veterans' organizations and $671,194 to individuals. That means that the group only used 3.5% of the money it received for the purpose intended.

In the meantime, the Officers, Directors and Trustees hauled in $15,415,666 million, with Employee Benefits ($2,226,457), Office Expenses ($12,451,303), Travel ($4,086,509), Promotional Items ($4,055, 567) and something called Outside Services ($20,915,404) accounting for roughly 50% of what's listed as "Overhead Expenses".

So just in case you thought it was just the V.A. That was filled with back-stabbing traitors ripping off military veterans, you didn't know the half of it..
    More information see the link below...

Wounded Warriors Project A Legal Scam | Veterans Today

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

And more. It seems like the national WWP doesn't think much of guns. See Gresham - Wounded Warrior Project In Not So Many Words Admits It Is Anti Gun

I quit sending them money two years ago when I found that out; there are better places that produce for vets to get a tax credit. There's little doubt that the WWP does some good for vets, but I think the amount of overhead is out of line. Still, they get some good done, and their policy planning is for more. If they cut out the fat, I'll rethink.

3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I have never donated to them. The Fisher House is the one that stepped up when someone I know was in need. Wounded Warrior has great touching commercials but I always questioned them. Thanks for posting this. To often people give before they check to see if the money goes to the cause or the organizers.

Sapper John, stg58 and oldawg like this.
  4. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I'm done.:(

5. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

We've watched for info on this since we read a snippet on line. We put our efforts/donations into the local area Marine Corps Aux and similar type organizations. Just my 0.02 worth.

Sapper John, Motomom34 and stg58 like this.
  6. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

We raised just over $1,000 during our fundraiser and SM matched that for a donation of over $2K. I've personally donated monthly since then but that ends today.

They spend a lot of money on promotional materials and gifts too. I think about that every time I throw another thick envelope from wwp in the trash.

Sapper John, Motomom34, stg58 and 4 others like this.
  7. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Don't get me wrong, we have donated to WWP in the past. We just don't anymore. My family was very miffed about all this coming out as we are a military family dating back to the War of Northern Aggression. My wife's family is the same. I guess a feeling of betrayal best sums up the overall feeling of our families about this subject.

8. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

The uncivil war

Motomom34 and Tully Mars like this.
  9. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Very disappointing to find out their financial management of well intentioned donations.... that overhead is way out of line!!! Maybe this exposing of the WWP will force them to fix their issues.... as well as send notice to any other charitable organizations that the people do pay attention, to what is being done in their name.

Done with supporting them.... until/if they fix this issue. Our wounded warrior's deserve much better!!!!

Here is the complete breakdown for 2013 per this site. There is also contact information for WWP if you want to reach them to voice your opinion.
    The comments section is an interesting read as well.
    Charity Navigator Rating - Wounded Warrior Project

A good tool to evaluate charitable organizations.
    Charity Navigator - America's Largest Charity Evaluator | Home

Sapper John, oldawg, melbo and 2 others like this.
  10. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

Thanks for the eye opening and sad news, No further contributions from me.

Sapper John and Motomom34 like this.
  11. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

That's absolutely reprehensible.

12. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

I actually quit donating to them when I discovered that they would only help vets of the "post 9/11 wars"...

This is just one more reason.

Witch Doctor 01 likes this.
  13. Capt. Tyree

Capt. Tyree Hawkeye

Red warning flags went up a few years ago when the WWP TV ads just looked too slick. They are designed to tug at the emotional heartstrings of citizens who just want to do something to help, and may not have a close personal military connection. Then, when WWP refused to accept any charitable relation with the NRA, that told me they were very likely another political group masquerading as a noble charity just for the money.

Look at how often politicians (usually on the left) use the phrase "for the children" to rally support for some tax-raising bill. The phrase "for the Vet" is rapidly gaining on "the children" in terms of usage as an emotional "hook" for both good and bad charitable efforts and/or tax-raising efforts to help "the Vet".

I have heard very good things about Fisher House, though.

Sapper John, oldawg, ghrit and 2 others like this.
  14. Yard Dart

And it looks like the issues at the WWP continue:

"The charity for wounded veterans, the Wounded Warrior Project, is facing accusations of using donor money toward excessive spending on conferences and parties instead of on recovery programs, according to a CBS News report.

Army Staff Sergeant Erick Millette, who returned from Iraq in 2006 with a bronze star and a purple heart, told CBS News he admired the charity’s work and took a job with the group in 2014 but quit after two years.

"Their mission is to honor and empower wounded warriors, but what the public doesn't see is how they spend their money," he told CBS News.

Millette said he witnessed lavish spending on staff, with big “catered” parties.

"Going to a nice fancy restaurant is not team building. Staying at a lavish hotel at the beach here in Jacksonville, and requiring staff that lives in the area to stay at the hotel is not team building," he told CBS News.

According to the charity's tax forms obtained by CBS News, spending on conferences and meetings went from $1.7 million in 2010, to $26 million in 2014, which is the same amount the group spends on combat stress recovery.

Two former of employees, who were so fearful of retaliation they asked that CBS News not show their faces on camera, said spending has skyrocketed since Steven Nardizzi took over as CEO in 2009, pointing to the 2014 annual meeting at a luxury resort in Colorado Springs.

"He rappelled down the side of a building at one of the all hands events. He's come in on a Segway, he's come in on a horse,” one employee told CBS News.

About 500 staff members attended the four-day conference in Colorado, which CBS News reported cost about $3 million.

Wounded Warrior Project declined CBS News' interview requests for Nardizzi, but instead sent Director of Alumni and a recipient of their services, Captain Ryan Kules, who denied there was excessive spending on conferences.

"It's the best use of donor dollars to ensure we are providing programs and services to our warriors and families at the highest quality," he said.

Kules added the charity did not spend $3 million on the Colorado conference, but he was not there and was unable to say what it did cost. He also told CBS News that the charity does not spend money on alcohol or engages in any other kind of excessive spending."

Wounded Warrior Project reportedly accused of wasting donor money | Fox News

Sapper John likes this.
  15. Yard Dart

Charities Performing Similar Types of Work
    Highly Rated
    Charity Name & State Overall Score Overall Rating
    Wounded Warrior Project (FL) 84.52 [​IMG]
    Army Emergency Relief (VA) 87.95 [​IMG]
    Homes for Our Troops (MA) 94.64 [​IMG]
    Operation Homefront (TX) 96.34 [​IMG]
    DAV (Disabled American Veterans) Charitable Service Trust (KY) 92.68 [​IMG]
    Charity Name & State Overall Score Overall Rating
    Operation Homefront (TX) 96.34 [​IMG]
    USO Metropolitan Washington-Baltimore (VA) 91.19 [​IMG]
    Fisher House Foundation (MD) 96.87 [​IMG]
    Hope For The Warriors® (NC) 95.35 [​IMG]
    USO of Hampton Roads and Central Virginia (VA) 91.09 [​IMG]

Charity Navigator Rating - Wounded Warrior Project

Tully Mars and Sapper John like this.
  16. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

I had heard that before from a guy that dealt with them personally as a fund raiser. He stopped raising money for them shortly after visiting their headquarters. Now he raises money for a local veterans charity.

17. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

All charity should be local. Cut out the middle man. If you can't find a vet locally that needs help, your not looking.

Tully Mars, BTPost and Yard Dart like this.
  18. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

First thing I do before donating to charity is check out their financial records, since as a non-profit, they are required to have them accessible. And that's what I look at, how much is used for overhead/administrative costs as compared to what actually goes to help people.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7