wringer washers

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by marlas1too, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@BTPost
    I figured you'd enjoy it.

My Mom and her Mother put hot and cold water in to do the whites. After it cooled, they did colors. When possible, we still hang our sheets out to dry. Nothing smells as good as outside dried.

chelloveck and BTPost like this.
  2. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Sun drying not only saves on grid power costs, the UV exposure tends to kill off bacteria as much as the washing cycle.

3. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

as far as the sun killing bugs/germs/microbial crap, I am pretty sure most of you know clear 2 liter plastic bottles filled with clear strained water, will have most of the rest of the bad stuff killed just by leaving them in sun for a few days.

4. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@chelloveck
    So does bleach and hot water. ;)

However, nothing smells as fresh as clothes hung outside to dry. Even better is if it rains, then the sun comes out and the temperatures are cool.
    Open a drawer or put your head on a pillow and it doesn't get any better..

chelloveck likes this.
  5. chelloveck

The question I want to know answered, is how I fit a King sized bed sheet into a 2litre plastic bottle??? ;)

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Make ashes of it.

In case you ever wondered why buzzards and other raptors have white feathers, it's for the sun to sanitize those feathers that become contaminated when they scavenge.

chelloveck likes this.
  7. chelloveck

yep...that will surely kill the bacteria....makes solar bottle disinfection a little redundant though.....lol

8. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Buzzards and other scavengers have so much acid in their stomachs it kills e. coli.

However, I doubt they can wash sheets. :)

9. chelloveck

It's not the consumed load of bacteria, that sunning and airing protects against, but infections caused by cuts and scratches, parasites, and fungal infections.

10. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@chelloveck
    That is quite correct. As I said so does bleach and it is the fresh smell we enjoy.

chelloveck likes this.
  11. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

The problem with too much bleach, is that it break down the fabric.

1. Motomom34
  2. aardbewoner
  3. Motomom34
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Motomom34
  6. reinkefj
  7. permacamo
  8. CATO
  9. emergencypreparedness
  10. tinkerbell
  11. Libertad
  12. kckndrgn