August 10th: I asked "The Boss" and our trusty helper Tha, to head about 1.5 hours from Battambang. They were on a mission - a mission from God. Okay, maybe not. But, it sounded cool, anyway. They went to pick up some Black Soldier Fly Larvae, that a guy I met online had been raising. A few days before we were to pick up the larvae from him, I learned he had some empty ponds. I asked if he would like some Tilapia fry to start stocking one of the smaller ponds. He was happy to receive any I sent his way. So, I divided our brood almost in half (about 52 fry) and sent them, along with The Boss and Tha, to their new home. They later returned with BSFL in hand, and with the fish fry (that doesn't sound quite right) safely delivered. Our journey with BSFL had begun. Tha had been shown how the fellow had constructed his compost bins. He was easily able to duplicate the build. In the mean time, I was working on another one from images I found online. Long story short, my version didn't work very well, so I scrapped the idea. Tha's version, however, proved to be quite a fruitful venture. We will continue with this style for all future compost bins. August 23rd: Later images, with food, invasion from house flies (small, white maggots), and cardboard for eggs to be laid in. A side note. I have read where the BSFL will secrete a fly repellent that keeps other flies away. While house flies were prominent in the bin at first, they have since completely vacated the premises, leaving the BSFL to their own devices. We also have eggs being laid in the cardboard hanging from the top of the compost bin. For those who do not know, BSFL are self-harvesting. That is, when they have reached the stage where they need to pupate, they start trying to find a way out of the compost bin. They crawl around the edge of the bin until they are able to find the ramp. They go up the ramp, out through the PVC tubes and fall into the milk bottles. Doesn't get much easier than that. Oh, I can not speak for other parts of the world, because I have only seen other BSF compost bins making direct contact with the ground. But, if we were to do that here, millions of ants would attack the bin and completely destroy the colony. Hence the reason for the moat around the outside of the compost bin. This lead us to another issue to sort. We had to protect a given number of the pupa stage larvae, in order for the colony to continue to grow strong. So, we fed some to the fish, while saving the others in our ant-proof-pupa-protecting-devices - aka 5 gallon (19 liters) buckets. The buckets stand stacked on top of one another, in a large bowl of water. The buckets allow the larvae to dig in for their two week pupa stage, prior to becoming mature, adult Black Soldier Flies. Then, they can easily escape to nearby trees where they mate over the next few days. Below are some larvae that are about to enter their pupa stage and will bury themselves in the mixture we have provided, until they mature. September 5th: Yesterday, we got a chance to view an adult BSF emerging from it's pupa state. I got a few seconds of video during this process: So far, it is working out great. All is well in the land of the Black Soldier Fly.