Yard Dart's Primal Journey

Discussion in 'Survival of the Fittest' started by Yard Dart, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I miss pastries in general.... :cry:

Dunerunner and kellory like this.
  2. Yard Dart

I actually had a pastry a week or two ago and I was not moved to eat 5 more.... I am not missing bread stuff really..... I miss the sweet stuff more. Our receptionist always has a bowl of candy stuff..... I hate that....she is a tease and offers me some all the time knowing I won't touch it.

Dunerunner and kellory like this.
  3. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Mmmmm... Berry Pie! I miss it dearly, but I'm trying to find a gluten free recipe for a primal crust for pies and pizza!! :D

Yard Dart likes this.
  4. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

That's too bad....have a pop-tart ;)

5. Dunerunner

[winkthumb]

Nice score on the honey!! [​IMG]

Yard Dart likes this.
  6. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

I was going to make these a few weeks ago but since I'm trying to keep the carbs crazy low for now I decided to wait a while.
    Maple Coconut Cookies
    Makes 40-50 cookies
    • 1&1/2 cups unrefined coconut oil (at room temperature)
    • 1 cup maple syrup (cold from the fridge)
    • 1/2 cup honey (at room temperature)
    • 1&1/2 cups coconut flour
    • 4 eggs
    • 1 Tb plus 2 tsp vanilla extract
    • 1/2 tsp almond extract
    • 1 tsp sea salt
    • 1/2 tsp baking soda
    • 1/2 cup chopped crispy pecans (optional)
    Directions at Nourished and Nurtured: Maple Coconut Cookies (grain-free : dairy-free : primal : paleo : gluten-free)

AND
    Grain Free, Cauliflower Free, Primal Pizza Crust

8 oz of cream cheese
    1 egg
    1 1/2 cup almond flour
    1 cup ground flax
    1/2 tsp sea salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
    In a medium size bowl, cream the cream cheese. Add egg.
    Mix in remaining ingredients. The dough will be sticky.
    Place dough on a parchment lined pizza baking sheet (mine is about 14″ round). Cover with another piece of parchment and roll out to edges of pie pan. I started with a rolling pan, but I finished it off using my fingers.
    Bake in oven for approximately 20-25 minutes until the crust is dry but not too browned.
    Remove from oven. Top with traditional pizza toppings (I made a turkey cheeseburger pizza).
    Pop it back in the oven for approximately 10 minutes until cheese is gooey. The flash up the broiler for 2-3 minutes to give the cheese a nice golden brown colour.

I'll put in a warning that some people have issues with ground flax that result in IBS like symptoms... and there's a lot of ground flax in this. Also I copied this from elsewhere.... I use a pizza stone, not a pan.

Dunerunner and Yard Dart like this.
  7. Dunerunner

Pizza dough that doesn't rise....:censored:

8. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Hey you said you were looking for a recipe! Least it doesn't have frikkin cauliflower in it like the other 10,000,000 grain free pizza dough recipes.

9. Yard Dart

Well it has been a couple weeks since I last posted.... @Elessar can keep up a great journal of his progress and eating habits (my hats off to him) but I am way to much ADHD to keep on task in that manner. I have been eating well and not straying off the plan "much".....
    I have been working out more with the free weights but have been slacking on the daily trek's since my left knee decided to swell up and remind me of days gone by. It is almost gone back to normal so I should be walking more this week. We finally have some descent weather in the upper 70's so that will be nice to get the outdoor projects moving forward with lot's of heaving lifting
    Current weight is at 207 and just moves a couple of pounds back and forth, depending on my transgressions I suppose. ;)

Quigley_Sharps and ditch witch like this.
  10. Yard Dart

Yesterday I finally broke down and went shopping for clothing..... my pants were falling off me :cool:
    I have gone from an XL to a large shirt and my older shirts started looking really baggy. My pants dropped a size and I only have a couple belts that even work now. I have punched three inches of holes in one of them trying to prolong it's usefullness. I went to the outlets stores and scored from 40 to 60% off on everything!!! I think my total savings was a little over $300.

A week ago the boss asked me if I was doing all right health-wise and was a little concerned over my weight loss thinking something was going on medically. I told him I was doing great, losing 23 lbs since January........:D

Weight this morning- 206 lbs
    [woot]

11. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Awesome! Keep up the good work!

Yard Dart likes this.
  12. Yard Dart

Weighed in this morning and was down to 205... 24lbs in 18 weeks... not bad I suppose considering I basically flattened out and hit a plateau a month ago or so.... and have not lost much since then.
    Curious if anyone has tried this product: Fitbit Flex Wireless Activity + Sleep Wristband
    Amazon.com: Fitbit Flex Wireless Activity + Sleep Wristband, Black: Health & Personal Care
    The wife ordered one for each of us and it should be coming in pretty quick.... I will follow up with input once I get a chance to figure it out, use it or smash it.... time will tell. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2015
    Quigley_Sharps and ditch witch like this.
  13. Yard Dart

Well I have been wearing the Fitbit for a few days now and I have to say it keeps you thinking about meeting your daily goals. The thing works great and seems to be fairly accurate. I tested it on Sunday when I worked at church, and later in the day at home and it passed with accurate results in general. You can look at the graph and see exactly when your activity picked up and when you were at rest. I would recommend this as a tool to track your activity and keeping goals that you have set for yourself. There is more info on it than I will use or contribute to, but it is handy and will help you achieve daily goals.

I started wearing this on a dare from my wife. She suggested (often) that I do not do enough activity because I do not go to the gym everyday. She is regretting that challenge now. You can connect with your friends & family and compete with your daily numbers.... and I have been smoking my wife and daughter.... just doing my normal things.... I do not think I will be getting much crap anymore for not hitting the gym at 5 AM :)

Weight today: 208 lbs

14. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

You're doing great. We are on the same path and enjoying the Primal journey at the same time. My wife called me "pucker pants" because my pants have so much extra fabric in the waist. I've ordered new pants and they'll be here in a week or so. Keep up the good work!

Yard Dart and Quigley_Sharps like this.
  15. Yard Dart

I understand the pucker pants Elessar..... the wife demanded that I go buy new (smaller) clothes because my pants were falling off of me... and I hate to shop, so I pushed that activity as far as I could go..... :D

Minuteman likes this.
  16. Yard Dart

So I have been using the FitBit to track my progress daily and it has shed a lot of light on how much I am walking, sleeping, activity level and burning calories overall. So far I have logged this week: 26.5 miles with 6.5 miles per day on average leaving me at 83% of my goal of 70,000 steps :) I have today and Friday to hit that goal which should not be a problem. Two days this week I moved over 17,000 steps.... which is roughly 7.4 miles. I am in the lead by about 4,000 steps from my wife and 15,000 steps ahead of our daughter (who both go to the gym almost everyday). And yes..... it is competition....and I am winning :D

weight is unchanged....

17. Yard Dart

Okay so I hit the goals for this week..which was the first full week of use. The American Heart Assoc. standards are the basic guidline for the default and I could hit those 75% of the time this week. I covered 71,676 steps this week with almost 6 miles a day covered. Next week I will crank up the goals to 15K steps and 7 miles to cover..... I smoked my wife by 11,000 steps this week.... she is non to happy about the situation.... still winning (as Charlie says). ;)

I think I have resigned to the fact that I have hit the floor (weight) of what my body allows and I am probably putting on muscle in replacement. I have dropped a size in all clothing, my belts all have to be replaced.... and I can conceal my pistola a bit better :D

Last edited: May 17, 2014
    ditch witch likes this.
  18. Yard Dart

Weight today was 204 lbs...... Good stuff right there. :cool:

19. Yard Dart

I went to my gorgeous doctor yesterday to do a check up and update a prescription. She noted the loss of 24 lbs and thought it was great. She was very interested in what I had done to loose that weight and maintain as I have the last 6 months. I got to explain to her the Primal way and spread the good news....

The downer was that per the height/weight chart, she thought I could get down to 185 or so.... I just laughed. I have not weighed that since I was about 22 or so..... we will see what happens, but I doubt that is going to be a reality. I asked her if I looked fat and she just laughed and said I was in the best shape she had seen me. Blood pressure was fantastic as well. :)

I guess I am do for a cholesterol check, so we will see if the Primal diet skews that and makes my number off the chart from to much bacon & such, or if I am balanced by cutting out some of the old crap I used to eat.

As a side note I went to the grocery yesterday and a couple of evil things jumped into my cart. The wife spotted the ice cream and lemonade in the fridge last night and chewed on me. Then threatened to tell the doc when she ran into her at the gym, that I was cheating..... women... jeesh. ;)

20. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

My problem areas continue to be potatoes and alcohol. Both metabolize the wrong way and defeat my best efforts so I have to be on guard against them. I've also cut out most high sugar fruits and found that was a major boost to weight control. Ice cream will really torpedo your best efforts...so really watch yourself like me and potatoes. You're doing great and sub-200 is possible. I'm at 202 this morning and feel like this is where I want to stay. Keep up the good work.

Quigley_Sharps and Yard Dart like this.
  1. Ganado
  2. 3M-TA3
  3. GrayGhost
  4. hot diggity
  5. kckndrgn
  6. Minuteman
  7. ditch witch
  8. DarkLight
  9. Sapper John
  10. RightHand
  11. kckndrgn