Yard Dart's Primal Journey

Discussion in 'Survival of the Fittest' started by Yard Dart, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I am sitting at 204 today and know that I am converting more fat into muscle which is why I am not dropping the weight. I have the same problem with not dropping alcohol from the diet and most likely will still enjoy a rum or a dark beer from time to time. I have done really well with dropping the breads and potatoes and not cheating on that for the most part. Last weeks get away proved to be a difficult one and I basically fell off the Primal wagon for a few days. Man my system told me I had done wrong..... and I paid a price for those transgressions.

I have not eaten the ice cream that I bought the other day. Not even sure if it is still in the freezer as the wife had threatened to throw it out.....

Motomom34 likes this.
  2. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

I miss my potatoes will be 1 year since they have crossed my lips come August.

3. Yard Dart

I had a bowl of chowder a couple weeks back and potatoes were in it. That was the first for me in six months,

4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

No potatoes? Oh no way! I am Irish and gave up beer, no way can I live without potatoes.

Yard Dart and Quigley_Sharps like this.
  5. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Just until i meet my weight goal

Motomom34 likes this.
  6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I have to admit, I love all the Primal journals that people post. I read them all- enjoying every post, cheering you all on silently. I learn so much about eating and how it affects health, both mentally and physically. I will admit that the meals in our home have changed so much since the Primal craze hit the monkey.

Yard Dart likes this.
  7. Yard Dart

Well the evil ice cream that I snuck into the freezer ended up in our daughters bag the other day when she left.... I miss my ice cream. I never even took a taste of it... :(

It has been a crazy two weeks and I am glad we are finally winding down a bit to refocus on my home projects. Two graduations, a wedding, way to much extended family time and we just picked up a rescue dog on Saturday.... I have been a bit strung out.

We had a friend with an associate that had a dog they were trying to re-home. She had passed him off to two other homes, but a 81 lb, 7 month old Great Dane pup takes a certain patience with, that these other folks did not have. Anyways, since we had lost Scout (my walking partner), we had room for another and this dogs story was to difficult, to pass up giving him a good home. Now I have a new partner for my walks/hikes :) He has a good foundation of basic training but his manners are a bit weak... he takes counter surfing for food to a new level.... much work to do. If he keeps chasing our Brussels Griffon, that momma loves as a child, he may find an early end to his rambunctiousness...:rolleyes:

My weight was 204.5 lbs today. Many of the family made multiple remarks on my change in weight without me saying anything.... nice to hear that for sure. [winkthumb]

8. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

LOL@your counter surfing Dane, and congrats on your new buddy! And on the continuing weight loss! :)

Yard Dart likes this.
  9. Yard Dart

203 lbs today and a stretched Achilles tendon due to my recent hard running... guess I am needing to take it a little easier on the sprinting. The new pup is a bit of a puller and I sprinted with him a bit to wear him down.... he is doing fine and I am tender.... I hate getting older.

10. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

Getting older is a B----!

Yard Dart and ditch witch like this.
  11. Yard Dart

Stepped on the scale today and it said 200 lbs..... :D
    Down 29 lbs since starting the Primal plan at 229 in January.
    [touchdown][touchdown][touchdown][touchdown][touchdown]

I have been steady, with only a little cheat here and there, but faithful to the regime regardless. I still need to get more active and back at the gym regularly. I could see loosing a bit more but think in general, I have bottomed out with weight loss. Now it is more a focus on muscle gain than fat loss... I have been doing 30 miles+ a week in walking/trekking. I have tried to increase that distance, but it has been hard since it has been hot out. The last two days have brought rain so... lets continue the excuses..ha ha.
    I ran into a friend that I had not seen face to face since X-mas and he was stunned at the difference in my physique. I did not think at first that I would loose very much when I first started in January.... but I was wrong. I am three pounds off what I weighed when I left the Army in 97!!! :)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
    Sapper John, kellory and ditch witch like this.
  12. Yard Dart

Dinner last night.... Carne Asada and a nice salad.
    IMAG0079.

13. ditch witch

You're about to leave the 200 club! :)
    And your dinner looks awesome. I made carne asada with an avocado tomatillo salsa the other night.

Yard Dart likes this.
  14. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

Your success is inspiring. Great job!

Yard Dart likes this.
  15. Yard Dart

Still hanging with Primal and no real change in weight recently= 203 lbs yesterday.

Our son and his family came over for dinner last night. We had him cook his famous meatloaf that we used to have a lot when he lived with us last year. I miss the meatloaf and had to do a special request.... but I wish we had it with potatoes and gravy ;)
    Thought I would share what we had..... a great recipe!!!

Vegetable Meatloaf with Balsamic Glaze Recipe : Bobby Flay : Food Network
    Ingredients
    • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    • 1 small zucchini, finely diced
    • 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
    • 1 yellow bell pepper, finely diced
    • 5 cloves garlic, smashed to a paste with coarse salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    • Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
    • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
    • 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
    • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
    • 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey (90 percent lean)
    • 1 cup panko (coarse Japanese breadcrumbs)
    • 1/2 cup freshly grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
    • 3/4 cup ketchup
    • 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    Directions
    Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Heat the oil in a large saute pan over high heat. Add the zucchini, bell peppers, garlic paste and 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes. Season with salt and pepper and cook until the vegetables are almost soft, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.

Whisk the egg and fresh herbs in a large bowl. Add the turkey, panko, grated cheese, 1/2 cup ketchup, 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar and the cooled vegetables; mix until just combined.

Gently press the mixture into a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan. Whisk the remaining 1/4 cup ketchup, 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar and 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes in a small bowl; brush the mixture over the entire loaf. Bake for 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.

Per serving: Calories 270; Fat 14 g (Sat. 4.2 g; Mono. 6.3 g; Poly. 3.1 g); Cholesterol 104 mg; Sodium 451 mg; Carbohydrate 16 g; Fiber 1 g; Protein 20 g
    IMAG0130. IMAG0131.

16. Yard Dart

I took the last week off for vacation and slipped a bit here and there with my eating/drinking habits... hitting 210 on Thursday. This morning I weighed in at 203 lbs.... funny how you can swing the weight back and forth with just simple tweaks in the diet... or lack thereof..... :rolleyes:

As of yet I still have not cracked below 200 lbs.... but I am still working at it. :)

17. Yard Dart

I have noticed that I have let some eating habits slide the last month or so and I have backed off a bit on the work outs. I am sitting at 204 today and have not broken the 200 lb line..... though that has never been a real concern for me..... losing 25 lbs+ is priceless to me.

The Primal Plan is a great tool in getting your diet and weight in line with a healthy lifestyle..... I highly encourage anyone reading all of these Primal threads to try it out...... It won't kill you and will most likely make you look and feel so much better. Worse case, you stop after a bit..... but once you get psychologically engaged.... you will want to continue for better health!!
    YD

18. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

That is very true. My Mom was a huge weight watchers person when I was growing up. Since her cooking was tailored to that plan, I learned it. To this day I still eat and think along the WW plan. I don't need to follow the plan but it was how I was raised to eat. If anything children who are brought up in a Primal household will think and eat in the Primal way. They may not follow the plan 100% but the foundation of the plan will always be there.

Yard Dart and Quigley_Sharps like this.
  19. Yard Dart

Well here we are in the holiday season and it is so tough to stay on plan. With the cookies and other tasty treats floating around I have struggled as of late. As well as a bit of lax attention to dietary consumption.....:oops:

I fear that I will continue to struggle through the rest of the holidays, but afterwards I will get more in line. Our receptionist made these chocolate mint cookies today.... OMG.... I had two and had to run away. It does not help that I have been mildly sick with the crud for the last week.... right now nothing taste very good unless there is chocolate in it :rolleyes:

Current weight is hovering around 208 right now.... I swing 3 to 5 pounds routinely.

ditch witch and Quigley_Sharps like this.
  20. ditch witch

I am so glad I no longer work in an office because of all the food everyone always brings in. And girl scout cookies. And drama club bake sales. and and and.

Yard Dart likes this.
  1. Ganado
  2. 3M-TA3
  3. GrayGhost
  4. hot diggity
  5. kckndrgn
  6. Minuteman
  7. ditch witch
  8. DarkLight
  9. Sapper John
  10. RightHand
  11. kckndrgn