Year of the Red Monkey

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hanzo, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Dunerunner, Mindgrinder, GOG and 2 others like this.
  2. duane

duane Monkey+++

Thank you for a refreshing break and a gentle reminder of what is really important in this life we lead.

Hanzo, Dunerunner and Yard Dart like this.
  3. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

i've had mornings like that too but usually after 20 or so beer the night b4.
    pepto bismal might help

4. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Steamed rice pudding sounds good.

Probably very good; but not much for fried foods; however vegetable stew sounds good.

Hanzo likes this.
  5. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

For those in cold climes, stay warm!

It has been extra blanket nights here. Dipped into the 50's. I know it is like summer weather for some of you. But for us here, it is a little bit nippy.

Anyway, looking forward to good eats later.

While I am waiting for my car to come out of the shop, I had some tan tan ramen with smoked fish.

[​IMG]

6. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@Hanzo
    Will you please quit tormenting me. ;););)

Hanzo likes this.
  7. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Sorry @Tikka. :whistle:

Went to Popo's house and had the best jian dui in the universe!

[​IMG]

Washed it down with hot tea with candied fruits and veggies.

[​IMG]

HK_User likes this.
  8. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Popo's jai

[​IMG]

9. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@Hanzo
    A good fighter always stays on offense. :D:D

When I get curious; I search and read. Do you eat vegetarian the first 5 days of the New Year?

Everything looks superb.

Hanzo likes this.
  10. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Aloha @Tikka. A good fighter stays on the offense until it is time to not... :sneaky:

I eat vegetarian when I feel like it. Same with meat and bacon and such. :rolleyes:

Chinese New Year food is really good. Can't beat mom's home cooking. Monkeys look forward to it too. I tell them to go and help so they can learn to make it. Popo will be 94. But it is a lot of work and they are only interested in eating it at this point. Glad two of my three sisters learned to make that stuff.

11. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@Hanzo
    People with too much emotion are prone to continue well beyond; however, good food is different. ;)

Chinese food is good and as usual holiday food is even better. No one can beat mom's home cooking.

That is the way with children. In time, they will learn from your sisters. There is a saying "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." It applies to cooking as well as fishing. ;)

Motomom34 and Hanzo like this.
  12. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

My monkeys are silly. Every time they eat something that I make that they like, they say, "When I get married, you have to teach my husband how to make that!" :rolleyes:

But slowly but slowly, they are learning how to make those things themselves. I have them help me. It starts by just gathering the ingredients and other things we need. Big monkey makes a mean saimin. Little monkey makes a cheese omelette and fried cheese better than me. And they will cook meals for the family on occasion.

Kind of like martial arts. "Wanna hit daddy?" Then correct them from there. Practice it a lot and then add something new.

Motomom34 likes this.
  13. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@Hanzo
    I see their point. Some things I cook better and some she cooks better. Don't tell them until after they are married.. LOL

My daughter learned to cook from my mother who was a superb cook. Until today, my daughter was sure even though she had many, her Nana didn't need a cook book. My daughter knew a cook with decades of experience and I knew one who was learning the art.

Most of my martial arts skills were learned in the military; so not so nice.

Hanzo likes this.
  14. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Military combatives because, to quote Doug Marcaida, "It will KEE-ill!"

Tikka likes this.
  15. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

16. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

What is in the envelope? @Hanzo

Hanzo likes this.
  17. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Hong bao "The red packet" is given out on CNY and sometimes other holidays. Usually, it contains folding money. The receivers, by far, are the elderly and kids, or so it was where I was in SEA.

Hanzo likes this.
  18. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

@ghrit hit it on the head. Also, the link under red envelope gives more details. But essentially, monkey.

My understanding is married folks give it and single folks receive it. Usually relatives and close friends. Also given from sifu to student. It is a kind of parent child relationship. So when we have our Chinese New Year lunch with my students, I will be giving to them. It can vary from a token amount to a vast sum.

I am still waiting to receive one for a vast sum though. :whistle:

Motomom34 and Tikka like this.
  19. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Hanzo likes this.
  20. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

@Tikka...

My monkeys and I crack up every time he says it like that.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7