Yellow fly trap

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by hot diggity, Jun 30, 2018.

1. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

The only bug I dislike more than the yellow fly (deer fly for folks Up North) is the chigger. I can avoid chiggers.

These swarming yellow monsters follow me around all day and fly after me when I drive away..

An old fashioned solution to this is to offer them an alternative to eating me. They seem to like black, and/or STP oil treatment.

It makes me very happy to see their dead carcasses stuck to the trap.
    KIMG2528. When it looses its stickiness or is completely covered in bugs I wipe it off with newspaper and listen to them sizzle and pop in the fire. :)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    Gator 45/70, Zimmy, Hanzo and 6 others like this.
  2. ochit

ochit Monkey+

I have an old ceramic feed bowl about 4 inches in diameter use those glue fly trap ribbons cut it off stick it to the edge and fill with some sugar water I have made 2 liter coke bottle catchers cut the top w/ neck off one and cut an X into the side of the complete bottle makes a funnel put in sugar water and a tiny piece of meat in it and they come to it and cant escape back through the funnel.

Gator 45/70 and Thunder5Ranch like this.
  3. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Tie a piece of rotten meat onto a bug zapper and enjoy the sound of flies popping and sizzling :)

Gator 45/70, Zimmy and ochit like this.
  4. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Yep, I hate yellow flies with a passion! They are slow and easy to swat, but there's always so many of them.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@hot diggity I have heard of chiggers on Beverly Hillbilly's but no clue what they are.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. hot diggity

If you never experience a chigger count your blessings! By weight, they are the most evil biting insect imaginable.
    Chigger. Just stepping off the trail or brushing a bush can get them on you. They find a tight area of clothing (socks, boot tops, waist band) and settle in for a meal... of you. They inject an enzyme that dissolves tissue and chow on you until they are full. Then they drop off. This is where the fun begins. The hole where they were feeding now becomes a blister or itchy red rash. Some people get enormous water filled blisters.

My treatment for them is almost as bad as the disease, but it gives me some relief. I scratch the itchy spots until they are bleeding and then stand in the surf and let the salt water work on the open bites. If I can't get to the ocean I sit in the tub and do the same scratching, but substitute bleach for salt water. Both burn like crazy, and that may be why they work.

There are months of the year when I don't go into the woods at all, and it's chiggers that keep me away.

7. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

They are annoying.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Chiggers are evil.

The ocean and highly chlorinated pool water do help dry them out.

Sevin Dust in an old sock makes a great duster for around the ankles. Gaitors help too.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. AliceWalsh

AliceWalsh Monkey

Chiggers cause unbearable pain and we cannot completely eradicate them off but take some preventive measures to protect ourselves for their bites. Chiggers are most active when the weather is very warm and hence during such seasons, it is advisable to trim of the grass in the garden. Also spraying a good insecticide all over the field or garden might destruct the area. Be careful to cover every part of the skin when you are going to spray. If the condition worsens, consult to professionals to come and handle the situation.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

For some reason I've been lucky my whole life. Been in the south forever , used to pretty much live in the woods , brush , and swamps , and never had a chigger on me. I must have tasted bad to them. But them Parris Island sand fleas was a whole different story,,,,I must have been a sand flea attraction for my short stay there.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Any of you tried adding garlic to your diet, seem to work for repelling a lot of other things.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I burn my woods, Seems to help keep the chiggers and ticks under control.

Gafarmboy likes this.
  13. hot diggity

246 square miles of hunting area is going to take a few days to burn. Forestry does controlled burns throughout the pine timber areas, but the areas I hunt are mostly hardwoods, so I get to enjoy the whole ecosystem.

I just try to hunt over dirt and grasslands until we have a couple hard frosts. From the second freeze until spring is about the only time I wander off the trails in the woods.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Have you tried spraying your cloths with permethrin?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  15. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

16. hot diggity

Not since I retired. When I had to lay still and let bugs crawl on me it was one of my tools. I keep lots of tools handy in case I absolutely must crawl around in the bushes, but like a street fight, I'd rather avoid it when possible.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  1. DKR
  2. Ganado
  3. HK_User
  4. hot diggity
  5. chelloveck
  6. BTPost
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. natshare
  9. sec_monkey
  10. Dont
  11. Motomom34