Yep, this is me.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Little_Rain, Apr 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Stay and be welcome.

2. Seepalaces

Seepalaces Monkey+++

Welcome!

3. yeti695

yeti695 Monkey+

Welcome from Oklahoma.

4. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

5. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Welcome. You will find that we have as many members who offer serious, informative posts as we do Chicken Littles and Johnny Bravos. We all look forward to your participation

chelloveck likes this.
  6. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

And then there is chello.....In a category, (love him or hate him), all of his own. ;)

7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Welcome from southern california

8. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Welcome LR.

9. Little_Rain

Little_Rain Monkey

Haha, I've read a few of your posts elsewhere on the site and I find I usually enjoy your opinions, whether or not I agree.

chelloveck likes this.
  10. chelloveck

Agreement with me is not compulsory...and I don't get all bent out of shape if folks disagree...they get bonus points if their disagreement is supported by sound reasoning and with good evidence. Some people have decided to dance with me, with a view to treading on my toes...they are not often successful with it. A few have me on ignore, but I have to say, it's a godsend to me. I have no one on ignore...even the very few people I find detestable.

I'm sure that you'll fit in well with the stout hearted, strong willed gutsy women who inhabit this place....it's not a place for shrinking violets....though one or two of the fellas, I have found, are very delicate, precious, petals ;)

Ganado likes this.
  11. Little_Rain

Little_Rain Monkey

Haha! I certainly don't consider myself particularly fragile. I'm not one to get all upset about disagreements, either. Ignoring people is the coward and fools way out, imo.

12. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Although I can certainly commend you for having the will to bravely face an opponent, another fine quality to have is discretion, and the ignore feature we have on this forum allows every member to instantly step back and allow cooler heads to prevail. There's nothing wrong with using the ignore function, and I recommend people use it copiously. You can always un-ignore a member anytime you wish. It is also discreet, and nobody knows who is ignoring whom.
    We are here to share information, so interaction is essential. The ignore option does not hinder our purpose, it only accentuates our role. It's better to leave quality content for all to enjoy than to create many threads of heated arguments which often run off topic. But, inviting another member or group of members into a private conversation to work out any arguments is a great strategy to promote understanding between members, too. For some folks, using this approach allows them to maintain their dignity which also grants them the privilege of saying they never place another member on ignore. Guys like myself often run short on time, and it's a simple matter to go back, un-ignore a member, and start up fresh in a day or two.

I have to say overall, this forum is very friendly compared to many others on the web.

GOG, chelloveck, HK_User and 2 others like this.
  13. Little_Rain

Little_Rain Monkey

Allowing cooler heads to prevail is one thing, but ignoring an issue doesn't make it disappear. It's better to fully discuss it than to just pretend someone doesn't exist. I don't think it's necessary to ignore someone just to help be able to walk away from the computer. Just my opinion, though, you understand.

Witch Doctor 01 and chelloveck like this.
  14. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Sometimes an issue is only the Ego of a particular Poster.

15. chelloveck

and sometimes it is not so much the message itself, but the means and method by which it is expressed that is the issue. Sometimes issues escalate as a consequence of misinterpretation and miscommunication and misunderstandings....not necessarily as a result of bad faith or over-weening self importance.

Agreed....though, sometimes a little self reflection helps in figuring out what went wrong; and identifying what needs to be fixed to get the communication process back on track. Unfortunately past experiences with the same person in a forum can tend to colour ones perceptions.

Witch Doctor 01 and Ganado like this.
  16. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

@Little_Rain (and anyone else that is curious about some of the things you see.)
    I add to that from the staff standpoint: Often, there are actions such as PMs in the background that have identified to the member where and how they have gone astray. Not always, but quite often. There are also deliberate hints left on the threads that get ignored. When these sorts of things happen, staff acts to protect the purpose of the site. These actions are taken to eliminate distractions and avoid leaving a bad taste in the mouths of those that come here to learn and teach. We do NOT want anything lying around that will discourage visitors from becoming members. We bend over backwards to avoid banning folks, but now and then, it has to happen.

GOG likes this.
  17. chelloveck

I wish to affirm, the quite heroic efforts, in my view that the admins and mods take to give guidance to those who might benefit from such guidance (which has also, occasionally, included myself, during the course thus far of 5 years of sending some 6K of posts into the ether headed to SM forums).

The admins/mods, I have found to be helpful and patient. Any members who have been banned, have well and truly earned their exile status, and although the admins/mods have a well deserved reputation for patience: patience is not an inexhaustible resource, and at the end of the day the admin/mods are not paid for their herd watching. Furthermore, constantly having to sort out member interpersonal problems distracts from their enjoyment of being a site contributor also.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
    GOG, Witch Doctor 01, Brokor and 2 others like this.
  18. Little_Rain

Little_Rain Monkey

True though that may be, if you can try to see things from their perspective, maybe you'd be able to see past Ego?

(You in the general sense, not you, @HK_User, specifically.)

I'm not sure how to get my point across here. It's something along the lines of not particularly disagreeing with the moderators, just that the gist of what the poster intended should be left, for the purposes of furthering the issue towards its eventual resolution. And for forum cohesiveness, it gets a little confusing to only get what others have quoted (usually not the whole story) for the context of what is going on.

I agree with you, @chelloveck, the mods do the best they can with the tools and rules provided. I just think there is always room for improvement.

chelloveck likes this.
  19. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

There absolutely is always room for improvement!! We are but human and make mistakes as much as any other member. Ultimately we try to do what is best for the forum and for the membership at large.

When there are issues, questions or complaints... taking the conversation to a PM is the best method to ensure clear communication between the parties of concern. Throwing grenades at one another in a thread is not beneficial to anybody, and robs other folks of their ability to learn and share along the lines of the thread topic. :)

Brokor and chelloveck like this.
  20. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

As Mods/Admins, we are in the position of having to evaluate questionable material. If we deem something as a violation of the CoC, we have procedures for handling that. The most troublesome ones are those that skate so close to the edge that the water is seeping through the ice. If we let those continue without intervention, we know from experience that the ice floe will break apart and cause a great deal of damage as it courses along. When editing is absolutely necessary to maintain decorum, we try our darndest to do it in such a way that the continuity of the thread is not ruined. When the combatants fail to take the advice and warning offered, sometimes the only thing we can do is lock a thread.

We routinely edit offensive language because we want this to be a family friendly site. Discussion is healthy and the purpose of any public forum but literary food fights are disruptive and end up discouraging dialog. We always hope that our members can disagree without being in attack mode. Our rules are few but reasonable and clear.

When I am tempted to post a response that is confrontational to another member, I remind myself that I am but a guest in another's home and do my best to act that way.

Dont, Yard Dart, Brokor and 1 other person like this.
  1. AgentPickle
  2. CaptainCalamity
  3. DurdenJames
  4. saki monkey
  5. old_code
  6. OlSarge
  7. TheRightToBearArms
  8. AR15gunbuilder
    New one from west Florida
    Thread by: AR15gunbuilder, Sep 28, 2020, 19 replies, in forum: New Member Introductions
  9. Bunker Bob
  10. Modus Operandi
  11. Northern california
  12. Murfylang
  13. Waydah
  14. Kruel J
  15. johnwintergardener
  16. JazzeeJ
  17. Kavode
  18. ArtVandelay
  19. MrBadExample
  20. Wildbilly