Yet another AV checker

Discussion in 'Technical' started by melbo, Oct 1, 2005.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I've been using the pay version of AVG for a year, up for renewal this month. Works better than Norton or MacAfee ever did. No, it doesn't catch everything, but it catches a lot of stuff that the others miss. Recommended.

3. melbo

You using the version with the Firewall? I'm giving the AV only a trial as my ZA is up soon and the NAVs on the other systems are up as well.

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yup, it has the firewall, but I don't use it. Slows things down a lot. Your basic firewall prevents outgoing stuff that you don't want to go out, a defense against data miners and hijackers from transmitting stuff from your hard drive. If the crap is sacked on the way in, there won't be any outgoing. So says me, and me only. I also use the pay version of AdAware SE, free Spyware Begone, free Spybot, and free Hijack This. Nope, they don't catch everything, but nothing does. Also keep the updates from Microsoft current.

5. melbo

thanks. I've had to turn off the Ad Blocking from AdAware(Pay) for the sme reasons. It's too sensitie. I guess that means that it works but.. I also run all the other free above too.

Good advice to all to use ghrits above list. I do. It's a PITA at times but it's the orld we live in. About time for me to go back out and see if a Linux version has evolved enough to recognize my hardware.

I was really looking at Puppy-live a few months backbut just couldn't get the wifi going

I'll ceck it out again

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7