Yooper Assault Rifle

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by chelloveck, Jan 4, 2014.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I posted a few images of a "Yooper Assault Musket" in the motivational posters thread...I referred to it as a "Yooper Assault Rifle...but judging from the pictures it seems to be a smooth bore, muzzle loading black powder shotgun or musket. I suggest this, based on hammer design in relation to the percussion cap method of igniting the powder charge. Even so...it has potential as a means of DIY armament for putting food in the pot, or putting two legged varmints in the ground in a TEOWAWKI scenario.

It is an interesting design concept that has potential for some entrepreneurial post apocalyptic cottage industry gun maker.

post-30-57950-YAR1.

post-30-58049-YAR2.

post-30-58102-YAR8.

post-30-58202-YAR6.

Go to: iB::Topic::Yooper assault rifle for further images and commentary.

tulianr and Georgia_Boy like this.
  2. Snake_Doctor

Snake_Doctor Call me Snake...

With all due respect I don't think I would fire that device. It reminds me of a contraption called a "Dane Gun" in an old book called Brannigans Leopard. That gun failed to fire then it blew up when the guide tried to fire it again, as I remember. But it was nice to learn about, and the photos are nice and clear. Thanks for sharing.

3. Thats nuts! I can't say that I would want to fire it either, what caliber ?

4. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Guys, depending entirely upon the construction of that barrel, it appears to be nothing more than a miniature cannon. it appears to have a spot for a percussion nipple, to ignite the charge, just like old flintlock cannon onboard ships. and as long as the furniture is strong enough for the recoil, and that barrel for the charge, I see no reason for your concerns. If I had to make a weapon in a hurry, or for a booby-trap, this would suffice.

chelloveck likes this.
  5. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

From the look of the charred wood on the "Hammer" at the base of the "Firing Pin" it looks as though this muzzle loader has been fired a few times already. After shooting cap and ball, I don't see why it would be any more unsafe than black powder firearms already are.

I would shoot it. Actually, I think it is quite a nice design for a disposable weapon.

I wonder if the second barrel is quicker to install than a follow up shot by reloading cap, powder, and ball in the first barrel.

chelloveck and kellory like this.
  6. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Can't see this anymore dangerous than the zip gun designs of 50 years ago. Better than a lot of them. A last chance weapon of scrounged parts could save a life. Yeah, I'd try it out once.

chelloveck and kellory like this.
  7. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I would be prepared to use a yooper gat: with the provisos that:

1. I sourced the materials myself,

2. I made it myself,

3. I test fired it twice, by securing the weapon in a vice, and pulling the trigger with a long piece of para-cord from behind cover.

4. I was satisfied, from the evidence of the test firings, that the gun would most likely withstand further firings.

5. I would limit the usage of the gun for absolutely necessary purposes, to keep me alive, rather than sh!ts and giggles plinking to impress others with my powers as a master of gun smithing improvisation.

unobrownsfan, oldawg and kellory like this.
  8. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

all of the above.

oldawg likes this.
  9. jcms

jcms Monkey

looks safer than a Hi Point besides black powder is not as high pressure and metals today are much better

that being said a schedule 80 pipe in the appropriate bore size "no welded seams"and
    a steel plug not a cast iron one.
    I would go with seamless stainless steel pipe. paper or other ways to patch the ball or minnie to
    the bore I.D. and it is probably safer than cheap mass produced firearms.
    this is a smooth bore so round ball or a rifled hollow based minne' ball to catch the wind
    or even a nylon / rifled plastic base like a shotgun slug.

considering that steel in the early last century was not as specific or as strong as specialized
    metals of today I would consider them safer than European made black powder arms I fired in
    the early 1960's

Muzzleloading Pressure, Recoil, and Velocity

chelloveck likes this.
  10. Snake_Doctor

I'm not sure what caliber the Dane guns were. The author mentioned they were made from the tube in the steering column from junked cars. and that junkyards were forced by the government to remove them from cars to prevent their use as firearms. Before I would use a Yooper I would simply take a weapon from the enemy. Fortunately I do not forsee the need to do this. I have my own weapons and I have no intentions of parting with them or joining any group. Just lay low and quiet and hope I draw no attention from the unfriendlies.

11. August West

August West Monkey

One of the cool things about black powder is it is easy enough to proof test if you have doubts, double or triple charge an old tire and a piece string, easy peasy. :D

12. Snake_Doctor

LOL.I have several BP arms, not a big fan of them. Or plastic guns like the glock. I like solid steel and modern metallic ammo. If I have to go primitive I'll just use a bow.

13. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

There is NOTHING like a Six Shooter BP Revolver for SHTF Backup Federal Non-Weapon. I can hit the same targets, at the same distances, with my Ruger Old Army Stainless .44 Cal, as I can with my very ancient Belgian Browning HiPower 9mm. The only real difference being, the Revolver only has Six shots, and takes a while to reload, where the HiPower, gets 13 shots, and can be reloaded with a Magazine swap.

chelloveck likes this.
  14. Snake_Doctor

This is true. But you forgot to mention that they're messy to clean and that they are prone to failure in wet weather. Theres a reason they don't issue cap n' ball anymore.I also think that modern weapons fire further and hit harder. So for me it's metallic. However I do have a selection of BP in a safe somewhere. They were fun to play with, even hunted a deer with one. Just my humble opinion.

15. August West

August West Monkey

I almost shoot nothing but black, shotgun, rifle and pistol. Modern firearms have definite advantages but my old front stuffers have a few too. :D

16. Snake_Doctor

Such as blinding smoke, extended time messing with caps, loose powder, wonder wads or messy lube, bullet starters and ramrods? That's fine if you have the time and inclination, I personally burned out on BP quickly. And I never dressed up like a mountain man. I realize that there are many people who like the BP and traditions which come with it. And I wish you all well with them. It simply isn't for me. I like the convienance of fast reloading, pin point accuracy and dependability of modern arms.

August West likes this.
  17. August West

August West Monkey

Well I wouldn't exactly call those advantages. :D

I was thinking more the ability to hand tailor each load in the field, amount of ammo that can be stored/carried, the lack of federal regulation, easy break down and transportation, the lack of stigma associated with them and the list goes on. I have never dressed up like a mountain man either but sure have ate a ton of fine meals supplied by black. Had to throw in a pic of the late great Rusty dog, one of the best, and my little 20 bore as well. :D

Picture686_zps1302f0ab.

18. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I look at BP Weapons as my SHTF backups, in that I can make my own Powder, Primers, and projectiles and have in the past. I realize that not many regular folks have these capabilities, but I do, and that gives me a more than significant reason to use my BP Weapons as my Ultimate Backups. Also, where I live they are NOT considered FireArms by either My State, or the Feds, and therefor are totally unRegulated by both. To them these are just Hunks of Metal and Wood stuck together. .....

chelloveck and August West like this.
  19. Snake_Doctor

I can tailor at my loading bench. And have custom loads for every gun I own. They aren't regulated NOW. There was a time you could buy Tommy guns from Sears and sound suppressors through your local hardware store. Something to remember. Think of the series Revolution and it's gun control. I would have no problems being restricted to bows and swords in public, as few people can handle a long blade well. Nice lookin dog. You bark them squirrels? I never could manage that with a front stuffer.

20. Snake_Doctor

They are declared non guns where I live also. But get caught carrying one concealed or use one and suddenly you've broken every fireare law in history.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7