Yooper Assault Rifle

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by chelloveck, Jan 4, 2014.

1. August West

August West Monkey

Yeah I can tailor loads at the bench as well, that is why I said "in the field". LOL

Gun in the pic is a 20 bore side by side shotgun, squirrels were killed with no 6 shot. I have a .36 rifle that has also killed it's share as well. Rusty was one of a kind, had to put him down a little over a year ago, still choke up about it. Anything COULD be regulated but as of right now I can still order guns, powder and caps through the mail with no paperwork. I order Goex 5 lbs at a time, that is a lot of shooting.

2. Snake_Doctor

Snake_Doctor Call me Snake...

I'm sorry about your dog. A good dog is hard to find. I recently had acat I raisedfrom a feral kitten stolen from my drive way. My old boss, who taught me how to hand load, always said "They can't take the guns away, so they'll make it to expensive to shoot 'em." Kinda like they're trying to do with tobacco.

August West likes this.
  3. August West

August West Monkey

Animals can sure get into your heart, sorry about the cat.

Btw I may be crazy but I ain't stupid, my muzzleloaders are strictly grub getters, if it comes to a fight I'll be reaching for something else.

4. Snake_Doctor

Thanks. As will I. And if necessary the enemy always seem to have plenty. So have you gotten anew dog yet?

5. August West

August West Monkey

This is Jackson, he is letting you know that there is a squirrel in the sink, and he is a 1/4 Rusty so the blood lives on. :D :D The dog jumping on Jackie is my sons biscuit eatin mutt that is not good for much of nothing, but my son loves him so that is all that matters. LOL

th_100_0016_zps3f05d3e4.

6. Snake_Doctor

Cool. Congrads on the dog and keeping the bloodline alive. You know the easy way to skin a squirell?

7. August West

August West Monkey

Easiest way I know is to cut at the base of the tail through the bone, skin back a little flap then step on the flap and peel him like a banana. :D

8. Snake_Doctor

pretty close to what I was taught. Cut a slit over the lower back , large enough to work two fingers under each side and peel. Works well on bunnies too.

August West likes this.
  9. August West

August West Monkey

10. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I got a chuckle out of the comments, since I have built one of these things. (That'll teach him to ask for a shotgun for Christmas without being more specific.) It's a 28ga smoothbore, and actually functions quite well. It's most fun to shoot with a .45 auto steel case as a bullet. They're a nice snug fit in the 28ga shot cup. They cut nice round holes.

I followed Fuzzbean's original design (adding a safety opposite the trigger) and the breech plug is double cross pinned. Tube is high pressure seamless tubing. I did a triple proof (three times maximum load of powder and shot) and measured the diameter of the barrel before and after with zero change.

Strangest thing about this design, besides it's odd looks, is the field stripping process. After removing the percussion nipple and loosening the barrel (hose) clamp, you clamp the barrel in a bench vise, put one foot against the vise and pull the barrel out of the stock. It's a breeze to clean.
    I'm thinking the next one I build may be out of hardwood with fancy joint work.

HD

oldawg and kellory like this.
  11. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

What is a "yooper"?
    jim

12. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

A resident of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. (UP)

13. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Slightly derogatory term for someone who lives in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Said with a slight Miiiinesooda accent.

14. ghrit

It ain't derogatory if you live(d) there, it's a matter of pride.

VisuTrac likes this.
  15. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Yep, in da mitten, we are called lovingly by da yoopers ... Trolls because we live below the bridge. I prefer to think that's everyone below the Houghton-Hancock bridge and not jus da Big Mac. Da true Yoopers live on an island nort ov dat.

16. ghrit

Dat wood inclood Boston Loc, yeddy?

17. VisuTrac

Ya, boston location is fine. It's up da road from da quincy mine. It's in da Yoop.

18. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

*head shake*

19. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Just try to imagine a "Yooper Hero"? ;)

chelloveck likes this.
  20. VisuTrac

You mean like Heikki Lunta?

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7