You can't do that!"

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by hot diggity, Jun 10, 2018.

1. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Nope. 4 cycle gas engine with four spark plugs.

That's all the hints you get. :)

2. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I did the same thing with an old Ford 312, Removed 1/2 the plug wires,cranked it up!

3. hot diggity

But can you do it Without the distributor cap and rotor?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. hot diggity

KIMG1738. "You Can't run kerosene in that lantern!" Dual fuel is gasoline or Coleman fuel. :)

Hmmmm? Maybe I need to relabel this one as Multi-fuel. It runs on gas, Coleman fuel, mineral spirits, brake clean and kerosene (dyed and undyed), and Tiki lamp oil/Coleman fuel or kerosene mix.

It required swapping the generator internals, and adding a preheat cup.
    _20170810_222250.JPG I've been told that "You can't do that! It has plastic parts."

After multiple tanks of fuel and long nights of run time I'd say that it can be done, provided the heat shield is in place.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Oh no, Never tried....

6. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I was driving my Dad's 1976 Ford E-150 van one night and came upon a guy with a dead battery. We didn't have jumper cables, but he suggested swapping my battery to his truck to start it, with my van still running. It worked. Got his truck started, put the battery back in my van, and he was able to drive home with no battery. Weird but it worked!

Zimmy and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. hot diggity

If you'd been under fire you could just've inverted the battery and bumped it post to post (correct polarity) to jump start.

Being shot at seems to stimulate creative problem-solving skills.

Gator 45/70 and ghrit like this.
  8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Zip guns are against the law, so I'll never tell how to make one with copper tubing a block of wood a nail and rubberband. That would be illegal.
    That is a very elegant solution if both battery terminals are the same distance apart and both batts are sealed. (As in a pair of HUMVs --)

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. Seawolf1090

I wouldn't risk inverting a lead acid battery. The repercussions would be painful.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. hot diggity

Painful....like Incoming artillery?

Priorities. :)

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. hot diggity

_20180614_140324.JPG I like batteries, but some are hard to find. I needed AAAA, but only had the standard grocery store sizes available. I got a 9v for a smoke detector. 6 x1.5v=9v. :)

You can do this. (With most brands)
    They are slightly shorter, and require the spring in a pen light to be stretched a bit.

Motomom34, Ganado and Gator 45/70 like this.
  12. hot diggity

Okay, nobody is guessing the car that can drive around without all the plug wires, distributor cap and rotor.

Here's a picture hint.

s-l300.

Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. Seawolf1090

No arty fire here in South Tallahassee, Fl.

Gator 45/70 and hot diggity like this.
  14. hot diggity

You can't seal a tire bead with expanding foam sealer. At least this guy couldn't. The chrome was peeling off the inside of the rim and it was leaking everywhere. Was good for laughs though. 031.

15. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I have a Deluxe Mexican Battery set somewhere. You can upsize anything from AAA to D size with various adapters.

3cyl, hot diggity and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. hot diggity

In a long-term disaster situation it might be necessary to deliver aimed rifle fire in the dark. So you just make your own luminous night sights... right?

"But, but, but, you can't do that."

You can't order tritium vials or luminous paint online, because the power is off... everywhere.

You may have had the best night sights, or NVGs and lost them, or you may just need to make more for your team.

You can do it, and the luminous material is available in every car trunk since 2001. Go ahead, have a look... I'll wait. :)

KDRJ20OX0wjJWeAzG-0Z0eyBGq7GndrSzWnt6zD9IDM.

Motomom34 likes this.
  17. hot diggity

A little imagination, and/or knowledge of military rifle luminous sights helps, but whipping up a workable set with a pocket knife and some glue is easy. (There is salvageable sticky stuff in nearly every cars interior if you have no glue.)

My favorite arrangement is a round disc on the front sight post and two horizontal lines even with the top of the rear sight, and a small vertical line at the center bottom of the sight notch. Slices of luminous material or a blackened surface with only exposed lines both work.

If you have a leather punch, or other hollow punch you can cut small discs that you stick on the sights. It doesn't have to be pretty. It just has to stay put and only be visible from the shooters end of the firearm. If your rifles open sights are already adjusted you can easily co-witness the night sights without firing a shot. In full darkness with your vision adjusted to low light it doesn't take much illumination to be visible on the sights. The trunk escape handle material I used is considerably brighter than 50 year old surplus tritium sights.

I shot an SKS with fabricated night sights like this many moons ago and my night groups at 50 yards were nearly as good as in daylight.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    Zimmy and Motomom34 like this.
  18. hot diggity

This is not a zip gun. This is a test fire rig for proof testing inline muzzle loader barrels. Or the most basic screen door inline. In this case, another AR50ML barrel, this one is a 36" bull barrel, that looked really silly with an 8" hand guard, but I figured it could always be shortened and re-contoured later. Proof test rig.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    ghrit likes this.
  19. hot diggity

"You can't store gasoline for over a year. It'll go bad."

The longest stored gasoline that I have previously tested was 42 months old and had been treated with BG CF-5. My car actually showed an increase in MPG after I added this fuel. BG says that their CF-5 will stabilize gasoline "indefinitely."

We shall see. I found 40 gallons under some stuff in the barn that has to be older than four years. I will get some Father's Day help to move the junk in front of it and see if it has any pop left. Since this is older than anything I'd tested before I will decant it through a Coleman #1 filter funnel and after a sniff test will see if the lawn mower will run on it. I will take samples of this gas and some that's older that was stabilized with large doses of Stabil.

BG is interested in testing the condition of this well aged gasoline.

Wish me luck!

Gator 45/70 and oldawg like this.
  20. Seawolf1090

Never heard of BG. I have used gasoline two years old treated each six months with Stabil Marine.
    Pri G is supposed to be very good too. But I can't find it locally.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  1. T. Riley
  2. 3M-TA3
  3. duane
  4. 3M-TA3
  5. hot diggity
  6. Matei
  7. OldDude49
  8. oil pan 4
  9. Oddcaliber
  10. Yard Dart
  11. Yard Dart