You gotta bug out - do you stop to change clothes or gear

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by robfindlay, Sep 28, 2008.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

The adage that "Cotton Kills", is a truism that needs to be examined in context.....in cold wet environments, cotton, when wet, and subject to wind chill, will often leave a person vulnerable to hypothermia.....in a hot dry climate, cotton is a good option as it absorbs water from perspiration and evaporation helps to cool the body.

For an explanation as to why and how cotton may contribute to hypothermia...check out the following link.

http://indefinitelywild.gizmodo.com/why-cotton-kills-a-technical-explanation-1688286083

oh, and by the way....Cotton is a killer... ;)

upload_2016-9-5_18-39-45.
    Female Serial Killer Index: Female Serial Killers: An Image Collection

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    GrayGhost, Ura-Ki and Motomom34 like this.
  2. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

OK so I'm dumping my cotton pants , at least good for making char cloth.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Years ago, I discovered a supply of mid 50's German Army Wool winter weight field pants. I got 10 pairs for 10 bucks apiece. You can still find them, but the price has gone up. I also got a few of the wool field jackets as well. another thing is really good quality long johns in a winter weight or even better, arctic weight. can be used on it's own in a pinch, but way better with a over layer of water proof pants and parka length jacket! Finally, it might take some digging, but from time to time you can find U.S.C.G. Boat Suits and jackets,, the stuff the flight crews usually wear. yes, its bright red, but this stuff is amazingly tough and warm even when wet!

arleigh and chelloveck like this.
  4. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

I want to be the least attractive target around, rags for clothes, a bottle old urine liberally poured on the clothes and do my best to look like the person with nothing worth looting. That is if I get caught away from home. At home there is no bugout there is denial of access, obstacles that force invaders to expose themselves for clean kills. Multifloral roses are your friend :) If you know it is coming set spike boards (1x wood with lots of 3 1/2 inch nails sticking through, soak it in rancid feces and urine if they escape the infection will keep them from returning. Thin wire across trails at neck level to take out atv users. Several strategic perches with clear shots to the obstacles. Rig door knobs on a building to open to get in but wont open to get out, with a trip to mix bleach and lime away to chlorine gas those inside. Spike boards on the edges of logs that invaders might use for cover, spike play hell on knees and stomaches. Keep a easily accessible and obvious cache of food that is poisoned and let them jack it. Good perimeter alarms that let you know someone is coming, seismic sensors, laser alarms, heck fishing line across paths with tin cans that rattle in the house. Use seemingly natural features to force invaders where you want them. Like stepping on spike boards. If I have to bug out I will be bugging out of the world of the living to the spirit world. Town and City folks have the deck stacked against them no matter how you figure it. The goal is for you and your family to survive and to protect the things you need to do so. The best option is to always avoid confrontation if at all possible and fight without mercy when it is unavoidable.

Yard Dart and chelloveck like this.
  5. avagdu

avagdu Monkey++

I wear appropriate boots and synthetic pants the majority of the time I'm outside my home. I carry rain jackets or insulated clothing depending on the season. This could keep me going several days if I had to bug out immediately. If I had time to grab other clothes I would change to a long sleeve synthetic shirt. If I expected to be living outside weeks at a time I would probably grab my surplus wool field shirt and pants. If I was isolated and sedentary in the height of winter my USMC Happy Suit would also be appropriate.

Yard Dart likes this.
  6. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I don't like to wear synthetics. Don;t see why everyone loves them so much.

Thunder5Ranch likes this.
  7. avagdu

avagdu Monkey++

@AxesAreBetter Because I can't afford more merino wool :ROFLMAO:

I switched to synthetic pants a long, long time ago because they are more water resistant, fade resistant, lighter, quick drying and more comfortable than denim or cotton blends.

But sure, if I could pay 30-50% more for a lot of the same clothing (shirts, underwear) made of merino I would.

8. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

THe problem with merino, IMO, is that it does not insulate once it's wet.

1. ED GEiN
  2. Swedish woman
  3. Swedish woman
  4. Tully Mars
  5. Motomom34
  6. GOG
  7. Meat
  8. DarkLight
  9. Hanzo
  10. HK_User
  11. Yard Dart
  12. Yard Dart