You won a lottery how would you spend it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quigley_Sharps, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Let’s say you just won 65 million in a lottery (Hypothetically of course), you hired an attorney to except it for you to keep it confidential from others.
    How would you use it? How would your life change?

2. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Aha! A fun question!
    Probably keep working in salvage until I go broke again.[booze]

3. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I'm not tellin'...

4. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

1. Arrange for confidential acceptance
    2. Money would be moved out the the US to Switzerland/Lichtenstein
    3. Very little of the money would be held in US currency
    4. Once the financial side was moved, I would figure the rest out.

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

"Land, lots of land
    Under starry skies above -
    Don't fence me in."

After a serious meeting with an accountant and lawyer.

6. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

"Island ..I see you in the moonlight
    Silhouettes of ships in the night ,
    Just make me want that much more "

And yes to the meeting...

And what Clyde said....

7. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

My good fortune is the good fortune of my friends.

I would sponsor the continued hosting of the Survival Monkey, and I would have a big drawing for survival gear, guns, etc. for all members.... worth about 50 grand.

I would also hire one or two of my most trusted friends as employees so they could be full time assistants for me (hunting, fishing, shooting, travelling).

I'd take care of my family, and see that my nephew had what he needs in the way of health and education. And see that my Mother gets to relax for the remainder of her retirement.

I'd put some back so that when I run into good people that are truly in need of a little boost, I could help them.

Some would go to the Ron Paul campaign.

I would build my dream home/teotwawki bunker...... with anti-zombie tower :)
    .... and it would have an 80's classic videogame and pinball arcade in the basement.

I would see some good doctors and finally get the healthcare I need.

I would spend the rest of my days enjoying life with my family and friends. I would travel extensively, learn about history where it happened, and experience life from every possible viewpoint.

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Well said and admirable. But all that comes AFTER the land in my mind. Once situated, the rest can be handled readily. (I'm a renter, so you can imagine how important my own plot has become over the years.) [coffee2]

9. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

First, I would secure my grandchildren's educations then I would loan them each $1000 to learn to invest and I would take the time to teach them how money can be used to make money. They would be required to repay this money from their first $1000 profit. There would be no further loans until this was repaid. I would take them on many trips so their view of the world would be from first hand knowledge and their horizons would be wider than simply what they see on TV. I would make sure my daughter always had a reliable vehicle to drive. Since she has always been hard working, I would make sure she had money sufficient to her needs but with the provision that the children were not given more money and "things" than they now receive. I would anonymously fund a local food pantry. I'd buy a new tractor. I'd hire someone to do my shopping so I never had to set foot in a store again.

I'm sure there would be other things I'd do but those are just the first to rise to the surface.

10. Seacowboys

I would quit my job, leave my wife, buy a cat, dis-own my friends, become a Republican and join the BATFE.

11. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

sounds more like a liberal

12. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

"Boss its da plaaaaaane..".
    Welcome to "survival monkey island"

13. Seacowboys

OK, I put two smart-ass answers to appease my warped sense of humor but I would like to answer that question seriously. I don't want it.
    I have lived a most fortunate life and have everything that I need to make me happy. I am doing precisely what I want with my life and enjoy the challenge of getting it done. I have always had the great fortune of being surrounded by exceptional people and many of them have become great friends. I quit a successful career as a musician because I did not like the person that I was becoming. I am loved by my darling wife and I am valued by my friends and associates for what ever it is that they see in me and I would not want to have this changed. That much money would change me or at least it would change the person that I am and know into an unknown. I also would not want to give it away and deny someone the opportunity of making their own life. I do not have a high regard for money; I view it as an evil necessity in our world today and I earn enough of it at my job to provide me with the things that I enjoy. It may seem a bit strange, but I really like myself and I am a perpetual optimist. I travel all over the world and meet new people each day and get to become a part of their lives rather than having to kill them; I like this. I would not change lives with any man. I do not envy any living man. I don't play the lottery.

14. BigO01

BigO01 Monkey+++ Founding Member

Well 65 Mil isn't the amount to get the dream done I have always told friends I have .

I always hope to hit one in the 240+ mil range ,and take it over the 30 years , after taxes it would be a spendable 4 million a year .

Like ghirt I am a renter so a nice yet not insane house is 1st , with enough land that I can grow a decent garden and have land to hunt deer on and get into ATV riding .

It would take a couple of years of saving from there and I would build a business encompassing my loves in life Bowling , guns and archery .

I would make it a state of the art bowling center complete with restaurant , arcade etc. etc . in a mini mall setting with a full service gun/archery shop that includes indoor ranges and if possible even a 100 yard rifle range .

I would hire friends who knew the bowling business and as I have told them , if they run it right and make money they will have true profit sharing with my cut being minimal .

As to the gun and archery shops I would prob hang a Help Wanted banner on sites like this and see if any of you needed a good paying job doing something you love .

The only reasons I would consider firing anyone would be theft , drug use , repeatedly not bothering to show up for work , and being a complete Ahole to customers or completely useless as a worker .

The job would have more perks than Cabelas workers dream of . Like a trip to hunt in Africa as a quarterly bonus . a new truck or even a house to live in that I would rent to an employee for $1 a month .

My eventual goal would be to build homes on 3/4 of an outer perimeter with a retreat/survival center in the middle connected by underground tunnels that would house up to 50-100 families , with a thousand acres around the sides and back of the property , in the event the whole SHTF comes true .

The whole thing to be completely self sufficient with wind mill generated electric .

The plan is to find people who want to live in a survival community and not be labeled a cult , it would be done by finding people who would want to work , or perhaps start their own business on the outskirts of the community , business that would employee the people and fund the community by bringing customers from surrounding towns or cities .

Expand to a grocery store and perhaps a Theater , an automotive repair shop , and try to attract a group of medical professionals to run a medium sized hospital .

See I haven't given this any thought at all . [lolol]

15. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

The first thing I would do would be to pay off every dime I owe includeing to be sure to pay off loans from family with substantial intrest as a thanks for the help. Next would be to find the perfect plot of land (500-1000 acres, remote, all weather stream, ponds, timber, etc) and buy it then build a modest sized house on it set up just the way I want and set the whole place up to be totaly self supporting for lights, water, food, etc. Expand the toy collection and supplies somewhat.

Then I would set up a 'charity' that would help people with a hand up but not the handouts, help folks for instance who are out of work due to injury and such untill they can heal up, help folks to get to work and be able to help themselves...basicly an organization that would teach the people to fish rather than giving them a fish and if needed maybe even help them get a net.

One everything was set up I would probably take a vacation to travel for a few months and turn a majority of the remaining money into PMs and investments in things that are always in demand like say cattle (dont care how hard times are, folks want to eat).

Beyond a few more toys and supplies, a trip to travel the country, and no longer needing to work for others though I would basicly be simply going further along the same lines of the way I already choose to live and am already working toward. Make my own electricity, grow my own food, pump my own water and basicly take care of me and mine while doing what I can to make the world a little better off for my haveing been in it.

16. MbRodge

MbRodge Monkey+++

Fun topic! First off I would have to petition the AF to let me stay in. If you win or make too much money the military calls it a conflict of interests and kicks you out. I love what I do and would want to stay in. Once that was taken care of one way or the other, I would pay off all of my debt, and the debt of my family. Then I'd find the most remote piece of land I could with a few ponds, a river, woodland and pasture. I'd build an underground overpressurized house that could survive anything up to a direct nuclear strike. I'd put in solar, wind, and microhydro power to cover everything. Plant the perimeter of the property with blackberries and set up my own still. Then I'd invest and spend my remaining years in the AF stocking in supplies.

17. pgrass101

pgrass101 Monkey+++

I Like Monkeymans answer,

I would buy land, build a self-suffienct house/ farm raise most of my own food. Give to charities that teach job skills, Have on heck of a fireing range and plenty of things to fire.

18. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

I'd spend at least some on a good detective to figure out HOW I won since I never buy a ticket......games for the math challenged.....ahahahahaaaa

19. sheen_estevez

sheen_estevez Monkey+++

Ah, they now have shows on TV that go around and interview people who have won large amounts of money, a good number of them have gone broke in a short time since winning. Don't know how to handle the money and blow it.

After all the meetings the lawyers & accountants I would say 1/2 or more would have to be put away for a rainy day. Of course my kids would have money but I think they will have to wait until they are 45 or 50 to collect, don't want them to not know what hard work is. I would give my wife money like she gives me now for my spending money, about $50.00 a week.
    I'm with everyone else who said buy land and lots of it, then some land in another location or two and lots of it. Build my log cabin, off the grid, cuz now I can afford to be off the grid [booze]Then help out other family members and friends, I say help out, not a free ride but enough to make sure they have no worries.

20. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

Heck I win a lottery about once a week that I don't enter. Then they just notify me by e-mail. Now if I could just remmber to send them my bank account number then I'll be rolling in the big $$$. [lolol]

OGM

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7