Your 2015 Garden, what are you doing?

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by kckndrgn, Feb 2, 2015.

1. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

kckndgn. Since we're container growing the tomatoes, I just pick up some already started plants the 1st of March (we're in FL). Those friends have a new granddaughter (Kimber, lol. I don't know it's from the gun manufacturer but Dad's a marine and Mom's hunted since grade school sooo.). They might could use a little more help this spring than usual. With their attention being diverted. lol.

2. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Been thinking on this a lot lately. I plan on turning the garden in a couple weeks. As the time comes for each I'll put out taters, onions, radishes, tomatoes, lettuce, beans,corn and a few other things. At this point I plan on having herbs in pots and when I get the greenhouse up and running I'll transfer then to that. I'm hoping to grow some things that we use year round in there as well like green onions and tomatoes,ect. We'll see how that turns out later this spring.

3. Matteo10572

Matteo10572 Monkey+

I gave up on corn as it seems to suck all the life from my soil and then it takes a lot of time and amendments to recover fertility.

Has anyone else noticed this?

4. Tully Mars

Corn is hard on the ground. We, as in my wife's uncle and I rotate different crops in different areas every year. This is my 1st year to manage the garden as I've always been on the road until now. He's taking a year off from it other than to supervise me as this is my 1st time gardening on my own in this AO. All my experience before hand has been either in the PNW or in the Rockies @ 9,300'.

Motomom34 likes this.
  5. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

I have started on getting things ready for this year's growing season. Finally found the handtruck(it was hiding from me) to moved the raised beds, moved the chocolate mint one, gonna transplant it into a planter tomorrow. Started cleaning the planters today too.

Tully Mars likes this.
  6. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Put that chocolate mint in a pot.... that stuff is crazy invasive.... it took over an entire planter box of mine.... I dug it up and it kept on fighting.

Motomom34 likes this.
  7. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

That's what will be happening tomorrow, it will be going in a planter pot. Rectangular one that will provide enough goodness for me. Mom don't like mint(or bacon) so this is all mine!

Yard Dart and Tully Mars like this.
  8. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

All the herbs will be potted today hopefully as well. Marjoram and french tarragon are already in pots, that just leaves the spearmint, oregano, sage, and thyme.

Motomom34 and Yard Dart like this.
  9. Matteo10572

Matteo10572 Monkey+

Mint invaded my lawn from the beds. Now when I mow it smells minty fresh.. Heheh

Jeff Brackett likes this.
  10. smithcp2002

smithcp2002 Monkey+++

New place has three raised beds, this is new to me. Soon as snow melts the new composter goes into use. Saved old windows and door from remodel to set up as hot house tops for the beds. Berry and trees on order.

11. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

It's mainly nitrogen that you have to replace...spread some manure at the end of the season and let the winter push it down into the soil...good to go. You can also grow climbing beans in with the corn and use them to pull nitrogen out of the air and put it back into the soil...

Three Sisters (agriculture) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The three crops benefit from each other. The maize provides a structure for the beans to climb, eliminating the need for poles. The beans provide the nitrogen to the soil that the other plants utilize, and the squash spreads along the ground, blocking the sunlight, helping prevent establishment of weeds. "

Ganado and Jeff Brackett like this.
  12. Tully Mars

Picture 044. Picture 043.
    This is the potato garden. 9 rows, 180 feet long. Planted 50lbs of red and 50lbs of white. We just put out 1/2 of a dump truck load of pot ash as well as fertilizer and turned it under. Just set the discs to mound up the hills and we're done. This plot is part of a "co-op" with several families in our area. the other families each have picked a crop that they will grow, tomatoes, beans, peas,ect. in addition to their own garden. It is hoped by doing this that each of us will be able to concentrate on growing different things that we'd like to try in our personal gardens knowing that we'll have plenty of the "staples" covered by the co-op. We'll see how it turns out.

13. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

New for me this year is moringa
    http://www.m.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-1242/moringa/source-3

I got a few seeds and am seeing if I can grow them 1st. The plan is to use in front yard as a double row privacy hedge and not let them grow into a full tree. I saw some places that grew these in Africa like a 10 x 10 grid that served an entire community.

I'm always thinking about micro nutrients... How to get them on low food diets... If I get those handled then the macro takes care of itself.

The other one I want to try is Tully's fault =).. I really want to try kratom it will have to be an indoor plant in my area.... As soon as I figure out 1) if it's legal to have 2) what varieties I want

BTW Tully love love love the shared garden growing.... It's a nice strategy got rotation from year to year

Mindgrinder... Nice post on 3 sisters crop rotation. I grow alot of corn and beans together. Use corn stalk as the trellis... It's a pita to pick sometimes =)

Mindgrinder and Tully Mars like this.
  14. Tully Mars

Stoner..:lol:

Mindgrinder and Ganado like this.
  15. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Lol... IM intrigued... And it's all your fault! That's my story and I'm sticking too it!

Mindgrinder and Tully Mars like this.
  16. Mindgrinder

Moringa isn't gonna be thick enough to use as a privacy fence....though I'm thinkin' it would make the best chicken/pig feed imaginable. Stringy, leafy, when pruning just keep sticking every branch you cut into the ground 6 feet away and in no time you'd REALLY have a crazy crop.

17. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I can't find the place where they did a 10x10 patch and planted trees every 2" in 1 foot squares for a total 10' patch and treated it like a hedge rather than a tree... But this is similar

uploadfromtaptalk1429844707270.

Mindgrinder likes this.
  18. Mindgrinder

Ya ok maybe....looking forward to you hitting me with an "i told you so" in 5 months.

Ganado likes this.
  19. Mindgrinder

20. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

It's gonna take longer than that. I only started with 5 seeds... Have to learn how to grow it 1st.

1st rule of gardening... Plants never commit suicide but some times they grow slow.

Yard Dart and Mindgrinder like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7