Your 2015 Garden, what are you doing?

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by kckndrgn, Feb 2, 2015.

1. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

We got lucky this year and did not lose our apricots, so we have tons almost ready. The pie cherries are at their peak now. Sunflowers (manmoths) are doing well. But the heat is raising hell with everything else. Starting cool weather vegis now in pots and will transplant most of them middle of august. Around here the best growing season is February to may and then august to November.

Ganado, Motomom34 and ditch witch like this.
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Picked some strawberries last night. The rest of the garden is doing okay. I met a guy that told me to get a cloth type cover for my garden to filter the light. He said it works for our area.

I have a carrot that wintered over and I have just let it go. I am watching because it looks like it is ready to seed. I plan on collecting them and hopefully start a cycle of getting seeds from my plants rather then buying.

Ganado, kellory and Yard Dart like this.
  3. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

P1010023.JPG P1010023.JPG P1010024.JPG

P1010025.JPG

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Some crops are grown in what amounts to cheesecloth tents. Shade tobacco and hops come to mind right off the top. The cheesecloth reduces the direct sunlight and retains heat and humidity.

Motomom34 likes this.
  5. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

some grapes and berries

P1010030.JPG

P1010031.JPG

Ganado, Yard Dart and Motomom34 like this.
  6. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Im using the rolled landscape mats and love the control I have over the weeds around my garden plants. Here is my struggling mini orchard

P1010033.JPG

Ganado, Yard Dart and Motomom34 like this.
  7. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Our church garden is going great this year!! We added some additional growing area and a greenhouse this spring.

IMAG0370.
    IMAG0369.
    IMAG0371.
    IMAG0372.

8. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

So half my garden is now destroyed courtesy of our 100 pound Pit bulldozing through the fence and taking out everything that got between him and a chicken he wanted to eat. Zucchinis ripped out by the roots, sunflowers snapped in half, tomatoes shredded.

I have run out of swear words.

pearlselby and VisuTrac like this.
  9. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Ask @Tobit for spares. If I recall correctly, he has extras.,.;)

Yard Dart likes this.
  10. ditch witch

I have a freaking rage migraine now.

11. Yard Dart

BREATH DW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Then go shoot the PitBull, or on second thought, shoot his owner as well... Or if you do not fancy Jail Time sue the A$$ off the owner for the damage, and lost Garden Production for the season.... Judge Judy would give you the full Five Grand....

13. Yard Dart

Key word is "our" pit.... it is her destroyer of good that she has to contend with. I know in my house, I would get a bit of "oh well"... when it came to the family pet... vs a big hole in the ground to solve the issue.

Ganado likes this.
  14. ditch witch

Um... I'm the owner BT. I let him out to pee while we were eating dinner. Let him in twenty minutes later wondering why he looked so freaking pleased with himself, and muddy. Went outside to mass carnage. The fence was those big galvanized stock panels, cattle panels. Somehow he got a body part under the bottom edge and lifted, pulled one t-post half out of the ground just enough to get himself under. The ground is so wet the t-posts are loose. Our zucchinis, tomatoes, cukes, some butternut squash, they were all twined through it so he effectively ripped all of them out of the ground too. Then it was off to the races to get the half grown chick, which he did. I finally found the remains this morning mixed in with the shredded tomatoes.

We're running hot wire today. Not that cutesy "Fido Shock" either.

@Yard Dart pretty much same at our house, although this dog has had me eyeballing the gun cabinet more than once.

Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  15. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I am sorry to hear your dog is tearing things up. That is a lot of work to go to waste. My dogs are not allowed out without supervision as they like to wander. I have one who would at least try and kill a chicken if she was ever to get in the chicken pen. Our birds are also kept penned as we have Eagles, Hawks and Owls on the lake. Heck , a full grown eagle could take one of our dogs as they are smaller. We also have coyotes close so we just keep everyone contained. So far we have been lucky. I hope your fence works. Good luck.

pearlselby and Motomom34 like this.
  16. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Well at least you don't have a Neighbor, Banging on your Door, and Screaming in your Face....

pearlselby likes this.
  17. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Mysterious pet death sometimes is a good thing. So sorry all that work .....

ditch witch likes this.
  18. ditch witch

What gets me is we have pens within pens within pens. The chickens are in a yard, that is totally enclosed within another yard. That yard is enclosed within a larger yard. The dogs are on the outer perimeter with a 6 ft stockade fence around that and ordinarily they can't even see the chickens. However we've got some chicks now and they are still small enough to go through the fence around the chicken yard and into the garden yard. They've been scratching under the plants eating pill bugs so I hadn't minded them being in there. But I guess numbnuts saw them and lost his mind.

I may have salvaged two of the zucchini. They weren't completely ripped out of the ground so I packed the roots back in. They didn't wilt today so maybe they will be ok.

Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  19. ditch witch

In happier news my grapevines are loaded and the darker varieties are starting to turn color.
    grapes.

My unruly garden. Our weedeater is dead. I had been using guinea pigs down the rows for grass control until the dogs discovered how delicious they are....
    Those are butternut squash taking over the pallet fence.
    grapevines.
    They would dearly like to eat my garden. For now they must settle for grass and weeds. :D
    Hotots.

20. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Butternut squash and slow cooked Bunny. :)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7