Your 2017 Garden- what are you doing?

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by Motomom34, Apr 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@Bacawind look up 'landracing'

It's a method of wile gardening that helps weed out weak varieties for your area.

a landrace has extremely wide genetic diversity and the ONLY selection being done is by survival of the fittest. You don't fertilize, you don't water, you don't protect from pests. What lives stays in your landrace gene pool, what doesn't make it- bites the dust. This way, you get plants that are truly adapted to their environment. You even keep the weird, less tasty ones around because they may contain genes that help your crop survive a drought one unusual year or something similar.
    A landrace has MANY varieties and somewhat unpredictable outcome because of its diversity.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/orga...ng-promiscuously-pollinated-tomatoes-zbcz1401

I've been experimenting with this but in the desert you need water. I did throw some seeds in the wash behind my house last year but they keep getting eaten.

2. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Saw some squash bugs today, so I guess it's time to test out the organic bug killer I found, at Walmart. If that doesn't work, I might have to go nuclear on them!! :eek:

bugs.

3. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Did our daily once over with the wife to get all the squash bug eggs. Soapy water, wipe them off the leaf, drown the eggs in the water.

Kinda a pain but worth it. Those things will destroy your entire squash garden.

Motomom34, Bacawind and Wild Trapper like this.
  4. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Moving COW DUNG
    15 trips =60yard's of POO

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    Motomom34, Wild Trapper and Yard Dart like this.
  5. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

6. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Was outside yesterday morning (at about 4AM, right after I rolled out of bed, and before first coffee), watering my "crops". Just happened to look down, and look at what was looking right back at me!
    squash 06152017.
    Guess I'll have to go out and check the rest of the plants, to see if any of this one's brothers (sisters?) are ready for pickin', too! (y)

Looks like it's going to be stir fry for dinner, this weekend!! b::

7. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Radishes are up, as are the parsley and cilantro. Herbs transplanted to the tubs have recovered from shock, except the sage. Carrots are doing poorly but I will get some. Best performers are the chives which are growing profusely. :D

natshare and Wild Trapper like this.
  8. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Strawberry's 30 # , Pees were on , Raspberry's are next . Cherrys & apples , peach , pear's coming.
    Potatoes , corn/ maze (fodder for critters) tons will be this year .
    Sweat & a pool later after to cool off ! .

natshare, Wild Trapper and Dunerunner like this.
  9. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

As usual great plans, but lacking the follow through :(
    Second year at the new home. Last year I created a small garden using my father in laws rear-tine tiller. Did ok. Over the winter I picked up a 4' tiller for my Kubota, what a difference that made! More than doubled the size of the garden, but was it too much too fast?
    The garden started off great, then I had a construction project start up at the beginning of July which took most of my time, then a family vacation for a week. What a mess when I got back. Waist high weeds, tomato plants all over the place. OK, still time to salvage this.
    picked the good veggies out of the garden, the went into rehab mode. Trimmed the tomato plants up and got some cages around them. Used left over concrete mesh to create the cages, not pretty, but so much stronger and better than the cheap things from the store.
    Had the neighbors tell me that sweet peppers don't grow well in our area, challenge accepted. Growing some really good sweet peppers.
    So far I have canned 20 pints of tomato sauce (first time I've canned tomatoes from my garden in this quantity), also have 7 1/2 pints of jalapenos and 7 1/2 pints of candied jalapenos. I have also dehydrated cups of habanaro's, banana peppers and jalapeno's. These make for for some nice powders to spice up meals.
    Harvested sunflower seeds as well, and gave my hens several heads as a treat.
    Pickled cumbers and froze zuchinni and squash.

All in all, a few set backs but doing well this year.

1. Alanaana
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Avocado_tree

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Sep 16, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
    I love the end of summer.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Sep 16, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  4. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jun 10, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Smells heavenly
  7. Alanaana
    Avocadoes
  8. Alanaana
  9. Alanaana
    I think it's 20lbs!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 13, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  10. Alanaana
    Is coffee better than bananas?
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 13, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  11. Alanaana
  12. Alanaana
  13. Alanaana
    Sugarloaf White Pineapples are my favorite!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 11, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  14. Alanaana
  15. Alanaana
  16. Alanaana
    Media

Jungle Vibes

This is the driveway at the front of my property.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  17. Alanaana
  18. Dunerunner
  19. Dunerunner
  20. Dunerunner
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7