Your Favorite New Years Eve

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Minuteman, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

What was your favorite, or least favorite, New Years Eve, that you can remember.

I'll start. My favorite was New Years Eve 2004. I was in Cairo, Egypt and I watched the fireworks show over the pyramids on Giza Plateau. That was one I will remember to my dying day.

My least favorite would have to be 1979. I got married for the first time. Actually the night was pretty good. It just all went to hell afterwards.

There were a few prior to that that were pretty good, I think. It was the 70's after all. [boozingbuddies]

HAPPY NEW YEAR MONKEYS [beer]

2. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

1974. Cornwall, England...

I went and stayed the Summer and met a ton of local people...Stayed with a family that my Dad had served in WWII with....Their son and I became friends...

I went back at Christmas...Flew in to London and we drove to Cornwall...It's beautiful there...And it was absolutely the best New Years Eve I ever spent....It was a beautiful little village back then...and yes, we had Fish & Chips....We sang "Auld Lang Syne"..On New Years Day, the children came Caroling to the houses...There were some other traditions, that I can't remember....(It was the 70's... what can I say?) Something about the first person to enter the house after midnight...?? Acccckk..I can't remember...But it was soooo much fun!

We eat Pork, Greens, and Hoppin' John in the South on New Years.....(Greens for money, and Hoppin' John for Good Luck..) I do remember something about salt, and coal??? I could look it up...but I prefer my memories...

3. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

I can't remember the really good ones ;)

4. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

I have two memorable NYE:

1988: Brisbane, Australia: with my brother while we were both in college on a family trip. We went out drinking and having fun. Unfortunately, I got hammered an "fell asleep" at 11:50 pm...woops.

1989: Paris, France: On Champs-Elysées with college friends under the Arch de Triumph (French or German...I haven't figure it out based upon the pictures). Memorable because I almost go the shit kicked out of me by 13-16 muslim guys because I wouldn't let one of them kiss my then girlfriend, now wife. Dude comes up and sees I am with my girlfriend. He makes the kiss motion, I make the "no ****ing way motion" and he gets pissed. 3 minutes later he comes back with the "gang" and I send girlfriend and the other 7 girls and 1 guy I was with across the street. Got kicked, punched, landed a few and was told by a french guy that saw the whole thing that I was lucky I wasn't stabbed. 15 minutes later another muslim tried to kiss a one of the other girls...she pulled away and he hit her with a closed fist across the face and gave her a black eye and bloody nose. This evening was memorable because of the bad, not necessarily the good! Gave me a negative opinion of muslims. Period.

5. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Every New Year has been spectacular! I have never had a bad one. No matter how low the year has gotten, I always spend New Years Eve pondering unfinished business and being amazed at the the change and good or bad fortune that has passed through my proximity. I plan the coming year with optimism, regardless of present circumstance. I try to call my friends and wish them well and to remind them that just ahead, there lies the whole world and what we make of it. If times are good, I have fireworks and friends stop by. If times are not the best, I have friends drop by and suddenly everything appeals a bit better. Although I have plans on taking up recreational drinking one day, I seldom indulge for this holiday. Happy New Years, my friends!

6. Seacowboys

7. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Happy New Year, all y'all!

[​IMG]

8. sheen_estevez

sheen_estevez Monkey+++

I don't really get into New Year, would be just as happy going to be by 8pm but my family wants to keep me awake.

I usually bring in the New Zealand New Year, which is at 5am my time, I raise my coffee cup to the TV (because all the family is still sleeping) get dressed and go to work.

Happy New Year to all my you're '08 be a good one [beer][beer]

9. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I usually have pretty quiet New Years Eves but one that was memorable was in the late 1990's. Minneapolis, early supper at my favorite spot, the Black Forest, then a hike downtown to watch the fireworks. A bitter cold, clear night, good food and a good friend.

10. Seacowboys

This New Years Eve was exceptional. We had fireworks all evening and family had already began departing for home except for my Dad (he left this morning) and step-son (leaves this afternoon). We went to the range yesterday but it was too muddy to set for an serious target shooting so we just made a lot of noise with Ar15s and tannerite. I got rid of a bunch of old ammunition that needed shooting.
    George (golden retreiver) loves fireworks. She does a funny little dance every time one falls to the ground near her. I don't know what she is thinking but she does a dog variation of the hokey-pokey that is hilarious to watch. SHe also thought it was quite funny when I fell over backwards into the koi pond (accident). Even my broken thumb and ripped off nail couldn't dampen the good cheer.
    Today, we'll have black-eyed peas, greens, and hog-jowl for dinner (old Southern tradition) with money placed under our plates to insure good fortune in the coming year. I'll have to eat with my left hand. There are other problems associated with having a broken right thumb that I hadn't thought through, like snapping my jeans, especially with the few extra holiday pounds and zipping them up is a real treat (it just seems unatural to zip trousers with the left hand). I gave up trying to clean my weapons last night and just sprayed them good with cleaner-lube; they'll keep until I return from the Islands next time. Bug is catching a cold and feeling a little depressed because she may have to cancel her dear friend, Holly's visit next week. Holly is dying of cancer and cannot be exposed to an infectious conditions; it would kill her. This will probably be the last time Bug gets to spend time with her and she knows this. Holly will be missed. I remind my darling wife that life is a short and precious journey with no fixed terms and to enjoy and cherish every minute of it. My one resolution? Iwill not allow events that are beyond my control to dampen my love of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. God Bless you all.
    Seacowboys

11. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

Every New Year's Eve is a great one for me!

I am usually surrounded by dear friends and loved ones. We celebrate the year in review - good or bad - laugh at our mistakes and misfortunes and look forward to the chance to try and come up with a better outcome next time.

This year, we hosted the event (a last-minute change), which made it even better (I love to entertain)!! A long, wonderful night, full of laughter and love. The perfect way to ring in the New Year!

Dear southern friends;
    I hear of a meal that you're supposed to eat today, but know nothing of it. What is it that I'm supposed to cook today and how do I cook it?

12. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

I have seen several mentions of New Year Day traditions. So what's yours?

In my neck of the woods it was always Black Eyed Peas. BEP's and ham hocks and everyone had to eat some for good luck in the coming year. My brother detested BEP's but my Mom would force him to eat 3 every New Years Day.

I never heard of the money under the plate before. I like that one.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7