Your first computer/OS?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by wastelander, Mar 25, 2014.

1. wastelander

wastelander Bad English, bare with me

I've been "forced" to work in DOS all morning since my sons PC wouldn't boot from a nasty virus and it made me feel a bit nostalgic and knowing there are people of all ages here I was wondering if anyone had any memories from their first computer?

Mine was a C64 I still have somewhere, with a tape-deck and a Tac-2. The joy of spending half a day sweating in frustration over BASIC to get your name flashing in color on the screen.

William Antrum, kellory and Mike like this.
  2. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Very first - TRS80 and I don't recall the OS (I was 6)
    Second, which I had for a lot longer, was a TI/99-4A, with tape drive. Gotta love saving stuff to audio tape at 300 baud.

Mike and wastelander like this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Heh. The first was a Packard-Bell with a truncated issue of DOS 3.11 and the cheap version of what eventually became Word and Excel (can't remember the name of that program.) Seems like PB built a slew of them that didn't sell well, so I got modern for what was then cheap. Yes, it was cheap, and behaved that way. That one never went on line, but sure did have my share of BSOD, almost a daily occurrance. Taught me to fear opening the registry to make changes (in DOS) forced by the odd responses. I bet I booted into safe mode more than normal mode.

It taught me not to diddle with file extensions. Wow, what a mess I made of the file system.

Hah, remembered it. Microsoft Works.

5.25 floppy was all it had other than an HDD of limited capacity. I put in a tape drive for backups.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
    Tracy and Mike like this.
  4. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

I believe it was a Commodore64 w/ Tape deck & a B&W tv to play JumpMan on!

Mike likes this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Personal Computers
    Tandy Color Computer... with a 6809E Processor..... No real OS, just a Basic Interpreter....
    Then a preProduction Mac 128K that came with a Non-Disclouser Agreement

Institutional Computers
    Borroughs D12 running a Fortan IV Interpreter, in college
    Data General Mini running Cobol & SnoBal @ UofW
    Dec10 running DecOS with the Data General as an I/O PreProcessor @ UofW

Mike likes this.
  6. Mike

Mike Ol' Army Sergeant Monkey

C64 with tape drive. Eventually graduated to C128 with a built in 5 1/4" floppy, then got the external 5 1/4" floppy and could disk copy so quickly, lol.

stg58 likes this.
  7. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Yeah, a trash80 was my first as well, in school. Though I had an older one that played floppy discs only, and had a word game called Tanka II. Never seen it again, but it was much like a word puzzle /adventure.

Mike likes this.
  8. DarkLight

I used to play a Star Trek type game on the TRaSh 80. Great big 15" floppy disks.

Mike and kellory like this.
  9. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Apple IIc.
    Learned basic programming on it. Thought it something special when I could run a flight simulator because it had a whopping 640k of ram
    [​IMG]
    Not my picture, but that is the system, I even had the external disk drive.

The first computer I bought was a Micron 486DX2. It had an 80Mb HDD and I thought I would never fill it up.

Mike likes this.
  10. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Vic 20

Mike likes this.
  11. Georgia_Boy

Georgia_Boy Monkey+++

My first job was installing/maintaining early 1400 series and 360 systems. My favorite was a triplex CP67 system destined for French Canada. Its specs were microscopic compared to today's laptops.

Mike likes this.
  12. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

Sanyo clone of PC/XT with 8088 TURBO! which brought it up to 8 (EIGHT!) MHz.
    I paid extra for the amber monitor and the second 5-1/4" floppy drive, and upgraded to FIVE HUNDRED AND TWELVE KILOBYTES of RAM! I was uptown! No hard disk.
    It was included in the NRI Master Course in MicroComputers and MicroProcessors that the Air Force helped me pay for.

Mike likes this.
  13. DarkLight

I admit that it still amazes me that I have more processing power in my phone than my first PC (nevermind what they used to send people to the moon). Heck, there's probably more processing power in my INKJET PRINTER than in my first PC!

Brokor, Yard Dart, Mike and 2 others like this.
  14. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

My first was an Apple IIe. Duo floppy drive, unbelievably slow! Used to write programs in Apple Basic.. That was a long time ago!!

Mike likes this.
  15. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Remember having phone cradles? Went to local tech school but by semester's end the system was already obsolete. When in college ('63+) "The" computer on campus took a specially built humidity temp controlled room about 40' feet long. Thousands of switches, tubes, etc. and the operator had to punch in a card with queries. Think it was $2 per question(for her time) and it might take 10-15 minutes for the answer to click out. We engineering students still were forbidden to use calcalulators but forced to use slide rules. Still have mine in it's little black leather case with handy belt loop.

kellory and Tracy like this.
  16. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

They are great for making straight lines!! :D

17. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

TI/99-4A, followed by a Mac SE30.

18. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

:oops: Egads, I'm old! I remember phone couplers, mimeographs, green and orange screens, DOS... :oops:

RightHand and Yard Dart like this.
  19. DarkLight

Oh, I remember phonic couplers, I just never owned one.

Mike likes this.
  20. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

.....there were great advances, after we decided to electrify the manual abacus .......;)

Mike likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7