Your Garden Report- 2016

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by Motomom34, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

How is everyone's garden and growing season? I Opted not to plant this year. I have my herbs which are doing amazing. I had sprouted some organic white potatoes and threw them in my garden boxes and surprisingly one is blooming. I haven't watered or tended at all.

Ipphone 088.JPG Ipphone 089.JPG

I had stuck some apple trees in the wild area. The tops died and were victim to elk grazing. I discovered that the trees are sending up shoots from the root area. I am happy that I am having growth and will be caging them in. I think this is a good sign. I thought the elk had killed them but the roots survived.

Ipphone 092.JPG

An issue I am having is one of the shape trees that I planted is dying. If not dying, it is not thriving. The leaves are turning brown. I am not sue what type of tree (I forgot). I know that the caging needs to be expanded but I do not think that would cause the leaves to die. Anyone seen this before?

Ipphone 090.JPG Ipphone 091.JPG

2. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Our garden is doing great...especially now that the master gardener has returned. Green onions, spinach and lettuce are ready. Carrots, green beans, cucumbers, cabbage and tomatoes doing well and of course strawberries. We also planted 3 rows of raspberries which are doing well. We did have a week of weeding upon her return which darn near did me in...grumble, grumble, grumble! But, so far so good, our worry is the squirrels as they like the strawberries when they get ripe. It's then my normal, sweet, kind, nature loving wife comes screaming into the house for me to get the gun! LOL!! :)

2016-07-04-139[1].

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
    Motomom34 likes this.
  3. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I make no guarantees whatsoever, however, I have read that if it is a mineral deficiency of some sort, if you mix the following in these ratios you will have a grow solution that will cover everything. 1 tbs powdered miracle grow, 3 tbs Epsom salts, 1 gallon or water. I have not yet used this. I read it on Pinterest.

Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  4. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Attached Files:

Gopherman and Motomom34 like this.
  5. marlas1too

marlas1too Monkey+++

just today I picked and snapped 32 quarts of beans and tomorrow I will be canning all day

6. BlueDuck

BlueDuck Monkey+++

My garden is doing pretty well right now. Had some pretty heavy frost damage two or three weeks ago. What didn't die, is getting stronger...

Motomom34 likes this.
  7. smithcp2002

smithcp2002 Monkey+++

Radish all gone time to replant. Corn, squash, onion, garlic, tomato and carrot all on there own time and doing well. Beans and peas are in flower.

8. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Good luck. The poo I finally got had citronella ants in it. So please check before you dump it in your garden.

May I ask what you do with all that? Can, freeze, dehydrate or eat and give away extra. I always find it interesting what people do with their harvest. I know one person who just grows stuff but never eats (dislikes veggies).

9. Gopherman

Gopherman Sometimes I Wish I Could Go Back to Sleep

I harvested some of the lemon Grass I started from stalks I bought at Whole foods last year and Lemon Balm yesterday. DANG that stuff is POTENT!!!
    We were cleaning the Lemon Balm in the sink and taking off dead leaves, I started feeling a little Giddy but my wife got overwhelmed and became nauseous.
    I dried it in the dehydrator along with the lemon grass, it smells awesome. I'll get some fresh passion flower leaves and make a Great tea out of this stuff.
    Tomatoes are doing too well! Couple plants over 10' high and cherry tomatoes are going insane. Planted 20 Loquat Trees and they are all doing well.
    Blueberries, too many, Harvested over 20 lbs and stopped. Inviting friends over to help themselves now. I'm done for this season.
    Zuch. and Squash I started last Month are putting out now an the Okra plant's are almost 2' tall. What a Beautiful plant!! We don't even like Okra but I wanted to try it anyway. I love the Plant!
    Pepper- Jalepenos doing great, Sweet peppers are putting out but I must be doing something wrong, the plant's are only a 18" tall and Scraggly looking.I am getting peppers off them but I'm not impressed.
    Passion fruit vines are producing flowers a month and a half sooner than last year. I am excited about that.
    I tried culling my Peaches this year and I have to say that is totally the ticket. For the first time I have nice sized peaches and they are ripening on the tree. I will still end up with a couple hundred peaches when all is said and done, but I pulled twice that many off.

10. smithcp2002

smithcp2002 Monkey+++

Motomom34, I try to live by a 20% give away, 40% use, 40% save.

Motomom34 and Gopherman like this.
  11. Gopherman

Gopherman Sometimes I Wish I Could Go Back to Sleep

It could be shock. As long a all the leaves don't fall off you should be fine next season.My figs did this after putting fruit on, but, they have new growth forming already.
    When transplanting anything, make sure you do it when there is going to be a couple cloudy days in a row. The Plant is already under duress and bright sun just exacerbates the problem. You also have to water it every day for at least a week.
    Give it a month, your growing season just started a little while ago.

Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  12. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

Kale is doing great, but nights are still cool. What I'm enjoying now are berries. Red raspberries are really producing, black raspberries are just starting to ripen, as are the blueberries. Strawberries, at least the kind we grow, are done for this year. Wife did set out, (split the patch), several new plants, she informed me, they will need daily watering. We need rain, big water tank is half empty - pumping well water for most garden plants, tank is for berry bushes - until empty, then switch over to well water.

Out in the orchard, cherry trees are loaded and turning red, apples not doing so great, pears okay, peaches really look good so far. I see wild mulberries are ripening. one bush in the chicken lot dropping berries for the chickens.

Bee yard is settled in. Number one hive is really cranking, #s 2&3, (new-bees - new caught swarms), are settled in and growing, far as I can tell, I stay out of the hives, unless it looks like something going on that needs checked.

Here's a little video watch CaliKim29 tell you how to grow your tomatoes, works on other plants as well.

Edit note: Got a notice that I posted this in the wrong thread, belongs in the 2017 garden thread. I belong to other forums that have undated garden threads, I did a quick search and got the 2016 instead if the 2017. My next update, I'll try to pay closer attention.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    Dunerunner, Gator 45/70 and Yard Dart like this.
  13. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

They need to breed a tomato plant that will ripen fruit in 60 degree weather...And tastes good!

BTPost and Wild Trapper like this.
  1. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 11, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Starfruits!

In flight
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
  4. Alanaana
  5. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Foot hooping
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 28, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  8. Alanaana
    I love Sundays!
  9. Alanaana
  10. Alanaana
    I'm always happier outside!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  11. Alanaana
  12. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  13. Alanaana
  14. Alanaana
  15. Alanaana
    Media

Garden

My herb garden loves the rain.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  16. Alanaana
    Somewhere... can you see it?
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 24, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  17. Alanaana
    Media

Blue_skies

And sunshine
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 20, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  18. Alanaana
  19. Alanaana
    Blossom
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Oct 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  20. Alanaana
    Tropical flowers
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Oct 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7