Your Ideal Survival Retreat Location

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OzarkSaints, Jan 24, 2010.

1. OzarkSaints

OzarkSaints Monkey++

thanks for all the brain food fellas!

2. texican

texican Monkey+

The areas most survivable are also going to be the places least favorable for agriculture... humans settle and prosper in areas where they can grow the most food. One must juggle the survivability calculus equations to see whether the security provided by living in a remote desolate area outweigh the concerns of not being able to grow enough food to survive.

If you stored enough food, ag would be a concern... but eventually, it would. Even if you had a five year store of food, up in a remote Idaho mountainside location, you could always lose it to a catastrophic wildfire, or have to leave your stores behind when the golden horde descends upon you... or a small raiding force forces you from your refuge.

Personally I'd rather have security of remoteness than good agricultural prospects.

Iffen I were to move, it'd have to be better than what I have now...

At least 200 acres, preferably 2000.
    Unlimited source of water... currently have a 9 acre lake, with >60M gallons capacity.
    Unlimited free energy... currently have free natural gas and 'drip gas condensate' (usable in oil lamps and in vehicles) available and being used.
    No close neighbors... one moved in recently, a mile away (booo)
    Temporary neighbors... a mile away, include three doctors, several dentists, and other specialized professionals.
    Plenty of free timber, pasturage, wild game, room for my livestock.

I daresay there are few properties out there that have free gas available.

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Actually, there are more than just a few in Ohio and PA. Probably also in WVa and the oil patch, too. The worm in that apple is well maintenance when the balloon goes up. As long as the O&G company is maintaining the well, you get the gas if it is in your lease. When (not if, see peak oil threads) the well produces less than commercial quantities, the O&G company can either plug and abandon it or leave you to maintain the well yourself.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7